1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OEM In-dash Navigation Questions

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Akterbat, Jul 8, 2010.

?
  1. I love it!

7 vote(s)
    14.9%
  2. I like it, better than a 3rd party GPS.

12 vote(s)
    25.5%
  3. It's okay, about the same as a 3rd party GPS.

8 vote(s)
    17.0%
  4. I don't like it, worse than a 3rd party GPS.

15 vote(s)
    31.9%
  5. I hate it!

5 vote(s)
    10.6%
  1. vidman

vidman New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    thanks re the response to my... "free" upgrade offer. The word "free" should never be used as for nothing is for "free".

2. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not sure I'd go that far, but the OEM Nav is definitely not worth what Toyota wants for it. There are a few nice features, but they're offset by some bad ones, and the good features are no different from any other, much cheaper, OEM Nav system (primarily just the security of having a factory Nav system).

My biggest gripe is the inability to set destinations while in motion. I can understand Toyota's legal concerns but those could easily have been addressed by having a passenger seat interlock switch tied into the seatbelt, which would have allowed the passenger to set destinations while in motion. It's just freaking inexecusable.

If it was half the price (both in original cost and updates), it might be okay. The Nav situation (i.e., price) is yet another indication of Toyota's current sales philosophy. Toyota doesn't want to make a reasonable profit on everything, they want to make an 'outrageous' profit on everything. It's the same take-your-customers-for-granted philosophy that eventually brought GM down and, if Toyota doesn't wake up, they're going down the exact same path.

3. yadax3

yadax3 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just yesterday I entered an address into my Prius’ GPS it didn't recognize. At first I thought it must be in a new neighborhood or something (as I haven’t yet paid for Toyota's absurdly priced update CD) but it was actually in an older well-established business area.

I’d intended to MapQuest the address before I left the office but then I got busy in the morning and ran out the door at the last minute thinking I could use my GPS to get me there. I was wrong. I ended up calling a co-worker on my cell (thank goodness for Bluetooth capability) and she navigated me to my destination using the internet.

IMO the OEM is reasonably functional but, for many of the reasons listed herein, does not perform nearly as well as my Garmin. The ONLY advantage it has over my Garmin is that it is built-in.

Here are a few reasons my Garmin is so much better:

1. Portable
    2. More accurate
    2a. Locates addresses more exactly
    2b. Gives false information less often
    2c. Regular updates provide for road construction and other temporary conditions
    3. Less expensive and more convenient updates
    4. More intuitive functions - easy to use without referring to an instruction manual
    5. Choice of voices – male & female (I prefer the Aussie)

That being said, like another poster I bought my GPS as part of a package so I don’t dwell on the expense. I also assume it will increase the resale value of my car.