1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OEM spare tire install

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Hammersmith, May 31, 2023.

1. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    You could argue this thread should go into the modding subforum, but you can also view a spare tire as a maintenance item.

This is the parts list for a full OEM spare tire install. I'm reposting it here just so it's easy to find if someone comes along in a year or three and wants the info. MSRP prices are current as of June 2023. Most of these parts are not currently available for order as of this time, but hopefully that will change in the months to come.

Code:
    $102.13 - 42611-21280 - Wheel, Disc                spare wheel
    $121.05 - 64997-47100 - Box, Deck Floor, LH        left white foam insert
    $197.07 - 64995-47080 - Box, Deck Floor, RH        right white foam insert
    $ 17.18 - 51931-10040 - Carrier, Spare Wheel, RH   bolt that holds down wheel
    $197.07 - 64778-47090 - Protector, Spare Wheel     foam pad the wheel sits on
    $ 45.86 - 51978-47010 - Protector, Spare Wheel     steel bracket the bolt fastens to
    $  1.29 - 90179-06274 - Nut(3)                     nuts to hold down the bracket
    $105.00 - T145/90D16  - Tire                       spare tire

A discount of 30-35% for the Toyota parts is pretty easy to find. That would put the total cost of conversion in the neighborhood of $580 USD + taxes. Whether that is worth it or not will completely depend on the individual and their needs/priorities.

maxhale4, RoadPoppy, Jerry G and 5 others like this.
  2. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Note:

Two of the items from the above list are only needed if you have an AWD model.
    51978-47010 - Protector, Spare Wheel (steel bracket the bolt fastens to)
    90179-06274 - Nut x3 (nuts to hold down the bracket)

And a reminder that the spare tire conversion only works on the HEV Prius, not the PHEV Prime.

edit:
    Also, I found out the tool kits(jack+handle+wrench) are different depending on model and trim. If you want to go full OEM, the following are the correct part numbers:

(note: as far as I can tell, the only difference is the bag they come in - if any)

Prius LE
    09105-52030 - $153.97 - no bag

Prius XLE/LTD
    09105-47030 - $342.10 - bag for everything

Prime (the spare tire won't fit, but they offer a tool kit anyway)
    09105-47020 - $83.82 - bag for the box wrench and jack handle

No, I don't understand the pricings either.

Individual components:
    09111-47051 - $238.94 - jack
    09113-42030 - $22.38 - jack handle
    09150-42010 - $54.51 - box wrench
    09120-76010 - $30.77 - small bag
    09120-76020 - $352.00 - large bag

Attached Files:

#2 Hammersmith, Jul 3, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2023
    Jabog6, Uhcoustic and PrishopAWD like this.
  3. SmallTown

SmallTown New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I've wandered far from the beaten path and come across this info. We have XLE AWD and are quite happy with it, but I want a spare tire dammit. But we are not DIY people when it comes to cars. Pardon my ignorance, but can you describe how the listed parts would be used to modify the back of our car to provide storage for a spare 19-inch tire?

daisy555 likes this.
  4. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    The conversion will be super easy once(if?) the parts are available. All you'll need is the proper sized wrench(probably a 10mm or 12mm). Lots of steps below, but they're all really simple.

Step 1: Remove the floor mat and deck lid.
    Step 2: Remove anything in the white deck floor box compartments and set aside.
    Step 3: Pull out the two black plugs that hold the floor boxes down.
    Step 4: Remove the two deck floor boxes and store them away somewhere in case you need to convert it back someday(or sell them or whatever)
    Step 5: Place the metal bracket down over the three studs that are already in the floor and secure with the three nuts.
    Step 6: Insert the two new deck floor boxes and secure with the old black plugs.
    Step 7: Place the foam protector down over the bracket.
    Step 8: Place the spare wheel on the protector.
    Step 9: Secure the spare wheel with the carrier bolt.
    Step 10: Try to fit as much of the stuff that was in the old deck box trays into the new ones as you can, including a kit with the jack and wrench
    Step 11: Replace the deck lid and floor mat.
    Step 12: Sit back and enjoy an adult beverage while admiring your work.

Steps 6 and 7 might need to be flipped. Won't know until we actually have the parts and see whether the protector goes over or under the floor boxes.

I doubt the conversion will take more than 10-15 minutes. Two biggest problems will be getting everything to fit in the much smaller new boxes and trying to find storage space in the basement/garage/shed/attic for the old boxes.

PrishopAWD, SmallTown and daisy555 like this.
  5. SmallTown

SmallTown New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Awesome, appreciate your spelling it out for me. If I can get the parts it seems like something I could try to do. Thanks again for posting this here in the first place--great contribution to the forum.

daisy555 likes this.
  6. Downrange

Downrange Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    Here's something I hadn't seen yet. You can use a Prius V spare, if you can source one! Don't know what the cost might be, or if any are available, and it's for a 23 Prime, but useful info maybe.

GcinFl, PrishopAWD, kerbear54 and 2 others like this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Contact Toyota USA, link this thread, ask the question:

When are you going to fix this?

And maybe this one:

Do any of your potential customers, even one, prefer the “tire repair kit” to a spare?

GcinFl and kerbear54 like this.
  8. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Found a couple more items necessary(maybe?) for a perfect OEM conversion.

For the LE, you need a different deck trim panel that goes along the bottom lip of the hatch opening. This panel has the mounting points for those black clips that hold the white floor boxes in place. Because the LE comes with a lower floor than the XLE/LTD, those mounting points on the LE trim panel are too low for the black clips to reach with the taller boxes for the spare tire. Honestly, a set of zip ties will probably do the job and be a ton cheaper, but I'm trying to put together a complete list of parts.

Second, the spare tire option technically has a different deck board. I suspect it has extra reinforcement in it to span the wheel opening or something. It looks like the overall size and shape is identical to the deck board in the XLE/LTD, so I plan to just stay with the one I have(mostly because the list price for it is $314.42 if you can even get one). Worst comes to worst, I'll either find something to go in the wheel to help brace the deck board, or I'll glue some reinforcement to underside of the board.

I'm sure I mentioned it before, but the deck board in the LE is different to both the XLE/LTD and the spare tire option because the LE version has the extra panel that allows for the angled transition from the lower cargo floor to the back seats when they're folded down. I suspect that board will also work well enough with the spare tire in place, but there's no way to know without a test fitting. That would actually be possible already if someone can get their hands on both an LE and either an XLE or LTD. You'd take the deck board out of the LE and try it in the other car. If it works there, it will work for the spare tire conversion.

Finally, the all-weather cargo floor liner for the LE is different than the XLE/LTD and might not work after the conversion. The carpet cargo mat might also be different, but I'm not positive right now. Just like the deck board test fitting, this could be checked right now if someone had LE liners/mats and access to an XLE or LTD to test them in.

I'm going to repost the entire parts list again with the new additions just so it's all in one place(and because I can't edit the original post anymore).

daisy555 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It was a similar story with 4th gen; there were varying degrees of "completeness". I'll try to restrain myself, but I REALLY wish Toyota would wake up on this.

You're saying it's possible to have a spare under the hatch floor with AWD? That's a plus. With 4th gen they plunked some largish AWD component smack in the middle of the space that would be occupied by the spare.

SmallTown likes this.
  10. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Two(three?) big problems with what that guys says.

1. It makes a mess of the cargo area. Without a bolt to secure the wheel down, you've now got a big and heavy projectile sitting in the back of your car in case of a major accident. And the edges of the deck board are completely unsupported and will bend/break if any load is placed on them. The whole thing is janky as heck.

2. Just because the bolt pattern is the same doesn't mean the spare tire will fit well. The spare tire out of a Prius v(135/70/17) is 1.8-2.3 inches shorter than the tires on a 2023 Prius. While the difference probably won't be a problem for a short trip to a tire store(a couple miles), I wouldn't want an inch or more of height differential if I was in the middle of nowhere and had to drive 20-50 miles to get to a town with a tire shop.

3. All tires(including spares) have a life expectancy of 5-10 years before dry rot sets in. It takes longer for spares because they're not as exposed to the elements, but they still do have a lifespan. There have been deaths and lawsuits relating to old spare tires(10+ years old) in newly purchased used vehicles blowing out and causing crashes shortly after they were used. The Prius v was sold in the US from 2011 to 2017, so even the newest Prius v spare tires out there are 5 years old, and some could be up to 12 years old.

So if you really want to use a spare wheel out of a Prius v, at least replace the tire with a new 135/90/17 or 145/80/17. Both of those will fit on the Prius v wheel, but will be very close to the diameter of gen5 tire and give you 10 years of reliability. Should be between $100 and $150 depending on which one you pick and where you get it.

edit: (never mind - I was confused because I briefly thought the gen5 had lug bolts. CarCareNut just dropped that review with a Prime with lug bolts, and I forgot the pre-production models had bolts while the production models have the standard nuts.)

#10 Hammersmith, Jul 17, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2023
  11. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Yes. It requires an extra small bracket and a trio of nuts, but the AWD is set up to accept a spare. The only gen5 Prius that can't take a spare is the Prime.

SmallTown, daisy555 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  12. Downrange

Downrange Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    All in all, seems a good mod for the prime, and may pick up an inch more storage by lowering the floor a bit. So. is this guy right? Prius V spare wheel works?

#12 Downrange, Jul 17, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2023
  13. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Can't do it in a Prime. The rear floor pan in a Prime is raised up a few inches to accommodate the larger battery. And the charger is mounted on that pan and covered and protected by the white boxes. Removing them and setting a spare tire on top of the charger(and solar roof controller if equipped) would be a bad idea.

14. Downrange

Downrange Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    Now, I'm really confused. Did you watch the video I linked above? I tho't he was talking about the 23 Prime? Is he wrong??

15. Downrange

Downrange Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    Never mind. It's not a prime. My bad.

Cc103acs and RoadPoppy like this.
  16. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Here's the parts list for a full OEM conversion to the best of my current knowledge. None of the parts are available yet except the wheel and tire itself. (I tried ordering them from a dealership yesterday, and they cancelled the order today after letting me know the reason.)

Notes:
    1. This list is only for the regular HEV Prius. The conversion will not work for the PHEV Prius Prime, though the spare tire and wheel will still fit fine. If you own a Prime and need the security of having a spare, you can still get the wheel+tire(and a set of tools) and just strap it down in the back.
    2. Prices given are MSRP(except for the tire). You can find 30-35% discounts from that number if you search. I use Lewis Toyota in Topeka, KS because they're the closest to me that gives 31% off on almost everything plus free shipping. I recommend doing your own searching to find the best deal that's closest to you.
    3. A * means the part is technically needed for a full OEM conversion, but might be able to be omitted with minor modifications to the existing part. Impossible to know for certain until someone actually tries it.

Code:
    Wheel and Tire
    $102.13   42611-21280      Wheel, Disc                      spare wheel
    $105.00   T145/90D16       Tire(price approx.)              spare tire

Parts needed for all trims:
    $121.05   64997-47100      Box, Deck Floor, LH              left white foam insert
    $197.07   64995-47080      Box, Deck Floor, RH              right white foam insert
    $ 17.18   51931-10040      Carrier, Spare Wheel, RH         bolt that holds down wheel
    $197.07   64778-47090      Protector, Spare Wheel           foam pad the wheel sits on
    $314.42   58410-47040-C1*  Board Assy, Deck, Spare Tire     replacement deck board w/ reinforcement

Parts needed for AWD models:
    $ 45.86   51978-47010      Protector, Spare Wheel           steel bracket the bolt fastens to
    $  1.29   90179-06274      Nut(3)                           nuts to hold down the bracket

Parts needed for LE trims:
    $150.07   64716-47170-C0*  Cover, Deck Trim, Rear           trim cover that contains the mounting points for the floor boxes

Optional LE parts:
    $120.00   PT908-47235-20   All Weather Cargo Liner, Black   XLE/LTD/Prime all-weather liner because the LE one will no longer fit
    $???.??   PT919-?????-20   Carpet Cargo Mat, Black          XLE/LTD/Prime carpet mat because the LE one will no longer fit

Tools: (I think these are all functionally the same, so just get the cheapest)
    $153.97   09105-52030      Box Set, Jack                   LE (no bag)
    $342.10   09105-47030      Box Set, Jack                   XLE/LTD (w/large bag)
    $ 83.82   09105-47020      Box Set, Jack                   Prime (w/small bag)

Approx real conversion prices: (taxes not included)
    LE FWD - $600-$1000
    LE RWD - $635-$1035
    XLE FWD - $600-$815
    XLE AWD - $635-$850
    LTD FWD - $600-$815
    LTD AWD - $635-$850

maxhale4, Jerry G, PrishopAWD and 3 others like this.
  17. SmallTown

SmallTown New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Yes, our 2023 XLE AWD has a "largish AWD component smack in the middle of the space that would be occupied by the spare." Hammersmith's info here gives me hope that we can store a spare without damaging all that AWD-related stuff.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  18. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Yep. What you're seeing is the high voltage power cable that runs to the rear motor. I'm pretty certain(97%) that's the reason for the metal bracket required for the conversion for the AWD. We'll need to get one to confirm, but I think the bracket covers the cable junction to protect it.

The metal bracket that's needed is secured with three identical nuts. If you zoom in on the attached image from reddit, you'll see five studs coming up from the floor. The two on the right and the middle one on the left are all the same size. It makes sense that the bracket spans the area in between, which would cover the junction.

And look at that little section of curve stamped into the floor pan towards the top. That's the level at which the tire will rest. If you zoom in close, you'll notice that all of the orange components are actually below that level. One of the parts of the OEM install is a foam protector that will sit on the floor and fill in that lowest section to match the level of the curve. That will get the spare tire up high enough to clear all the orange components. And then the new white RH floor box will have a cutout on the bottom just like the original floor box for where the power cable goes through the floor.

ezgif-1-a401c6f0f6.jpg

19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    4th gen was much worse:

[​IMG]

GcinFl, kerbear54 and daisy555 like this.
  20. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you so much for taking the time to do this! Pricey but doable. I was hoping to add the cost of this to my new car invoice. Since parts are still not available, I guess I’ll have to wait. I suppose I could include the wheel. Parts department wants to be sure this works before ordering. I could order remaining parts at a discount elsewhere.

#20 daisy555, Jul 19, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2023