1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OEM Back Up Camera Successfully Installed

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by frenchie, Dec 15, 2004.

1. brosnan

brosnan Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    OK - too bad about #1 (the cable). But actually we don't need #2. With the converter in place, there is no need to press the map button. Just shifting into reverse causes the MFD to activate the video input regardless of what screen was showing beforehand. I'm pretty sure a car without navigation would do the same.

With your color converter do you have to press the map button to see the backup camera image? If so, you might be able to solve that by also connecting the B&W converter to the AVC-LAN (but not to the video signals).

2. frenchie

frenchie Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    to mike
    yes with the color converter it is necessary to select map or dest.

of course it is possible to do like you suggest : use the AVC_LAN from BW converter to activate video and use another converter for converting to RGB...
    But I just checked on the schematics and it seems difficult to get the reverse signal because there is no relay for reverse on the model without nav and it seems necessary to go to pin 23 on the panel instrument C10 to get the signal....

3. frenchie

frenchie Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    correction about reverse signal.
    it is easy to get it in the trunk on back light...

4. frenchie

frenchie Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  5. brosnan

brosnan Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's good progress, but I think I'll wait to see how the $27 kit from Japan works out :)

6. brosnan

brosnan Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Here's an attempt to recreate the posts lost in the recent crash from my Temporary Internet Files:

techogurl:
    I think Coastal camera frame is UGLY... how well would your camera integrate into his system? Pluses and Minuses?

If you were in my position would you have started with his kit and improved upon, designed your own, etc?

brosnan:
    Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:48 pm Post subject: Re: OEM Back Up Camera Successfully Installed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Coastal video system has regular composite video inputs, so it should work with the camera I mentioned any just about any other backup camera. I'd probably buy the Coastal system myself if I hadn't already created the "build your own" version already. You might want to wait for early user comments about performance and ease of installation, any surprise limitations, etc. But it sounds pretty good.

Silver 2004 #9 +EV +AutoNavUnlock +AutoPhoneUnlock -Beeps +UnlockAllDoors +BackupCam

frenchie:
    Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:53 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

techogurl wrote (): › I think Coastal camera frame is UGLY... how well would your camera integrate into his system? Pluses and Minuses?

If you were in my position would you have started with his kit and improved upon, designed your own, etc?

My opinion is clear :
    The converter from Dave seems to be EXCELLENT , the camera I use is also excellent and almost "invisible".
    I am sure there is no problem to connect this cam to the thing of Dave (it is just standard NTSC), just check the power supply.
    It ist the same work for installing the cam.
    For your info, I was waiting for the kit of Dave since August 2004, It was too long, so I started my project

techogurl:
    Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:21 am Post subject:

frenchie wrote (): ›
    The converter from Dave seems to be EXCELLENT , the camera I use is also excellent and almost "invisible".
    I am sure there is no problem to connect this cam to the thing of Dave (it is just standard NTSC), just check the power supply.
    It ist the same work for installing the cam.
    For your info, I was waiting for the kit of Dave since August 2004, It was too long, so I started my project

If you had Dave's kit what do you think you would do to improve on it?

frenchie:
    Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:33 am Post subject:

techogurl wrote (): ›

If you had Dave's kit what do you think you would do to improve on it?

It seems Dave left no place for improvment

techogurl:
    Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:44 am Post subject:

Good to know

DanMan32

Senior Prius Poster

Total posts: 666
    Donate

DanMan32:
    Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:05 am Post subject:

Dave's AV unit does not have the I Agree/Speed Lockout killer, that is a separate product for an additional $75.

I'd like to know if Dave's converter would also handle VGA as an input. I'd love to hook up my laptop to the MFD. Heck, if we can tap into the touchscreen output, we could CONTROL the laptop like a PDA.
    Clearly Dave has tapped into the AVCLAN, as he is able to make use of OEM controls.

brosnan:
    Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:32 pm Post subject: Re: OEM Back Up Camera Successfully Installed

frenchie: Using resistor divider level shifters to tap into the 4503 switch does work, but delivers less amplitude on the output. That reduces the color saturation, although the picture looks fairly good. Next I'm going to try adding gain of 2 level shifter instead of the resistors.

As far as sync goes, it looks like you can just use the sync separator on the B&W board and feed the camera video into both converters. I also tried tapping into the base of Q53 with sync signals from the color board, but didn't get good results.

passive_level_shift.jpg
    Description: passive level shifters method of color upgrade to 08635-28020

Filesize: 194.38 KB
    Viewed: 16 Time(s)
    [see new attachment below]

frenchie:
    Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:38 am Post subject: Re: OEM Back Up Camera Successfully Installed

hello Mike.
    It is sad that it is necessary to add a level shifter , that means at least 1 transistor and 3 resistors by channel and all the wiring
    Anyway, just go on and let us know...

brosnan:
    Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:07 am Post subject: Re: OEM Back Up Camera Successfully Installed

OK, I've added active level shifters with 2x gain to the cheap color board and successfully merged it with the B&W converter. Attachments show the required modifications. All transistors were 2N4124 type.

color_mod.jpg
    Description: schematic changes

Filesize: 149.2 KB
    Viewed: 8 Time(s)

DSC02119.JPG
    Description: Tapping into -4053 switch on B&W board (lift the 3 pins)

Filesize: 609.88 KB
    Viewed: 7 Time(s)

DSC02120.JPG
    Description: added level shifters/gain of 2 on color board

Filesize: 552.83 KB
    Viewed: 7 Time(s)
    (see replacement attachments below)

brosnan:
    Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:26 am Post subject: Re: OEM Back Up Camera Successfully Installed

I should have mentioned the picture now looks great. Here are some example photos of the display with backup camera, DVD or TV video sources.

screen_shots_sm.jpg
    Description: Color video examples using 08635-28020 converter modified with M52042FP based color kit.

Filesize: 75.72 KB
    Viewed: 17 Time(s)

Silver 2004 #9 +EV +AutoNavUnlock +AutoPhoneUnlock -Beeps +UnlockAllDoors +BackupCam

frenchie:
    Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:47 am Post subject: Re: OEM Back Up Camera Successfully Installed

congratulations for your new baby.
    next step would be to use a small circuit board, I think your 3D sculpture looks funny but I would be be afraid to have it shaking in a car
    could you explain how you succeeded to move the legs of this very tiny 4053?

saechaka:
    Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:05 am Post subject: Re: OEM Back Up Camera Successfully Installed

brosnan wrote (): › I should have mentioned the picture now looks great. Here are some example photos of the display with backup camera, DVD or TV video sources.

can you mention where and what brand of these three accessories you purchased as i'm saving up to get them right now. thanks

techogurl:
    Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:53 am Post subject:

Those backup cam pics are beautiful...they are just awesome. Great job.

brosnan:
    Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:15 am Post subject: Re: OEM Back Up Camera Successfully Installed

Quote: › could you explain how you succeeded to move the legs of this very tiny 4053?

I used a Exacto knife and a small tip soldering iron. While the solder is molten, hold the knife blade parallel to the PCB and slide it between the solder pad and the IC lead. Then push the lead away from the PCB gently. After that, clean up excess solder with solder wick to be sure the two are isolated. It helps to have a loupe or microscope to confirm they are separated.

And yes, there's a chance these "3D wiring" components might move around in vibration in the car. Surface mount parts would be a bit more robust, especially if you created a small custom PCB for them.

Quote: › can you mention where and what brand of these three accessories you purchased as i'm saving up to get them right now. thanks

The parts involved are:
    Toyota 08365-28020 B&W converter ~$70 ( http://www.japanparts.com )
    Akizukidenshi K-00023 color kit ~$27 ( http://akizukidenshi.com/catalog/items2.ph...p?p=1&q=K-00023 ) (Japan delivery only as far as I know)
    Toyota 08635-00010 cable ~$10 ( http://www.japanparts.com )
    Toyota (ECLIPSE OEM) 08634-00120 camera ~$300 ( http://www.japanparts.com )
    Various wires, resistors, transistors, capacitors, connectors.

And as you can see from above quite a bit of time soldering tiny stuff!

saechaka:

Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:14 am Post subject: Re: OEM Back Up Camera Successfully Installed

[/quote]

The parts involved are:
    Toyota 08365-28020 B&W converter ~$70 ( http://www.japanparts.com )
    Akizukidenshi K-00023 color kit ~$27 ( http://akizukidenshi.com/catalog/items2.ph...p?p=1&q=K-00023 ) (Japan delivery only as far as I know)
    Toyota 08635-00010 cable ~$10 ( http://www.japanparts.com )
    Toyota (ECLIPSE OEM) 08634-00120 camera ~$300 ( http://www.japanparts.com )
    Various wires, resistors, transistors, capacitors, connectors.

And as you can see from above quite a bit of time soldering tiny stuff![/quote]

thanks for mentioning that , i was also curious about what brand and model are you using to watch dvd's and tv?

brosnan:
    Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:39 am Post subject: Re: OEM Back Up Camera Successfully Installed

Quote: › i was also curious about what brand and model are you using to watch dvd's and tv?

I'm using the Blaupunkt DVD-MEs (~$170) for DVD/MP3/TV sources. I've modified it with a relay so if it's off, the backup camera video passes through to its video output, which feeds the converter discussed above.

See photo 15 in http://home.comcast.net/~brosnan1/backupcam.zip for more detail. The rest of that document is now out of date.

(may be missing anything after that Feb 12 post to Feb 20)

7. brosnan

brosnan Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The schematic changes attachement referred to above (active level shifters)

8. brosnan

brosnan Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Tapping into -4053 switch on B&W board (lift the 3 pins)

9. brosnan

brosnan Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    added level shifters/gain of 2 on color board

10. brosnan

brosnan Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Color video examples using 08635-28020 converter modified with M52042FP based color kit.

11. frenchie

frenchie Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :mrgreen: my prius (you remember, the one with a cam) had a daughter.
    No, that is not exact, maybe only a twin sister.
    Just to say , the second one with a cam in europe lives in Paris.
    So here is a link to a short photo gallery showing some details of the setup and of cars in situation.
    and for mike : how to get back these rattling things...
    http://fxm78.perso.cegetel.net/

12. Areometer

Areometer Silver Business Sponsor

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks Frenchie for the link & the photos. Very cool indeed.

13. frenchie

frenchie Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    hello mike
    I have a spare 90980-11922 for you.
    send me a pm :p

14. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  15. brosnan

brosnan Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've tried some of these but unfortunately all the ones I've found de-interlace the video and show it at 50/60 frames/second. The Prius display requires interlaced 30 frames/second (25 might work). I've got one more of the $27 Japanese color converter kits if anyone's inclined to go the build-it route.

16. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'll take it. Check your PM.

Nate