1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OEM spare tire install

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Hammersmith, May 31, 2023.

1. LesPaulTomFL

LesPaulTomFL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have one remaining question - T145/90D16 seems to be universally the size spare tire we see recommended in this group. Is that the right one for a 2024 LE with 17" wheels? I was surprised the LE comes with the Safety sense and 17" wheels although I bet the tires will not be Michelin, still waiting on the dealer to confirm that. But I want to buy the spare stuff if the price is better and it looks to be much better now thanks to those pointing out Lewis and those dealers. Thanks again on that.

2. LesPaulTomFL

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Lewis just told me that 64997-47100 is on National Backorder - No ETA - and the next part number was Not Available - that's a deal breaker for me. I was fine paying $900 for this $hit but not having it readily available is negligent on Toyota's part IMHO.

I kicked this back on my dealer as a requirement of sale - as this is just Silly - me chasing down 9 parts on a new car......those who got this are lucky and as the word gets out it seems Toyota is willing to make it even harder on us. Thanks for nothing Toyota!

Here is my petition - if you feel like it please sign it - as I am trying to send a message to Toyota without having to by a FORD to prove it.

(I can't post links yet I am a NOOB) :) but you can search change and then look for Spare Tire Options all one word.

Best I can do as they will not let me post links.

-Thanks for all the help - I may order from Japan I need to wait and see what my dealer is going to do.

I did not get the feeling Lewis was going to be able to guarantee delivery of all 9 parts. Even if I wait, which is sad.

That is my current problem, the uncertainty of not being able to get all these parts and missing one or two critical parts.

This whole situation $ucks for someone who is about to part with 30,000 for a new car.

It's total Bull$hit if you ask me and I am not standing for it. I need solutions not pushback and red tape.

Toyota better listen up while this is a good car it is not the only choice I have.

Yes it was nice but it was small inside and the headroom and back seats are awful in the LE, not even a cup holder fold down in the middle. super low budget back seat to the point if they push on the spare tire is is going to mean a different VIN calls my driveway home for the next 10 years. that simple.

If i have to go elsewhere I will........there is no more than 60 days left in the fight for me as once that car hits the lot and no spare tire is in my trunk I am off to FORD.

I will NOT buy a new car without a solution to the no spare tire and jack issue. If they can only get 9 parts.

But I have a signed and executed Dealer invoice to show later if I have to back out. Let's hope it does not come to that.

Please consider signing the petition as this is not limited to Toyota Prius - this affects a lot of folks and is not fair. It's big corporations throwing their weight around for higher profits instead of doing the right thing.

-Thanks again
    -Tom

3. I Throw 99

I Throw 99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I ordered from Lewis, and it took about a month. I got the package about 3 days ago, and just had my spare tire mounted at local tire shop about 5 minutes ago.

here’s another issue, my car came with Michelin tires, and I need a new tire, but no one has it in stock, and according to the shop, Michelin does not have an ETA right now.

4. villageidiot2

villageidiot2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Thank you for the helpful write up! Do you think it would be possible to modify the foam inserts to accommodate a full size tire (195/50/19)?

I think even with a donut, the likelihood of a tire shop having our stock tires available might be slim? Which would be problematic on long road trips.

5. LesPaulTomFL

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This just playing into the hand of needing a spare - thank goodness you have that as the main tire is back ordered! Yikes - glad you got the parts and glad you have a solution for the temp tire - might have 1000 miles on that before you get the real one.

And congrats on getting the Michelin tires - i have asked twice the dealer to see what tires are going to be on the LE - no reply.

6. LesPaulTomFL

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Please consider signing my petition to ask automakers to offer this as an option! upload_2024-3-6_9-22-31.png

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ Signed.

Still, the one bullet-proof way to get manufacturer's attention: only buy new cars that come with spare. If and when that catches on...

8. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Yes/no to your question. Anything is modifiable if you work at it hard enough, but you'd have to put in some extra effort and it wouldn't be a clean finished look.

I haven't tried it, but I don't see why a full sized wheel+tire wouldn't fit by circumference. The problem is the height. A full size tire is a little under 2" wider(taller when laying flat) than the official spare tire size(195mm vs 145mm).

So whether you buy the OEM spare tire foam inserts or just cut up the ones that came with your car, the spare is going to stick up 1.75" to 2.0" above the top of them. You could try and "fix" this by gluing foam to either the top or bottom of the white foam boxes so the top of the foam would come up to the top of the tire(there are pros and cons to both methods). I'd be a little worried than the new floor height might be taller than the bottom of the hatch opening. That could cause issues.

I also think the OEM wheel carrier(the bolt that secures the spare to the floor of the car) wouldn't be long enough for a full size tire; you'd have to come up with a solution for that(not hard to do, just something else to consider).

Finally, the new deck floor would be higher than the rear seats when folded down. The deck board might have a tendency to slip around while braking and acceleration with the rear seats down unless there was some modification to keep it locked in place.

None of these are totally insurmountable problems, but a full sized spare would require quite a bit more work than the 10min it takes to convert an XLE or Limited to an OEM donut spare.

I suppose if you were taking a very long road trip that was time-dependent and you were really concerned, you could do the standard OEM donut conversion and then just swap a full sized tire or tire/wheel combo for the donut for the long trip. It would be ugly, but you could just squash it down with your luggage without any other modifications. That's probably what I would do. Donut spare for 99% of the time, full size spare just for a trip where a multi-day delay waiting for a new tire would be a disaster. You'd still need to make a different bolt to secure the spare to the floor, but that should be it.

I'm going to be swapping my winter tires in a week or three, so maybe I'll pull out my donut and stick in a big tire back there and take a pic while I'm doing the swap.

Hope this gave you ideas. I suspect the 195/50R19 will never be a tire that normal size tire shops carry in stock, but I think that it will soon become no more than a one-day wait to get one from the nearest tire warehouse. For now, the biggest problem is getting the same brand. If your car comes with 19" Michelins, you can at least get those after a typically short wait(though they're currently backordered for almost a month), but those of us with 19" Toyos, Yokohamas or Bridgestones are totally out of luck if we want a completely matching tire.

villageidiot2 and Jerry G like this.
  9. I Throw 99

I Throw 99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Since I currently have a donut on the car, I decided to try to see if the full fits in the trunk.It WILL fit in the tire space for the donut, but sticks out of the top of the deck by quite a bit, soil you wanted to do this permanently, you would lose even more cargo space.

villageidiot2 likes this.
  10. I Throw 99

I Throw 99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I have a second car, so the Prius stays in the garage until the new tire comes in.

11. Jeff606

Jeff606 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Five

12. Jeff606

Jeff606 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hear, hear! O hear me great lord of Toyota, and answer our prayers for a reasonable solution to the problem of no spare and no ready supply of 19" replacement tires...

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    195/65R15 was the best size they ever dropped. :rolleyes:

14. Bhampatty

Bhampatty New Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I'm picking up my 2024 ltd tomorrow. When I check OEM websites, I get messages that the parts listed for a spare tire may not fit my car. Has anyone done this with a 2024 Ltd, particularly looking for info about the disc wheel and flange nuts.

15. wrtboy168

wrtboy168 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    any idea what is a window grommet? it's the component shaded in purple. the illustration is from post #96.

[​IMG]

16. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    It's this plastic spacer thing - provided as standard in Japan.

20230301_02_17.jpg

(And we've deduced that other mysterious small slots in the trays that aren't labelled there are for the guide pin and wheel bolt socket that would have been needed if they hadn't decided to revert to lug nuts just before Prius production started, after the bZ4X had problems with its wheel bolts - pre-production Prius prototypes did have wheel bolts).

wrtboy168 likes this.
  17. Zeromus

Zeromus Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    OK, but how do we get one of those window grommet things? I could see it being useful in the future when we ever need to use the AC outlet in the car.

I could open the garage door and not worry about rain getting in, but I'd prefer to park it outside and use that to avoid rain getting inside the car while running the cable outside...

wrtboy168 likes this.
  18. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    You order one through a Japanese importer. Toyota is only selling them in Japan, so that's the only place you can get one. It looks like it's around $26USD/$35CAD(Y38.30), but the shipping would probably be equal to that or more.

Part number is 67217-47020.

NullDev, Zeromus and wrtboy168 like this.
  19. Zeromus

Zeromus Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    Part number helps. Honestly 75$ isn't too bad.

Also youre a wizard Wth how do you do that lol

20. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I remembered that I looked it up a few months ago for KMO. I just had to do a quick search of PriusChat to find it again.

Most all part numbers are available through Toyota-tech.eu if you pay for access. They charge 4 euros for an hour of access, but the access to the parts catalogue lasts for about a day. I tend to copy anything I look for to a series of simple text files so I don't have to look it up again. It's beginning to be a problem. lol

I Throw 99 and Zeromus like this.