1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OEM spare tire install

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Hammersmith, May 31, 2023.

1. Blackat

Blackat Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I just had a side wall blow out on my new Prius, @ 2000miles. That goop is useless for any major tire blowout.
    I'm looking at cutting out the styrofoam to fit a spare. I already have an extra jack, just need a tire iron for the lugs.

My last resort is to just keep a spare behind the front seat.

I work out of the car so the back seats are always folded down

2. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Parts haven't been released yet.(Oct 2, 2023) At least the steel cover plate for the AWD install. (Just checked with my dealer's parts dept while waiting for an oil change.)

Z ain likes this.
  3. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    And. Here. We. Go.

A couple notes up front. Install was super easy as expected. There was one bundle of wires I chose to slightly relocate, but I probably didn't need to. Close ups are included.

Super important: DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THE DIFFERENT DECK BOARD!

I repeat: DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THE DIFFERENT DECK BOARD!

One more time so it sinks in: DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THE DIFFERENT DECK BOARD!

The only difference from the XLE/LTD/Prime deck board are the four pads that are glued on. It was getting a bit cold out, and the light was starting to fade, so I didn't measure them, but whenever somebody needs the info, I'll measure the size of the blocks and the placement. I have no doubt you'll be able to find the proper material at a serious hardware or upholstery store for maybe $10. You really don't want to know what it did to my shipping bill to get it here. If anyone has an LE and wants to do the spare tire conversion, I'll "sell" you my old one for shipping costs; I'll even add the blocks for you. (LE people probably don't really need the different board, but they are technically different than the XLE/LTD/Prime boards.)

I'll add the photos grouped together in the next few posts...

4. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    First photos are the disassembly. Nothing special, but I figured I'd document it.

On the last photo, you'll see a close up of the AWD power connector that needs protection. There are five threaded studs coming up from the floor. Two are bigger and three are smaller. The metal protector will use the three smaller studs.

From the last two pictures, you can also see that Toyota doesn't care that much about overspray. lol
    I find it humorous because TheCarCarNut just did an insane detailing of a 600k mile 2001 Lexus LS 430 that AMD is restoring to like-new condition. He stripped the interior out completely and it showed Toyota actually sprayed the entire body with the same pearl coat as the exterior. Even under the seats, carpet, and headliner. Things that make a flagship Lexus different than an economy Toyota. ;)

20231009_162535.jpg 20231009_162552.jpg 20231009_162744.jpg 20231009_162848.jpg 20231009_162901.jpg

#64 Hammersmith, Oct 9, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2023
    PrishopAWD and otatrant like this.
  5. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Now to start the install of new parts.

I'm sure there are going to be a few on here that are going to be frustrated that Toyota molded the tire protector with the black foam when they used white foam for the boxes. It's the same material, just a different color. Maybe Toyota realized white foam would show tire scuffs or something.

You'll also see a series of closeups about the wires I decided to move. There was something of a notch in the foam over the wires, but the foam just wasn't sitting firmly on the metal. There was a clip holding the wires in place, so I pried it out of the sheet metal of the floor and moved it to another hole about an inch or two over.

I've also got a close up showing how the foam keeps the spare tire well off the AWD power cable even without the metal protector.

20231009_163436.jpg 20231009_163424.jpg 20231009_163618.jpg 20231009_163624.jpg 20231009_163635.jpg 20231009_163652.jpg

edit: Oops. Looks like I also got a bit of thumb on that last one. lol

6. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Quick tangent. Here are pics of the jack set with the full case. As you'll see in the set of pics after this one, I didn't use it, but it wasn't any real extra money to get it from Japan versus the standard set. Something like $10 or $20 and I was curious. It's a reasonably nice bag if you didn't have spots already molded into the foam for all the tools.

20231009_164702.jpg 20231009_164803.jpg 20231009_164845.jpg

7. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Now for the final reassembly.

You'll see where the tools go and then the tire installed and screwed down. Then I've got a pic of the two deck boards side by side. Finally a set of pics with my other tools in the best new homes I could make for them. The biggest slot in the new foam isn't really wide enough to be good for anything.

I've got a Ryobi bag that I got as part of a battery set that's big enough for my impact wrench, inflator, and one battery. I found a spot in the foam for my 21mm impact socket. Next to the Ryobi bag is my Toyota emergency bag. On the side with the 12V battery, I stuck my Toyota first aid kit to the sidewall(it has velcro strips on the back). All of these tools and kits were able to fit into the old deck boxes with plenty of room to spare.

(Ignore the impact wrench next to the 12V batt; I found the Ryobi bag later and moved it to the other side. Just forgot to take a new pic.)

20231009_164939.jpg 20231009_165423.jpg 20231009_165738.jpg 20231009_165858.jpg 20231009_165952.jpg 20231009_170520.jpg 20231009_170129.jpg

8. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Would I do it again? Absolutely ... except for the deck board. Shipping from Japan was hurtful(Impex Japan), but still cheaper than buying from even the cheapest reputable Toyota parts dealership in the states(not that you can even order any of the parts right now from Toyota USA). lohikaarme is ordering some of the biggest parts(most expensive for shipping) from a different website, so maybe that will be an even cheaper option.

49 days from ordering to delivery. Roughly $165 in parts including the jack set but not including the deck board or spare tire/wheel(I already had the tire/wheel). Several hundred in shipping, but this was only a part of a much larger order. Without the deck board and with a better company, it might be possible to get that down to a hundred or so for shipping. You'll probably save a hundred or so versus buying from Toyota USA, but the big thing right now is that you can actually get this stuff from Toyota Japan today, whereas who knows when Toyota USA will release the parts. Could be tomorrow, could be six months.

Hope this info is helpful to some of you.

HacksawMark, Sedril and Teleplayer like this.
  9. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes it is - it's officially the spot for your official UNECE R27 warning triangle. (y) Not authorised for anything else though probably.

10. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Thanks. I'll be ordering one of those later today. Do you know what any of the other cutouts are for? I know a few of them that I won't be using because I don't need/want what goes in there, but there are still a couple that I don't know what goes in there.

Going around clockwise from lower left:

Left side
    1. unknown - looks like maybe 2cm wide and 4cm long; maybe for a wheel alignment stud when the car was still planned for wheel bolts
    2. lug wrench
    3. towing eyelet

Right side
    4. jack
    5. jack handle
    6. warning triangle - but there is also a specific cutout at the top that looks like it's for something special
    7/8. probably for a 21mm regular impact socket and a special socket key for wheel locks

Bottom
    9. notches for the cord through the window gasket that doesn't really apply to the HEV

The two rectangles at the upper right and left are for the deck board to slot into. I don't think the L shaped cutouts at the very top are for anything; maybe they're there for assembly line or storage reasons.

11. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I did that thing on the other thread you may recall, but it doesn't have anything beyond what you just listed. Interesting thought on the wheel alignment stud. Would make sense.

[​IMG]

otatrant likes this.
  12. Blackat

Blackat Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Great job and write up. Thanks

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Toyota should read this thread. They could exercise a little of their "continuous improvement" in the spare department.

daisy555 likes this.
  14. Nntw

Nntw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Curious thing....

when you go to impex japan's info page.... the staff is all Russian. And yet their website indicates they're physically based in Japan.

Thoughts? impex team.JPG

15. Nntw

Nntw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    The shipping charges also seem out of whack; it looks like they charge more to ship tools WITHOUT the bag, than with.

16. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Correct. It is a company owned by Russians who operate in Japan. I believe most of their business is shipping Japanese car parts to former Soviet countries, but that's just a guess. It's not who I would have done business with first(considering my feelings about what's happening in Ukraine), but I had to remind myself that a private business in Japan is not the same thing as Putin and his cronies, plus I didn't have any better options at the time as I've never done this before. Doing it all over, I'd probably try jp-carparts.com. (Though Impex does have a better web interface.)

17. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Impex or Toyota?

Toyota USA absolutely charges more for the jack kit without a bag versus with. Don't know why.
    cheapest to most expensive:
    1. jack kit with bag for lug wrench and jack handle
    2. jack kit with no bag
    3. jack kit with bag for everything

As for Impex, I really don't know. Just remember that the shipping calculator on their website doesn't autofill all the needed data, so it can give bad estimates. Also, it's possible the tool kit without its own bag would require a little more work to prep it for shipping. But that would only apply if they were shipped by themselves and not as part of a larger order.

Nntw likes this.
  18. Nntw

Nntw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your responses…wondered about impex packing a kit vs individual parts…still $30 us or so…and curious, is the jack rated for 1000 or 1100kg?

19. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Honestly, I never looked before sticking it in the foam. It's the one spec'd for the gen5, so I didn't bother. I'm heading out later tonight, so I'll try to check if I'm not running late. Or tomorrow afternoon when it's a bit warmer. ;) (currently 13C and falling; going to reach -1C tonight)

Nntw likes this.
  20. Gwyd

Gwyd Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Nice job - thanks for detailing it.

I'm considering doing this too - does anyone know if the spare tire from a Gen2 would fit on a Gen5?

I should just jack mine up and try, but it's been too hot here until this week to do something like that without good reason.