1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OEM spare tire install

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Hammersmith, May 31, 2023.

1. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    If you want to put two stands either on the front or rear end, the chassis is stiff enough that raising one wheel on one side high enough will also raise the other wheel on the same side. This allows placement of the jack stand at the jacking point on the same side.

Raising the wheel on the same axle on the other side will allow you to place the second jack stand.

Jabog6 likes this.
  2. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    The way I do it is with a floor jack and the central lift points. The one in the front is tough to get to because it's so far back, but the one in the back is fairly easy. Use wheel ramps to get the front high enough in the air to get access to the front central jack point. Throw some wheel chocks behind the rear wheels, then jack the front point up. Pull the ramps out of the way and place jack(safety) stands with rubber pinch weld adapters under the 4-post lift points. Pull the jack around to the back and raise the car from the rear central point. Push in the other two jack stands and lower the car onto them. When it's time to bring the car back down, repeat all the steps in reverse.

I think all the different lift points are in the owner's manual. (pgs. 502-3, 528)

If you choose to use a scissor jack, place the jack where the pinch well is thicker and rolled over. The jack stands with the rubber pinch weld adapters will go a little back of the scissor lift points. The front scissor jack lift point is a little behind the front wheel. The jack stand should be placed about 1/3 of the way from the start of the front door. The rear scissor jack lift point is about the mid point of the rear door. The jack stand should go about where the rear door stops before the rear wheel.

Best thing you can do is just get underneath and look for all this stuff sometime long before you actually need to do it. You can even ask your dealership if they will let you go back and get a good look at everything while it's up on a lift during your next inspection/oil change. Some places don't let you due to insurance reasons, but most do if you're polite and explain why you want to get the look.

And always remember to give the car a good shake after it's up on the stands. If you feel any instability, reposition the jack stands before you get underneath or start removing tires.

Jabog6 likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I raise either the front or rear of car using front/rear jacking points, put on safety stands “near” the scissor jack placement locations, lower car till it’s on the stands. I could put the stands at the scissor jack locations, but find them way too skittish, use alternative locations. Ended up doing an oil change this afternoon, some pics attached.

Attached Files:

Jabog6 likes this.
  4. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    In this new thread, the OP refers to his 2017 Prime. The photos that he posted show the jacking points of an early TNGA Prius that uses the flat top jack.

scissor-jack points for prime | PriusChat

I have reposted his photos here.

249218_IMG_1503.jpg 249219_IMG_1502.jpg

5. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    That 1st photo is exactly what the gen5 uses. His arrow is pointing right to the rolled over piece that's also on the gen5.

Here it is right in the middle of the frame of the photo I posted earlier:

[​IMG]

6. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    That additional red downward fil meant that your jackpoint is modified to fit the top of the slotted standard Toyota-Lexus jack, not the smooth top one.

OEM scissors jack.jpg

GcinFl likes this.
  7. RandyPete

RandyPete Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    image 3762, interesting cat anti theft method.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I've seen two different jack designs, but I haven't seen the allegedly different TNGA car design yet. All I've seen clearly are the curved fins like that red one, which is the same as my G5 (apart from colour...)

The two you're saying are different I can't make out well enough to say they're different or not. One pic from the other thread looks the same to me, and the other pic seems to have missed the point altogether. Can you manage a clearer pic to show the alleged difference?

#228 KMO, Apr 6, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2024
  9. Zeromus

Zeromus Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    Is it possible the reinforced point is just... Longer? With a fun to accomodate the slotted lift and a flat part to accommodate the flat scissor jack/shop lifts? Maybe that's what Hammersmith means by folded over?

10. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I've seen the vertical fin (as on G2) and the folded fin (as on G5).

What I haven't seen is the non-fin "smooth rounded section" "early TNGA" jack point that @Georgina Rudkus thinks the flat-top scissor jack is intended for.

11. Blackat

Blackat Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Lol. The chain will be on the ground after the cat is gone

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It’ll take some doing, secured with multiple bolts/nuts and the outermost 2 or 3 having red loctite. And it’s virtually always in a secure garage.

13. Zeromus

Zeromus Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    I think the garage is really what does it :p

I think its time to swap for the summer all seasons here this week. Have a floor jack on the way and may or may not wait for the jack stands to go on sale and just do 1 tire at a time in the drive way. Checked the grade and the garage itself and first half of my drive way are between a 1 and 2.5 degree slope. It only approaches 3 - 4 degrees slope as you get closer to the street. And funny enough there is in fact a completely flat bit right in front of the garage. Turns out garage has a steady 2 degree grade, in front is flat, for about 5 feet then it slopes again. So jack stands are probably fine on some plywood on the asphalt. Given its such a minor grade.... right?

And this means my 4 right sized winter tires can be in a pinch spares should anything happen and it take a while to get a replacement bridgestone tire in the future.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I’m usually an eager beaver about getting the snows off. But a couple of factors delay it for me these days:

1. Our 195/65R15 Michelin X-Ice3 (on Plug-In Prius rims) deliver better mpg than the 215/45R17 Michelin Primacy MXM4 (on stock rims).

2. We’re doing about 4K kms a year. Starts to be immaterial what’s on the car, when you drive once or twice a week.

I’ve got our sons CX-5 snows I’ve washed but still meaning to wax, before I stow them away. After that’s out of the way, next nice day, I’ll get around to ours.

I just get the whole car up on jack stands, makes it easy. Level slab is a big asset. I always need to put 1/4” of shim under the back left corner jack stand, to ensure all four corners are solid; guess the slab has a bit of dip there, out of plane.

15. Zeromus

Zeromus Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    Well we had a snowstorm last week here so.... glad I didn't change mine.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  16. Justin Prius AWD

Justin Prius AWD New Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I haven’t been able to buy the parts yet. Last time I tried to do so they were on back order.

17. skyemiles

skyemiles New Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I have them on order, so I will let you know.

What kind of mileage are you getting on the Michelin Primacy? I was considering a similar size and getting rid of the 19”.

#237 skyemiles, Apr 8, 2024
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2024
  18. CeruleanBlue

CeruleanBlue Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Can this thread br pinned, please?

19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A 17” for Gen 5? Check with TireRack or similar, and stick with the specd size (or very close if that’s not possible).

for me anyway, going from the Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 (with Green-X badge) to Primacy MXM4 (with same badge), our mpg dropped abysmally at the outset, gradually recovered. Other’n that good tires though, for road feel, etcetera.

Ugh... | PriusChat

20. CeruleanBlue

CeruleanBlue Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    IMG_20240413_101510288.jpg
    I tend to agree with GR this is the more appropriate jack for that curved fin jack point. This was the jack style from my wife's Elantra I used remove my LTD flat the other day. It fit perfectly.

#240 CeruleanBlue, Apr 13, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2024