1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OEM leather wrap steering wheel

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by GreenClipper, Sep 19, 2011.

1. GreenClipper

GreenClipper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have a Gen 3 IV with a factory leather wrapped steering wheel. I've noticed for some time that the leather is getting "rough" at 12 o'clock, (top of wheel). I have let the 36K/Mo. warrantee run out w/o throwing a fit at my dealer. I may have to do it anyway! Has anyone else had this problem. This car does not set out in the hot sun all day long at work. I'm retired, so there are the odd times it has to endure sun/heat torture, but if that is the problem, others would surely have worse circumstances! Has anyone had this problem and complained to their dealer, and gotten a new steering wheel? If there is a thread on this elsewhere in the forum I didn't find it. Please post if you've had this problem. :confused:

2. GreenClipper

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well this is a first. Nearly a week later and no one has posted a reply to this previous post. Guess no one has had this problem. I'll keep checking, but there have been 183 viewings of this post and no replies. So I guess that tells me something.....? :rolleyes:

3. d2mini

d2mini Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'm going to GUESS, that something like the steering wheel leather getting rough/smooth/worn over the course of 3yrs/36k is going to be considered "normal" wear and tear by the manufacturer. Especially with an item like a steering wheel that gets daily abuse and with things the manufacturer can't control like sweat, body oils, jewelry, etc. Usually if something like that happens within the first year you can have success in getting it replaced, but I kinda doubt they will do anything now.

It wouldn't hurt to talk to your dealer about it, but I would brace for disappointment. :(

4. Teakwood

Teakwood Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You may be able to get a good price on replacement if you have a gentle conversation with the dealer's Customer Care Manager.
    Remember that you can attract more flies with honey than you can with vinegar.

5. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My '10 V = 2 yrs 4 mos old. Florida. I do garage park but it has seen its share of sun. The wheel is like new - no significant leather issues at all. Most of the hand wear would be at 12o'clock and 10/2 o'clock = again no wear at all.

I have had other cars in the past that had shown rough areas on the wheel after years, but cannot complain re the Prius so far. Of course the leather is not premium as upscale vehicles, but mine seems to be holding up very well.

Might you have had something on your hands (often) while driving like turpentine, (after painting) cologne, hand sanitizer, etc etc? Quite sure the dealer service rep would ask you that. Good luck...

6. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Do you have Wolverine claws? ;-)

7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, unfortunately I think wear on a leather wrapped steering wheel is going to be considered a "normal wear" item.

Also, so many factors can influence how quickly like something like that wears. From (don't be insulted) but from how clean your hands may often be, to whether or not you use a leather cleaner/conditioner on the leather. And also things like prudent use of a sun shade.

You might just try a good leather cleaner/conditioner, maybe it could rejuvinate it to the point you feel good about it, if not? You may be looking at replacement. Then going forward, I'd recommend leather conditioner periodically and prudent use of a sunshade.

PS: If you use a leather conditioner on the steering wheel, let it work in and be aware that some of them create a temporary slickness. Just wouldn't want to hear about you using some and losing control of your vehicle. I have a leather wrapped steering wheel and periodically use a very, very small amount of Meguiars leather conditioner on it...so far the wheel is holding up nicely, but when I first apply, I do have to be aware that I have done so and the wheel might be a little slick until it works in completely.

8. GreenClipper

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks guys for the replies. I think my car has had a pretty pristine 22 months of life with me. But either I have used too much hand sanitizer or else I've got a piece of inferior leather on my wheel. Don't have Wolverine claws, Ha! And I always keep a sun shade in the car and both my wife and I use it most all the time. I'm not a person who uses 12 o'clock for a hold point most of the time. I really should have had "the conversation" with my dealership when it first became apparent that there was something wrong with it. I'll probably just have to live with it until I can't stand it any longer, and put on a "wheel skin". But not sure how another thickness of a cover over this wheel will feel in my hands. It may make it too thick....? Thanks for the thoughts on it.

9. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have the same problem at the 12 o'clock position and have no idea how it got there. However, a good leather conditioner can fill in the roughness but this would need to be re-applied periodically.

10. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If you haven't already done so try cleaning it, as mentioned by Electric above. I had that problem with my old Accord after several years of use and was getting ready to buy a new cover or a new steering wheel. I cleaned it using soap and water, that worked fine and it was nice and smooth again. A good leather cleaner might be even better.

11. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    clip your fingernails

12. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Coat the steering wheel with vasoline and take it for a brisk drive on a curvy road. My guess is you will quickly forget the roughness.