1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OEM or aftermarket wiper blades

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by almypal26, Jul 19, 2013.

1. almypal26

almypal26 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Need to replace the front wiper blades. Had used Toyota inserts the first time, but looking if there are other (better) options than OEM blades. Anyone used BOSCH, RAINX, ??????

Thanks

2. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota doesn't make wiper inserts or blades. Trico or Anco and other brands make them for Toyota.
    Go to Wal-Mart or a good parts store and buy some Rain-X or other high quality brand names. Don't be sucked into
    paying a 40% to 60% markup, for the same items you can buy elsewhere :eek:

3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Bought Bosch wiper blades when they were on sale at Amazon. They are working quite well

SCH-I535

4. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I've tried and liked silicone inserts.

5. Nora

Nora Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Best wiper blades I have ever used were some Silblades I got at Amazon. And believe me, I have had many wiper blades in my life. Subaru blades are garbage, so I tried a few different brands on my Outback. Silblades were awesome. Although my brand-new stock Toyota blades are very effective, when they wear out, I'm getting Silblades. I believe you can find them at auto parts stores, I just got them at Amazon because of a gold box deal.

6. Danger

Danger Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Costco has pretty good ones.

7. MPGnutcase

MPGnutcase Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes only get a rear blade from dealer if you can't find it anywhere else
    I get my blades at Costco with coupon it's BOGO so it comes out to $8 per pair..................
    Menards sometimes they run them at $3.99 ea blade
    I change them every Spring

8. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL, when I traded in my 6-yr old Tacoma it still had the original blades on it and they worked fine. Of course they had only been used a couple dozen or so times in 6 years.

9. MPGnutcase

MPGnutcase Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four

I guess it never rains in NM

10. michinnom

michinnom Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

whatever you do, please do not purchase goodyear blades from costco. biggest piece of garbage ever. had experience with about 4 sets (including those i exchanged) and ended up returning all of them for my cars as they were pure gargabe. streaks, squeaks, skipping. junk. costco should not carry those anymore.

11. Jon Hagen

Jon Hagen Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just had the rubber tear in one spot on the long blade with my 2010 Prius. Was going to check the cost / avalibility of an insert for the original assy at the dealer, but never got it done. Was at a Menards store and saw an $8 Rain-X replacement blade assy for what I thought was a good price. It seems to wipe as good or better than the OEM blade.

12. KyleT

KyleT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have had Tripledge wiper blades which I put on my 87 Camry since 1992 and they are still almost as good as new. With a little RainX applied to my windshield every few months, I always get "20/20 vision" when it rains. I know that they are still available but not sure which stores you can buy them nowadays...

13. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Agree. I put this on my ol' odyssey to replace some really old silblades. I had a similar issue with the streaks and skipping. I ended up doing a full window clean with a clay bar and rainX. They now perform better but i wouldn't say they are great.

14. Delta Flyer II

Delta Flyer II Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Costco has Good Year Euro blades... In summer time its buy one blade get the other free or half off... I have not yet had to get blades for either Prius as they are both new, but my 4Runner and my moms and grams cars all have these. They are very durable and have no drag they are also pressed on the glass due to their shape so no chatter or smears.

Just a suggestions...