1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OEM HID headlights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by hngu7721, Jan 18, 2006.

1. vlenac

vlenac Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Can someone take a few photos of the Prius OEM HIDs: headlamp, shell,beam and publish it or send it to me? Thanks
    PS: In Europe HIDs on Prius, unfortunately, are not available.

2. lurgetaxa

lurgetaxa New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ May 14 2006, 06:54 AM) [snapback]255174[/snapback]</div>

2500 just to have hids doesnt really sound right in any case. I mean I have the basic package but i did
    put the smart key entry system completly myself and I put 3rd Gen Bmw Hella ballast with philips 4300k bi-xenon bulbs the D2S not the D2R myself for $500 with the complete smart ket wiring computers, and bulbs etc. It's no secret just find the
    right Toyota dismantling parts seller and u get your money worth, but i do have some problem with my
    lights. Every week one of my lights goes off because the 10amp fuse goes bad. I constantley have to change a
    fuse for one side each week. Dam those hella ballast are to strong. I didn't even change my headlights its all
    dealer bullshit, just manually aim the goddam thing you dont have to be so practical with those auto leveling
    ecu and sensors.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    hey someone asked and i responded. i'm not endorsing it by any means. it's prohibitively expensive.

4. Wiyosaya

Wiyosaya Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lurgetaxa @ May 29 2006, 01:52 PM) [snapback]262393[/snapback]</div>
    Personally, I'd like to know what happens when you get your Prius inspected the next time. I know that there is an inexpensive way of putting in HIDs, however, it could lead to vehicles not passing inspection, and I cannot afford, at the moment, to be without my primary source of transportation because it fails inspection for HIDs, and thus, I cannot insure it. That's my main issue.

For anyone who installs aftermarket HIDs without OEM HID reflectors, there is a chance that the mod would not be DOT approved and thus illegal where ever "DOT approved" as is required by law as it is in NY State. Yes, Yes, I know that does not mean getting caught, it is, as I said above, an issue of being without my primary transportation.

5. vlenac

vlenac Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lurgetaxa @ May 29 2006, 07:52 PM) [snapback]262393[/snapback]</div>
    What if you put 15 Amp fuse?

6. lurgetaxa

lurgetaxa New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vlenac @ May 31 2006, 12:40 PM) [snapback]263589[/snapback]</div>

I could, but I dont want to burn my wiring, plus I dont think there is a mini 15 amp fuse,
    these prius fuse are hard to find. The xenons are amazing as I said there from a bmw,
    but now it works fine. Its the second week and knock on wood my fuse dooesnt go bad.
    anymore.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wiyosaya @ May 31 2006, 08:36 AM) [snapback]263437[/snapback]</div>

What do u mean by inspection, the only inspection I know is smog check and priuses dont even have that.,
    Since its a hybrid they wont even smog check the salvage ones and why would u change your prius reflector anyway just do what I do install the ballast under the headlights and with your own handmade brakets there is a place for it to sit on. Its still oem, just without the high beam splitter which u could buy from dismantlers.

7. Wiyosaya

Wiyosaya Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lurgetaxa @ Jun 3 2006, 08:28 PM) [snapback]265325[/snapback]</div>
    Your state may not have the equivalent of the NY Inspection. It is something that we in NY have to do. Yearly, we have to take our cars to a NYS Certified "Inspection Center" and they "inspect" various components of the car like tire tread, breaks, headlights, tail lights, etc., as a NYS certification of "fitness for the road." If your car does not pass, you are given a certain amount of time to fix whatever failed the inspection. Every car that is registered in NYS has to have a yearly inspection and must pass. Otherwise, it is not legal to drive it in NYS.

As to HID conversion kits, here is a letter that I found on the web. It implies that HID conversion kits will not meet the conditions for DOT certification, and, therefore, could be illegal - dependant on your state's laws.

To sum up what the letter says, it says, in brief, that reflectors designed for halogen bulbs probably do not meet DOT requirements when retrofitted with a HID conversion bulb.

8. RichBoy

RichBoy New Member

I love my stock HID lights, they are cool !

9. lurgetaxa

lurgetaxa New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wiyosaya @ Jun 5 2006, 06:28 PM) [snapback]266419[/snapback]</div>

That sums up all my curiosity, we have that thing only for salvage cars that are repaired and need registration, but they mostly about 70% check if any part of the car like fender hood are stolen.We aslo have brake and lighting to check. Its a one time thing thow.
    u guys probably have that to and i thought california was anal about private transportation

10. BobZ

BobZ New Member

Here ya go. Good ole eBay 9000K Prius HID kit $299

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyota-Priu...sspagenameZWD1V

BobZ (AKA The King of eBay) ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seasalsa @ Mar 12 2006, 04:33 PM) [snapback]223940[/snapback]</div>