1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OEM Softex steering wheel on v

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by umichioe, Sep 21, 2012.

1. umichioe

umichioe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Finally replaced the plastic steering wheel with the OEM softex steering wheel. Feels like leather and much better driving feel now.

Hope it will last as it is not real leather. I am still clueless why the v five has softex seats but not the softex steering wheel.....

Prius v with Softex Steering Wheel 1.JPG

Prius v with Softex Steering Wheel 2.JPG

2. Guill

Guill Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Do you have any pics of the replacement process? How much did the softex steering wheel cost you and where did you get it?

3. umichioe

umichioe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  4. stearicom

stearicom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    If you got the OEM Prius wheel it is leather wrapped and not SofTex. That is what I have on my Prius Five that comes standard with Softex.

That was one thing that bothered me on the Prius V, even if you got the fully loaded Five with ATP you get a plastic steering wheel.

5. umichioe

umichioe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah. You can get the leather one. Canada has it in their packages. It is only USA messing up the package.

I intentionally get the softex one which is on the 2012 Prius. Cheaper and feels like leather.

6. stearicom

stearicom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The Prius never offered the steering wheel in SoftTex. It was either plastic or leather. The model Four and Five than came with SofTex seats came with a leather wrapped steering wheel. You are correct on the price. Retail is around $550 and you can get it online for around $400.

If somebody wanted to do this, you can probably find a leather wrapped steering wheel from a 2010-2012 Prius from a salvage yard and just swap everything over.

2012 TOYOTA PRIUS Parts - Toyota Parts Superstore

7. umichioe

umichioe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I did a bit of research on this. 2010 and 2011 Prius has Leather seat and steering wheel. In 2012, Prius has Softex seats and Softex steering wheel. The part number changed from 2011 to 2012. Price too.

Info from Toyota.com:

The 3rd Generation Toyota Prius Hybrid models and prices

SofTex-trimmed seats and steering wheel (Four and Five)

I am not comfortable put anything from the salvage yard to my new v. :)

8. stearicom

stearicom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    That is interesting. I stand corrected, I always thought the steering wheel in my Five was leather. Like you said it feels like leather. It's different from the SofTex on the seats and a lot thicker and has a texture on it.

What is the part number for the 2012 steering wheel you purchased?

9. umichioe

umichioe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    45100-47150-C0 (Softex)

OEM of 2012 Prius and Prius Plug-in. The one I got.

45100-47130-C0 (Leather. About $150 more.)

OEM of 2010, 2011 Prius.
    OEM of 2012 Prius v (Canada).

45100-47120-C0 (Plastic)

For all Prius Models.

10. koipond

koipond Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Great thread. I have a Prius C with the hideous plastic steering wheel that's bothered me from day one (so hard that it becomes uncomfortable after 10 minutes of driving). Was just at the auto show in DC and saw that the 2013 prius C and V models have what appears to be the SofTex wheel. Now of course I have to have on in my car too, but I don't want to pay $500! I just need the "wheel", not the horn or airbag assembly etc. I've done the junkyard thing before so that's an option if this wheel has been "out there" on 2012 Prius models for a while.

Anybody know the current cheapest way to get a SofTex wheel?

Thanks!

-p.s. the C seems to share the same wheel as the V (and I think regular Prius as well) for 2013

11. ImeanGreen

ImeanGreen Prius v Five BP Brigade #236

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The 2013 V five comes with softex steering wheel as standard. Don't seem to like the feel of it though. Maybe just me.

12. umichioe

umichioe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The one I bought is the steering wheel only not including horn, airbag, wiring. I agree it is overpriced. But it is a must have for me. So far so good after 5 months.