1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OEM 17" vs Plus Package 17" Wheels

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by d2mini, May 9, 2012.

1. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You can always add springs later. Do what you can do today and other things later on. That's the beauty of having so many parts available for this car. Kind of like that old country song something about I got one piece at a time... :)

One drawback of makin your car look all purdie, is you might not want to take it out and get her all dirty :( I only got 800 something miles on mine since new in late April [​IMG] She hasn't seen one drop of rain so far.

Mike [​IMG]

2. SCRWGas5

SCRWGas5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    LOL... I hear ya man. This is my daily commuter and long road tripper. So she will get some mileage regardless. Her job is to keep miles off the other cars. But I still want her to look a certain way. Picking up my lower door moldings tomorrow and the wheels and kit should come in another 2-3 days. Then I gotta worry about a quick and good install. Hopefully d2 isn't lowered and can show me some pics. d2mini come in bro!

3. ucsmfu

ucsmfu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    mine will be coming soon too :) can't wait !!

4. SCRWGas5

SCRWGas5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Damn dude...you sure got a lot of stuff already done. Looks like you already have the plus kit on. So you got wheels on the way now then. You lowered? Wish I could tint like you but here in NC if you're not a minivan or SUV you're limited to 35% all round. Right now I'm a completely stock looking 5 in black. 35% black tint all round.

5. ucsmfu

ucsmfu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    yup, wheels on the way, lowering rocker moldings on the way, springs already here. Bino's L shape DRL led lights plus turn signal combo coming too + Revier high mount stop led bar coming too :) + TRD rear sway bar, almost forgot :p

Sad thing is that i'm on vacation right now, will be fun installing everything when I come back

6. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd like to have a Two for a daily drive anywhere car. My drive anywhere vehicle is, shhh don't tell anyone, a SUV. My Prius replaced a gas eating car with a blower under the hood which was my summer only play car. So now my Prius is my summer only play car. My last summer car I put 10,500 miles on it in 6 years.

Those lower door trim pieces will look incredible in person. Just wait. Bring some paper towels to wipe up your drool :) Your gonna turn your car from a yea it looks freakin cool car to a Oh My, this baby is saweet!!! You might even spend hours in the garage just staring at it. Serious :)

I haven't yet trusted the 3M film on the front end of mine for road trips. Last week I was in Iowa in a rental RAV4 and had a few big trucks hauling gravel blow by be heading the other way on two lane roads. Holy shit you should have heard the rocks hitting that RAV4. It was a shame seeing the windshield all sand blasted. It actually had chalky spots where the rocks hit it. I would have freaked if that was my Prius.

Make sure you post up some before & after pics of your project. Always nice seeing what other members are doing with their rides. D2 Dennis should chime in in the daylight hours. I think most :) people on this forum hit the sack early. So it seems anyhow...

Mike

7. SCRWGas5

SCRWGas5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Cool man. Thanks for the hopes. I will post my before and afters for sure. I have an '11 M3 and an '11 535i which my wife mainly drives. The M3 put on 30,000 miles in 2 years. The 535i nearly the same. We both have long work commutes and I like to take long road trips. So, this was my solution. Not to mention the fix for my conscience on having an 18mpg V8 as a fun/daily car. The Prius has taught me a whole new appreciation for driving and the automotive experience on a whole. I love it. Only had it a week so far and I think I've driven one of the others a grand total of once since. I on vacation right now as well but keeping it close to home for now. So should have my stuff installed asap. Cheers for now! (y)

WE0H and ucsmfu like this.
  8. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I drool over Mike's car too. :)

9. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Your's is droolable too :)

Mike

F8L likes this.
  10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe before I put the 15s back on. lol

11. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea those 17's were cool :) As long as you keep that avatar, that's what we'll remember your car by no matter what wheels you got on her now.

Mike

F8L likes this.
  12. SCRWGas5

SCRWGas5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Ok guys...so far I have the 17's on and the lower door moldings. Both installed today. I'm still struggling to find someone in Charlotte to install the ground effects kit for me :(. Here are some before and after shots.
    Before....
    priusnm3.jpg

Before...
    2012-08-19 14.14.33.jpg

After...
    2012-08-31 19.30.24.jpg

After...
    2012-08-31 19.29.50.jpg

adizon, F8L and WE0H like this.
  13. SCRWGas5

SCRWGas5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    See the befores and afters above bro. Now to find a ground effects kit installer. I don't think I'm gonna bother to lower it.

14. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks cool, but,,, man it looks like a 4x4 without the springs :)

Mike

15. SCRWGas5

SCRWGas5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    LOL...man whatever:cool: . I don't want the quality of the ride to change. I've lowered cars before and swore I wouldn't go back to that anymore :whistle: . But who knows. I'll wait and see if with the ground effects and make final decision.

16. wotcher

wotcher Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    the trd springs were designed with the 17 plus forged rims in mind. the drop is very minimum.

17. SCRWGas5

SCRWGas5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hmmm.....well I may just end up with them. I just don't want to sacrifice ride comfort for the stance. I have a performance car. This one is for efficient cruising in comfort, especially on longer drives. Any thoughts?

18. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've driven lowered cars and trucks for the last 2 decades and I know what you mean. I drove The Critic's 2011 on the TRD springs and it rode even softer than my stock 2012. It is not harsh in the least. The only gripe I had was the bounce you feel after the rear of the car goes over a speed bump. The quality of the ride on 15s made me question if it was lowered or not.

19. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    IDK, I absolutely love the way my car drives and feels :) and the look? I seen this fellow today going the other way on a divided 45 mph road in a red Solar 3 or 4 and he about twisted his head off staring at my car [​IMG] I should'a waved but thought about it too late :(

[​IMG]

Not much gap from the rubber to the sheetmetal and a nice streetable ride quality.

Mike

20. Dark_Prius

Dark_Prius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Did you correct your camber? I worry I will need to change tires every year.

LT26i ? 2