1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OEM coolant vs aftermarket.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Drb0924, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Drb0924

Drb0924 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello all, new to the thread, but had a question about coolant. Is there any reason to stick with the OEM coolant from the dealer, or could I purchase its equivalent from local auto parts store?
    Also, I have been hearing all different opinions on when to change the coolant, 30k, 60k, 100k....Im in the weeds with what to do.
    Lastly, the inverter coolant. Is it best to change this when the combustion engine coolant is changed?

Thanks for the help..

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I use the aftermarket stuff from valvoline for about $12 a gallon. No ill effects on any of my cars

m.wynn likes this.
  3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    The original coolant in your 2005 Prius was Toyota premixed (pink) super long life coolant. Toyota says that it is good for the first 100k miles of use (when you have to change the coolant in both loops). If you stick with the pink Toyota coolant, you then have to change the coolant in both loops every 50k miles. If you use the red Toyota coolant (needs to be diluted 50/50), Toyota says change it every 30k miles (all of this information is in the Toyota manuals). You should also consider changing the water pumps (there are two, one for each loop) at 150k miles as they have been known to wear out. I stuck with the original Toyota pink coolant for 12 years and 288k miles in my 2004 Prius and had no cooling system issues and saw no reason to use a different brand (Besides, I was lazy and let the dealer do the drain/refills for me and they sometimes had problems bleeding the air bubbles out of the systems).

JeffD

4. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    IF........you are THAT concerned about a couple of dollars difference in the cost of coolant.......then don't consider changing it until near to the 100K mile mark that Toyota recommends. That will save you several dollars.

IF......you aren't really concerned about a small price difference AND intend to keep your car past 100K miles.......then pick a number less than 100K and change it using the Toyota coolant.