1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OEM spare tire install

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Hammersmith, May 31, 2023.

1. jmcquaid

jmcquaid New Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I have no idea that there is a lower floor, although that could be a factor. I bought the same styrafoam parts called out by a post here (or on the other forum) that included part numbers, a video and costs [but for a 2023 LE). And the styrofoam inserts do not fit. There is enough room for the spare to fit under the level of the floor, but no way to support the floor properly. I think a piece of plywood is going to be the solution.

2. jmcquaid

jmcquaid New Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I ordered the foam inserts and the bolt that holds the wheel and the protector, using your part numbers. They arrived in about one week. But upon putting them in place, I found that the foam inserts stand about 4 inches higher than the inserts they replaced. I have a new 2024 Prius LE. My next option is to get a hot knife to slice the inserts down to size. Or a piece of plywood... For whatever reason, the space under the floor in my car is not the same as your car, where your video showed them fitting nicely.

3. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    You really need to read the whole thread and not just the first post. The space under the floor is exactly the same in both cars. The LE comes with a lower cargo deck. That lower deck is created by using the shorter foam boxes.

There are four sets of different foam boxes that create two different heights of floors.
    1. Low deck - only the LE - shallow boxes
    2. High deck - XLE/Limited - tall boxes
    3. High deck - spare tire option - tall boxes
    4. High deck - Primes - shallow boxes but the sheet metal floor pan is higher because of the battery

If you'd read the thread, you'd see that you can have the low floor, the spare tire, but not both. And every other Prius except the LE has the taller floor. All of our boxes are about 4" higher. If you cut your foam boxes, you'll waste your money and the tire won't fit.

Did you actually read page 7 where another poster with an LE described their experience and showed pictures?

4. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    And what do you mean that there's no way to support the floor properly? If you install the white foam boxes, the black foam tire carrier, and the spare tire itself, then the deck board will lay across the whole thing.

Maybe you need to post a photo of where you're getting stuck, because I can't make sense of your problem.

5. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Are you sure this its the correct jack for the Gen 5 Prius?

244136_20231009_164845.jpg

As I recall, this jack was introduced for the early Gen 4 TNGA Prius models in 2016.

Toyota has since added a vertical downward "fin" to allow using the standard earlier model scissors jack provided with earlier non-TNGA vertical "knife edge" standing seam pinch welds.

This is then and now the standard Toyota scissors jack again.

standard Toyota jack.jpg
    The top saddle looks like this;

OEM scissors jack.jpg

I recently took this photo of a Gen 5 Prius TNGA Prius with a vertical fin to accommodate the standard Toyota jack.

Prius rear pinch weld.jpg

6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Looks like there's a need for another scissor jack knife edge pinch weld adapter.

SM-G781V ?

7. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Ok, now I'm not sure which is the correct jack. You make a good case, but everything I've found points to the jack I got as the correct one according to Toyota. I'll put the download at the bottom from the MicroCat electronic parts catalogue that Toyota uses that shows the style of jack. I'll also link to a YouTube video from Mexico that shows a picture of the spare tire install(it's standard on Mexican Priuses) that shows the jack it comes with from the factory.

It's at 3:28 if the link doesn't take you there automatically.

I just don't have a good answer for you. When it warms up here next week, maybe I'll try to use my jack to see if it works properly with the jack points.

Attached Files:

8. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    When the TNGA chassis was introduced in 2016 with the Gen 4 Prius, the jacking point was a smooth rounded section in the uni-body.

I took this photo at the local 2016 auto show of the early production Gen 4 Prius in January 2016.

It has as smooth rounded jack point for which the jack you have was designed.

IMG_5832.JPG

I believe the vertical "fin" might have been added to US and Canada sold models maybe because the smooth point was likely to slip off the jack. Also, it might be to reduce confusion with other non-TNGA models and to reduce inventory models needed to be carried.

#188 Georgina Rudkus, Apr 3, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2024
  9. RandyPete

RandyPete Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I have read this thread from time to time. May not have read the whole thing in one sitting.
    Is it possible to have a spare tire and wheel under the deck in a 2024 PP XSE model.
    I note from above:
    "4. High deck - Primes - shallow boxes but the sheet metal floor pan is higher because of the battery"
    Not sure what that means for spare tire unnder the deck ?

10. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    No chance of a spare tire under the deck floor in a Prime.

If you look back at the pictures of those of us installing the conversion, you will see the metal floorpan of the HEV. You can see there is nothing there except maybe the HV cable to the rear electric motor on the AWD models. You will also see a bracket welded to the floorpan that has a bolt hole near the center to secure the spare wheel.

Now if you pull up the deck boxes in your Prime PHEV, you will find it looks completely different. The metal is a couple inches higher, there is no bracket with a bolt hole in the middle, and there's either one or two electrical modules bolted to the metal floorpan. All Primes have the HV charger bolted to the left side of the floorpan. Primes with the solar roof option have a second electronics module bolted to the right side of the floorpan. If you tried to stick a tire down there, it would rest awkwardly on those modules and probably end up damaging them.

Prime owners that want a spare tire will need to store it on top of the deckboard or in the rear seats.

11. Zeromus

Zeromus Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    Personally, I've accepted that I traded a spare tire for the ability to save a lot of money on gas doing majority of my driving on EV mode.

If we have to do a really long road trip with rural driving expected I'll probably end up storing a small donut in a rear footwell since its just car seats in there, or alternatively, we will end up with a roof rack for more luggage carrying as necessary, in which case, above the deck and strapped down is fine.

Though, to be honest, with the 17 inch SE wheels, I'm not super concerned about flats. The 19 inch wheels would be far more susceptible to something that would make using a plug or the goop repair kit impossible to use.

This being said - sidebar question - that repair kit the car comes with would obviously result in the tire having to be replaced - but the wheels I assume can be stripped of that glue and still reused right?

12. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Correct. It's a PITA for the tire installer, but it doesn't compromise the wheel in any way.

I also agree with your decision regarding fuel efficiency vs. having a spare. If I lived in a milder climate, had a more regular commute of 10-20 miles daily, and did almost all my driving in a large metro, I'd make the same decision you've made.

13. Zyrian

Zyrian Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    I have a Prime and "built" a spare tire kit (eBay Corolla jack and tire iron, dealer OEM spare tire wheel, DiscountTire tire install). Obviously doesn't fit under the cargo floor, but I got a $5 tire bag for it and it lives on the garage wall 95% of the time, but for any out of town trips it goes in as part of luggage. I have a plug kit in the car, too, but feel safer with the spare if I'm several hours away from home / on weekends / at night. I only had to use a spare half a dozen times in my life, but realization of how much pain it would be not to have one made it an easy decision.

14. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Okay, I happened to have my winter tires swapped off today and asked them to let me back in the shop while it was up on the lift so I could take some good photos.

I think the flatter jack point is the one Toyota intends for use on this car. There is a fold over point on the pinch weld where you're supposed to jack(it's also shown in the manual).

The photo is of a rear jack point about midpoint along the rear door. I wasn't able to get a great shot of a front lift point because the shop lift arm obscured them. 20240403_144317.jpg

SM-S901U ?

Georgina Rudkus and Mendel Leisk like this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's an improvement over previous gen's. (y)

16. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I also had a look at mine. There's also a little triangle molded into the plastic sill pointing at that jacking point to help you locate it without needing to look all the way under.

RandyPete likes this.
  17. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Just I I thought. That red downward fin was added after the early smooth TMGA jacking point introduced in 2016.

The jack that you need needs to have a top like this.

This is the current jack for both the original standing seam "knife edge" pinch welds and the latter upgraded TNGA jacking points like yours.

OEM scissors jack.jpg

18. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I'm sorry, but I'm just going to need some official sources before I can take your word for it. Everything I find keeps pointing to the one I already have.

The jack specified for the gen5 is 09111-47051. That's the one in my photo and it doesn't have that notch for the pinch weld. I looked up all the TNGA-C cars that are sold in the US, and all use this jack or one just like it according to Toyota.

List of TNGA-C cars (US model years)
    Corolla Sedan(2019-present)
    Corolla Hatch(2020-present)
    Corolla Cross (2022-present)
    C-HR (2018-2022)
    Prius gen4 (2016-2022)
    Prius gen5 (2023-present)
    Lexus UX (2019-present)

09111-47051 (including 09111-47050)
    Corolla: 2019-2023
    C-HR: 2019-2022
    Prius: 2017-2024
    Lexus UX: 2019-2024
    09111-47051 - Floor Jack - 2017-2023 Toyota | Sparks Parts
    2024 Lexus UX 250H Premium Floor Jack. WRENCH, MAURITIUS - 0911147051 - Genuine Lexus Part
    09111-47050 Genuine Toyota Jack Sub-Assembly, PANTO

09111-02130 (same interface)
    Corolla: 2020-2022
    09111-02130 - Floor Jack - 2020-2022 Toyota Corolla | Sparks Parts

09111-0A030 (same interface)
    Corolla Cross: 2022-2023
    09111-0A030 - Floor Jack - 2022-2023 Toyota Corolla Cross | Sparks Parts

09111-16060 (same interface)
    Corolla Cross: 2022-2023
    09111-16060 Genuine Toyota JACK SUB-ASSY, PANTO

19. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The red vane in your photo fits into the slot in the jack. The car is supported by the reinforced flat spot behind the vane. If you place the vane on top of the flat top jack or the vertical vane of the pinch weld it will bend it down.

Your quotes might refer to jacks for foreign offerings.

My dad, and my friends make custom pinch weld jacking adapters for many different model cars using scissors jacks, floor jacks, Rennstands, Quickjacks, aluminum jack stands and steel jack stands.

We have been doing this for more than 12 years.

These photos of the jacking points on 2024 Corollas have the same downward locating vane on their jacking points, while their Camry jacking points have vertical pinch welds.

The use of the vane allows the same slotted top jack to be universally used across the entire Toyota-Lexus line.
    Corolla 23 front.jpg
    Camry front pinch weld.jpg

#199 Georgina Rudkus, Apr 3, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2024
    RandyPete likes this.
  20. RandyPete

RandyPete Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Is this little triangle visable at all 4 jack points (Prius Prime xse 2024 models) ?