1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OEM Back Up Camera Successfully Installed

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by frenchie, Dec 15, 2004.

1. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    any chance, that when done, you will make a kit to sale for this? or instructions and parts?

2. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    frenchie, I can't tell from your post if you modified the converter module like brosnan, or if it's "unadulterated."

Nate

3. frenchie

frenchie Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    to nate
    the converter is the ORIGINAL one.

to v6anacondachild
    I am not planning to do business with this (no time...).
    I will try to prepare a doc explaining what & where to buy; how to install....

4. frenchie

frenchie Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    to nate
    about converter, maybe you can check on the toyota's website what they use on the landcruiser: http://www.toyota.com/landcruiser/key_feat...navigation.html.
    with the ref, it is possible to ask to your friend KOJI what is the price :wink:
    I am pretty sure it would work with prius.
    :guns: It is impossible to consult the technical website from outside USA :guns:

5. brosnan

brosnan Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    frenchie: Thanks for your great discovery that the 08635-28020 converter actually has a video input and switching capability. Can you confirm that the pinout of the video input is (looking into the 8 pin white connector on the left):

Top Left: TX+
    Top Right: RED
    Left to Right on lower row of 6: TX-,VIDEOGND,GND,SYNC,BLUE,GREEN

And I suppose you must have connected the TX+ and TX- lines in parallel with the AVCLAN wires (pink TX- and white TX+) of the N3 connector on the NAV ECU in order to activate and get the Camera OK indication? Is that right?

Great work!

6. brosnan

brosnan Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    frenchie: Could you also have a look inside your color converter and see what IC part # they use for the sync and color separation? Maybe if it's some standard National Semi or Analaog Devices part we can build our own cheaper based on instructions from the chip vendor.
    Thanks,

7. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The camera ECU for the Land Cruiser in the USA is part number 86792-60050 and it costs over $800.

While I was at it, the DVD player is part number 86270-60112 and costs over $2200.

So, frenchie/ brosnan, are you telling me the converter you guys are using 08635-28020 is only black and white? Or is it a limitation of the NTSC input not being correct?

I'm curious, what car does this part number come from? (Which Toyota only has B&W rear camera?) Maybe no one knows.

brosnan, are there no chips for processing color in the 08635-28020 converter?

By the way, using www.worldlingo.com's machine translation link (translate from english to english) it may be possible to access the techinfo.toyota.com website from outside the USA.

Input this URL https://techinfo.toyota.com/indexhttps.html into the machine translation address to create an account. I haven't tried this; let me know if it works.

I have the wiring diagram for the Land Cruiser's camera hookup; it is hooked up exactly as you might expect, it just goes in between the NAV ECU and the MID.

Nate

8. frenchie

frenchie Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    to mike
    a) maybe the part 08635-28020 is really old and can process only B/W...
    B)I confirm the wiring.
    c) there is nothing to be seen regarding ICs.
    d) ok to send you pictures....

to nate
    thanks for info.
    I am afraid that what the price you saw seems to be the actual market's price.
    big expensive cars with big expensive options :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

but we are the bests :p
    what I installed is really working.
    anyway I don't see any interest to have the cam in the diag screen...
    so to be positive:
    1) find a nice cam
    2) install it the right way
    3) find a NTSC --> RGBS converter
    4) create a nice harness from 08635-00010 & 90980-11922
    so you do not touch to the N3 harness.

both of you send me by pm a contact to keep in touch.

9. brosnan

brosnan Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Nate: No, they seem to use discrete transistors/resistors for the sync/video separation in the 08635-28020. This is fairly easy to do when you just want to extract monochrome images. Based on the Japanese sites which come up with a Google search on the converter part number, it seems to have been intended for the Toyota Estima (a Japan-only model) and seems to be strictly black and white in the conversion process (although it seems to pass through all the colors from the Nav signal based on frenchie's recent posts). In any case I get monochrome images on the display even when I insert color NTSC signals into it (DVD, video camera, color cameras, etc).
    Converters which extract the color information from camera inputs will likely be doing so with the help of integrated circuits specifically for that purpose. I'd guess that the #173 converter frenchie is using probably has a dedicated chip for that purpose inside it.

10. frenchie

frenchie Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    to Mike
    maybe you could buy that one wich seems not too expensive
    http://www.converters.tv/products/converte...verters/43.html
    and create yourself the convert/bypass function with some 4066s activated by the reverse signal from N2.
    unless converters.tv refuses to sell it in usa.

maybe it would be necessary to adapt the sync polarity & level. but I believe it would not be a problem for you...

you can forget to try reverse engineering on the 173 conv.
    it is using an atmel chip and the quality is so high , it would not be cost effective to imitate .
    to see it in detail go there and click on the bottom link:
    http://fxm78.perso.cegetel.net/

the best solution is : spend one day in Akihabara (with a translator).

11. brosnan

brosnan Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  12. frenchie

frenchie Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    connector 90980-11922.
    It is a toyota part .
    you can see it in my small doc page 5.
    My toyota dealer made a special request for this part (not in catalog).
    after that I waited around 40 days.

13. frenchie

frenchie Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    to mike.
    about 90980-11922
    this morning I made a nice (hot) :idea: experiment:
    I inserted male pins in the female housing connector and it works fine...
    that means if you have a free female connector ,you can use it instead of the male one.
    of course these females connector cannot clip and you will have to attach them.

14. brosnan

brosnan Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    frenchie: Very clever. If I can't track down the 90980-11922 then I'll just order another 08635-00010 and "misuse" the small housing on that to make the mating connector. That will probably outlive my blob of hot melt glue and copper wires I'm using now.

15. brosnan

brosnan Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This K-00023 kit: http://akizukidenshi.com/catalog/items2.ph...p?p=1&q=K-00023 may do the trick for color video conversion. It seems to take NTSC video in and output analog RGB and Sync. It's based on the Mitsubishi M52042FP video chip. I'll try and get one to see it's compatible with the U.S. Prius display Nav input. It's cheap (~$30) but may be hard to obtain outside Japan.

For a crude translation, google on k-00023 and 2,700
    and click Translate this page on the first hit. Then click on the photo of the kit on the left. This link might go there directly: http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...hl%3Den%26lr%3D

16. brosnan

brosnan Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In case you wondered, the US model (2004 w/Nav) also works with the 08635-28020 as described by frenchie. It switches to (b&w) camera mode whenever you shift into reverse. Otherwise, all normal screens are still displayed in color. I've upgraded my camera to the one frenchie mentioned also - this looks nicer and is more weatherproof than the prior camera.

Also, I've arranged to get the color conversion kit (mentioned in the prior post) on Jan 24. Will let you know whether it works and whether it's easy to add a similar "switch on reverse" feature.

Meanwhile, does anyone want me to update the instructions for use of the 08635-28020 converter? Probably you'd prefer to hear about the color version, right?

17. flemming

flemming New Member

I've been looking into backup cameras for the last couple of days because in addition to a Prius I also own a Tundra (which could really take advantage of one). I came across this post from several months ago which talks about integrating a backup camera with the Toyota navigation system.

FAQ: Adding a backup camera to the Solara nav

The posts in that forum make the process seem a whole lot more straight forward, but perhaps I don't understand all of the details. I thought I post it though since it might provide some more useful information.

Robert

18. brosnan

brosnan Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi Robert,
    Thanks for the additional info. I've looked through the link you gave and it looks like you're lucky on the Tundra. It appears to accept standard NTSC video signals when connected directly to the navigation control unit. Unfortunately it seems that's not the case for the Prius - it seems to need a converter between the nav control unit and the display. But at least we know of 2 now that will do the job. And the hunt is on for a cheaper color converter available in the US.

19. brosnan

brosnan Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Potentially good news for those of you without navigation but interested in backup cameras or other video sources. It seems the 08635-28020 converter's presence on the AVC LAN is probably enough to activate video inputs of the MFD. I disconnected my navigation system and the car behaved as if it did not have one (pressing MAP did nothing for example). Then I shifted into reverse and the the backup camera image showed on the screen!

To be sure, we'd have to try this on a car that never had navigation. But it seems pretty likely to work. I don't know if the non-nav Prii have the Nav cable harness in place, so it may be necessary to pull the dash apart (not hard) and find the connector used for video input on the back of the MFD.

20. frenchie

frenchie Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    bravo Mike
    but there is a problem with car without nav there is no button for map on steering wheel neither around the mfd for map or dest.
    when checking on the technical drawing, the cabling is installed only with the nav.
    so that means it would be necessary :
    1) to send the rgbs & tx+- to mfd on M13.
    2) to install a contact to simulate map or dest