1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OEM 17" vs Plus Package 17" Wheels

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by d2mini, May 9, 2012.

1. AZGeek

AZGeek Semi-informed Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    F8L sold me on the Michelin Primacy MXM4. Got my Five today with the OEM 17's and noticed it had the Toyos. So I am glad I picked up the Primacy's to do a total swap out with the Momo Winter 2 rims. The off-set there with be +38, which should be out 1/2 inch more than the OEMs are now. (Assuming I understand off-set measurements :rolleyes:)

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The MXM4 is unlikely to match the MPG of the OE Toyos but they are superior in every other way. they are safer too! :)

3. PlacerLode

PlacerLode Prospecting Planet Earth

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have a set of the 17" Plus Forged wheels sitting here with MXM4's ready to mount as soon as I find programmable TPMS here locally. I can say the Plus Forged wheel looks very nice and I can't wait to get them on the car !

4. rickelchilango

rickelchilango Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Got my Prius on the 11th of April and filled up twice since then.. Just yesterday I got my new wheels and had them installed.. Went from stock 15's to 18's (18x8 40mm offset with the Continental DWS tires - 215/40/18 - thanks for the tire help, BTW).. I'm keeping record of the miles and gallons of each fill up, so I'll have some numbers for you as well.. The only thing though, is I'm also getting my car lowered (TRD springs), so the numbers will be stock 15's vs 18's lowered..

1 person likes this.
  5. rickelchilango

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What is the benefit of programmable TPMS? Why not use the ones that came with the stock wheels?

6. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Interesting... I would have thought the PLUS forged rims would weigh a bit less.

7. d2mini

d2mini Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Since they are OEM, I'm hoping it's a good mix of strength/weight.
    I'm tired of bending cheap rims on potholes... one of the reasons I went with these.

8. BreitrthnU

BreitrthnU Can you smell the premix?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not trying to hijack a thread here. If the oem 17s are 24-25lbs the PPP17s 20-21lbs, If I got Enkei RPF1 which are labeled at 16-17lbs for the 18 inch size would the lighter weight make up any difference in MPG loss?

9. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In theory it should but everyone that has gone with super lightweight wheels (of the same size, couldn't detect a difference. It will help with acceleration and braking, however.

The problem with the RPF1 is the spokes are too short so it makes the wheel look smaller than it is. So that an 18 sorta looks like a 17. :(

1 person likes this.
  10. SuperchargedMR2

SuperchargedMR2 Diehard Rams Fan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My dealer looked up the PP wheels & said they weighed 19 lbs. I posted it a while back with the exact number & offset was around 42 if I remember right.

11. SuperchargedMR2

SuperchargedMR2 Diehard Rams Fan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Less weight will always help. It will take less energy to spin the wheel when accelerating & less braking energy when stopping. The wheel weight will have little impact at a stead speed though, that's where tire choice makes the biggest difference. ;)

12. rickelchilango

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Actually, 43mm..

PlusWheels.png

1 person likes this.
  13. d2mini

d2mini Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I just weighed the 17" Plus wheels. I got 18.8 lbs. Nice. :cool:

2 people like this.
  14. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's good, but realize that even if you had 5 pound wheels, the weight of the tire as rotational mass toward the outer radius is what will affect mpg the most. Look for the lightest tires that meet your needs.

15. d2mini

d2mini Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'm not worried about it. My Toyo's only have 1500 miles on them so i'm swapping them over.

16. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Tire weight is only one part of the equation and likely has a smaller impact than design, construction materials and compound. There are many lightweight tires that do not offer the better mpg than a heavier LRR tire. My AVID Ascend is a good example of this. It's heavy! :eek:

17. PlacerLode

PlacerLode Prospecting Planet Earth

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Shrader programmable TPMS allow code cloning and would allow me to keep my stock wheels / tires for "winter wheels" here in cruddy rain soaked Seattle and I could swap them at will and the ECM wouldn't know the difference

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What is the torque spec on the Plus wheel lug nuts? Does anyone else feel the full Plus Perf package cars have slower acceleration than a Two with stock 15's?

Mike

19. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sure acceleration is slower but not sure by how much. I always noticed very sluggish acceleration when I put the 17s on my GenII. It felt as if I was dragging something. :( In a 0-60mph test I doubt it would be much slower though.

20. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm thinking the wheels/tires and all that glass on the roof is where the weight is coming from. Now I don't have actual spec's but I did notice there is a yellow sticker in the drivers door jamb that says this vehicles weight limit has been reduced by 58 pounds. Sounds like the rear swaybar weight. I think it is a heavier car than the 2010 II's that I have driven. It's still an awesome car but that is one thing I noticed different. Just have to be a bit more careful on two lane roads passing people. It's not like driving my other car with the blower where I have to try to keep it on the road 'cause the acceleration is so wicked :p

I do prefer the look of the PP wheels verses the Five wheels though.

Mike :madgrin: