1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OEM TrueStart Battery vs ACDelco B24R replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by GKinslow, Jan 12, 2021.

1. GKinslow

GKinslow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    2007 Prius Touring w/Smartkey. Bad OEM battery just beyond 24-mo free replacement. Dealer has a new one (TrueStart by Interstate) but ACDelco has an allegedly exact replacement (ACDB24R) available from Amazon for $173 with the same 24-mo free replacement 84-mo prorated warranty. I know the new ACDelco will cost more initially, but this OEM Interstate battery should have lasted far longer than 2 years. Replacing it myself. Recommendations?

More than two years on, and I'm still learning how to use all of the features, like pulling up the display to check the 12V battery voltage and determine its status. Reads 14V when the hybrid battery is recharging it and 11.4V when turned off.

My daughter drives it and hands it to me when something breaks. YouTube is a gift.

#1 GKinslow, Jan 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  2. GKinslow

GKinslow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Never mind. Stupid question. I think it would be easier to deal with a prorated OEM battery and core return at the dealer than another battery through Amazon. I believe both are manufactured by Johnson Controls.

bisco and SFO like this.
  3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If an agm battery failed that soon, I would suspect excessive parasitic load which would continue with a new battery. Have the off state load properly measured with an inline ammeter. Should be around 20 ma or less. Often a car that is driven daily will still start with an excessive current drain but the battery life will suffer.

GKinslow likes this.
  4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would suggest getting a decent digital multimeter and testing voltage at the underhood fuseblock- jump start point. That will give you a better reading as the MFD isn't very accurate. With the car off for awhile you should have 12.6 to 12.8V for a fully charged AGM.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    That alone is NOT a good way to determine the "status" of the battery, mostly because it isn't really giving you the voltage of the battery itself.

What else makes you think it has failed ??

P.S. I never recommend getting batteries by "mail order" because of all the potential problems.

GKinslow likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good move on the oem, imo.

GKinslow likes this.
  7. GKinslow

GKinslow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Replaced the OEM. I was mistaken, it was nearly 3 years old. One cell tested bad at the dealership. Paid $128 out the door for the new replacement. The Prius is happy again. Going on 14 years old with 77K on the clock.

8. GKinslow

GKinslow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    After jumping it, then driving it for 20 minutes, I turned the power off, and when trying to turn it back on again, it was dead, even only moments later.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hang on, an oem for 128? installed?

SFO likes this.
  10. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How many hours per week is the vehicle being driven?

11. GKinslow

GKinslow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I should have made it more clear. I couldn't drive the Prius to the dealer because it was dead as a doornail. I could've jumped it but had no assurance that it wouldn't hiccup on the way. I removed the old battery myself and took it to the dealer for replacement. After verifying it was defective they replaced it and the prorated price was $128 including taxes. I installed it myself. Saved $$$ but it took the entire morning from start to finish with no screws left over or holes needing screws.:)

#11 GKinslow, Jan 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  12. GKinslow

GKinslow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Bought it in January 2018 with accurate 62K on the odometer. It has 77K now. So, appx 5,000 miles per year.

13. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The current usage of 100 miles, or 2 hours per week may not be enough to maintain the 12v with the SKS enabled.

GKinslow likes this.
  14. GKinslow

GKinslow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    That's a possibility.