1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OEMS Worry About Cheap Gas

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Oct 28, 2014.

1. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...I think we're talking about low gaso prices (not low gas price)....I aways try to say "gaso" not "gas" since gas is not gas...if what I just said is not perferectly clear, let me know

2. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The key impeduce is this one fossil fuel is the one that we as a country have been trying to reduce use of since 1973, and there is no reason to still be subsidizing its use. Prices spike because US flagged ships have to take the fuel from the gulf coast to east coast depot, where it is pipelined or trucked, finally needing to be trucked to individual homes.

This makes it cost many times more than natual gas, and it requires storage at the site, which often leaks. The oil also doesn't burn as clean. It is much easier to substitute natural gas for home heating, than for transportation, but we are spending billions to make it easier to substitute for transportation. Wood/solar/ geotheral/electric/propane are all substittues that seem better than oil. Certainly insulation helps, but we need to stop making excuses then subsidizing oil. without the subsidies these homes would long ago have stopped using oil.

Trollbait likes this.
  3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Doesn't stop some. Some of the smokers may simply be due to using heating oil, which has a much higher sulfur content, and thus more particles formed.
    Many may have already have done this, and there is/was government incentives to do so. Improving insulation can be done irrelevant of heating type. This is about switching away from a foreign fuel, which also competes with shipping demand. NG is just the best choice for the cost to the home owner when there is infrastructure.

austingreen likes this.
  4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: diesel - I am thinking we have ultra low sulfur now on on-road and off-road

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Eventually, but it depends on location when it happens. NY is already ULSD, but other states won't be requiring it until 2018.
    Sulfur content of heating oil to be reduced in northeastern states - Today in Energy - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

As of this year, all non-road, marine, and locomotive fuel should be ULSD.
    Locomotive, marine and non-road diesel fuel standards begin at later dates. - Clean Diesel Fuel Alliance

#65 Trollbait, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
    wjtracy likes this.