1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OEM Backup Camera Voltage

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Keith Elkin, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Keith Elkin

Keith Elkin Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I forget, I'll see if I can dig up my notes where I wrote it down. I still have the fuzzy issue, it seems that the pis great in daylight but a little fuzzy at night. I put high intensity backup lights in so when I back up it sort of illuminates what's behind me and helps a little.

2. Keith Elkin

Keith Elkin Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I worked in the Deer Park (North Bab) location for a week to cover someone's vacation back in 1991

3. KeepitSimple

KeepitSimple Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    what camera did you end up purchasing?

ever fix the picture quality?

4. tangokim

tangokim Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hello there Keith, i just upgraded my head unit with android and i would to do what you did with your oem backup camera. Can you pleaes show me show you attach the oem to your Aftermarket HU. thanks in advance.

Filipe PT and Toyonka like this.
  5. Toyonka

Toyonka Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'm preparing to do the same job with the Pioneer AVIC-7100NEX (Android Auto/Apple CarPlay). I'm wondering if you could post a simplified guide, including the corrected wire colors, for those of us who just want to use something like this:

And was there any confirmation if this item does the job?

Thanks in advance!

Filipe PT likes this.
  6. Keith Elkin

Keith Elkin Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Hey everyone,
    Everything you need to know is in post number 2 of this thread. Im opening up the dash tomorrow to replace my XM tuner so I'll verify the color codes but I'm pretty sure what I wrote in post 2 is correct. I did not buy a new camera, I'm using the OEM camera and stepped the voltage down to 6v using the parts mentioned in the link I put in post 2. I decided to wire the the camera's power to my backup lights since that's the only time it turns on anyway. I didn't want to chance overheating the transistor and starting a fire. (It did get that hot when I wired it wrong)

Remember to replace the colors on that page (21-24) with the colors I posted instead in post 2. If you can't follow along with that article, you shouldn't be doing this anyway... One wrong connection and you can cause a lot of damage or even a fire.

BTW, the picture quality is perfect during the day, just fuzzy at night. I think it's because my screen is much larger than the OEM screen was. I changed out my backup bulbs with super-bright LED bulbs and that helps illuminate the area when I'm backing up a night and the picture is better that way.

I did not test out that other voltage reducer which was posted, I'm sure it will work fine but you'll need a multimeter to adjust the voltage and make sure you're only outputting 6V.
    Good luck!

Filipe PT and kc5dlo like this.
  7. Felice

Felice New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi guys, great discussion!

I'm writing here also because I've installed a Pumpkin android 4.4 system on my 2011 Prius and I'm still struggling to connect the OEM rear camera, so I need your help.

I live in Europe so I have a European Prius, and the four wires that come out of the OEM camera are red, black, white and striped black/white (the latter is the ground).

I have located the other extermities of the remainig 3 wires inside the dashboard (bottom right).

Assuming that the red and the black wires are for the video signal, I guessed that the remaining white wire was to power the camera.

But there's a problem: when I put the car in reverse, there's no voltage between this white wire and the striped black/white ground wire.

Any hint ?

#27 Felice, Sep 26, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
    Filipe PT likes this.
  8. Keith Elkin

Keith Elkin Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Hey Felice, I got your message but figured I'd reply here so others can benefit if they have a similar issue.

First off, the Prius backup camera is only 6V not 12V, so you need to make sure you step the voltage down to the camera. You need to put something in like what I mentioned in the thread to tap into the 12v constant and step it down to 6v. Then take the 6v output and supply it into the red and black wires assuming those are the European power wires for the camera.

Once you supply power to the camera (only 6v!!) then see if you have a pic from the camera by activating it via your stereo... Usually there is a feature to turn it in manually. If not, you'll need to trigger your backup camera wire coming from your car stereo by either applying ground to it or 12v. Once you make sure you get video, connect your car's backup light lead to your car stereo's backup camera trigger. Usually it's your backup light to the car stereo and set the stereo to trigger the camera on 12v not ground.

9. Felice

Felice New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Keith! Just for curiosity: why isn't it possible to get some 6V somewhere else in the car? Where does the camera get it when it's connected to the original stereo?

10. Keith Elkin

Keith Elkin Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Hey Felice,
    The original stereo had a transformer in it that stepped the voltage down and sent it to the camera, I'm not sure what color wires your car needs the voltage on; I would definitely check a wiring diagram before applying voltage to wires if you aren't sure, you could blow the camera out or another component. You might want to plug the original radio in and use a multi tester on the camera harness to make sure the camera still works and then check the wires for which one has the power and ground. Also it might be wise to verify your camera's voltage at the same time to make sure the European model uses 6v too.

11. Felice

Felice New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, live news from my garage ;-)

I managed to make the camera work by applying 6V from a AC/DC converter. The aftermarket system has a wire called "reverse in" that has to be plugged on a 12V source in order for the picture to appear. When I plug it in a random 12V source, the picture on the system automatically switches to the rear camera. This is a big step forward!

Now, my next two challenges are:
    - find a 12V source behind the kickpanel that activates only in reverse gear (any idea?)
    - find some "native" 6V somewhere (I know I could easily build a little converter as you explained, but I love challenges)

Actually, with my multi tester I found a 5,8V source (which I tried but unfortunately it's not enough for the camera to operate) and a couple of 8V sources (which I didn't try because I don't want to blow my camera... especially now that I know it works!)

12. Felice

Felice New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good news: I finally decided to pull a wire from the "reverse in" wire of the aftermarket system to the reverse light. Works perfectly.

Now I'm left with the 6V issue, will keep you posted.

Filipe PT likes this.
  13. Felice

Felice New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

14. MSF1344

MSF1344 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    Hi I have the same problem , My 4 pin connector for oem toyota is black and white ( thicker ) and yellow and red ( thiner ) so how to connect to after market unit which has a RCA video output ?

15. A.J. Mahon

A.J. Mahon New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Two
    I would love to know if this was sorted out as well, I am about to do the same!

Filipe PT likes this.