1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Off-site, data storage

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Dec 16, 2016.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: Scientists are frantically copying U.S. climate data, fearing it might vanish under Trump - The Washington Post

Alarmed that decades of crucial climate measurements could vanish . . . , scientists have begun a feverish attempt to copy reams of government data onto independent servers in hopes of safeguarding it from any political interference.

The efforts include a “guerrilla archiving” event in Toronto, where experts will copy irreplaceable public data, meetings at the University of Pennsylvania focused on how to download as much federal data as possible in the coming weeks, and a collaboration of scientists and database experts who are compiling an online site to harbor scientific information.

“Something that seemed a little paranoid to me before all of a sudden seems potentially realistic, or at least something you’d want to hedge against,” said Nick Santos, an environmental researcher at the University of California at Davis, who over the weekend began copying government climate data onto a nongovernment server, where it will remain available to the public. “Doing this can only be a good thing. Hopefully they leave everything in place. But if not, we’re planning for that.”

Works for me.

Bob Wilson

LasVegasaurusRex and iplug like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you'd think this data would be all over the world, is it proprietary?

Bluegrassman likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Most of the US gummint (a few notable three-letter agencies excepted for obvious reasons) has had a long, strong tradition of keeping information collected at public expense as publicly accessible as possible for public use as a public good. (That was my job during my IT stint at a federal court, and we regarded that role pretty solemnly.) Surely lots of individual researchers all have their own stuff and it could be recovered from them, but the US agencies have probably seemed like pretty reliable, well-run, long-term stable, easy go-to places for a lot of that information in one place. That being so, maybe there's been a lower sense of urgency about trying to wholesale replicate such volumes of stuff elsewhere.

All well and good, until you hand your government over to folks who aren't into all that.

-Chap

4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Often as individual copies used for specific investigations. But in the the case of satellite data, it can be very large and sparse and you need the calibration factors. For example, when I worked on the Landsat program, we had 14-track and 28-track recorders. Machines that looked like:
    [​IMG]

No these old boat anchors are not in use any longer but the amount of raw data captured per orbit was huge and NASA/NOAA have been doing it since the 1960s. A climate study needs the huge, long term data even if cloud cover makes it of marginal use ... unless looking at cloud cover changes.

Bob Wilson

5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    There are data files, metadata, gray and white literature, computational models, and 'web apps'. It seems not simply paranoia to desire backups.

I harangue 'the kids' often about file-storage hygiene. This should not be different.

Data.gov is 'doing something' now so that new files are not being added:

Migration Notification - Data.gov

But remember, no paranoia, just stay calm and carry on backing up.

bwilson4web likes this.
  6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Just to consider one area (hydrology) it's a pretty nifty thing to have all your rainfall, snowfall, and riverflow data online. From monitor establishment through real-time provisional data.

US science (scientists) are quite pampered in this regard. Europe lags behind, while Latin America, Africa and much of Asia lag way behind. In one large Asian country, some of those data are regarded as state secrets :eek:

Any reduction in vitality of data, or ardor with which they are collected and curated, would make US a more typical country. Instead of its current leadership status. If someone is happy with that outcome, OK no action would be required.

Or if leadership status is 'a thing' for you, well, actions speak more loudly than internet postings :rolleyes:

bwilson4web and iplug like this.
  7. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    So, people feel motivated to externally archive data. That's nice, and potentially overdue. I emphasize that it's not just temperature records that matter for earth system science. It's lots of things.

In terms of preserving physical material, ice cores come first to mind. I know of some places (not all) where there are stored. They must have very large freezer bills! It would be a very bad idea to 'save money' and let those things melt. Not that anyone is suggesting that I hope.

Some cores may be stored in situ in Antarctica etc. do not know. No freezer expense there, but not convenient for research and analyses.

The thing is, some new analytical technique may arrive in the next decade (or whenever) and it would be a shame to not still ice the ice in proper storage.

+++
    Unknown to me how much primary data (like old stuff) has not been scanned or digitized. This is a different category. Maybe something like Bob's LANDSAT tapes.

+++
    Anyway, not a fan of words in the WP title "frantically" & "vanish". Would oh too few people read these things without clickbait?

8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Australia has already shown how bad it can be. Of course mother nature didn't bat an eye.

Bob Wilson

9. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Wha happen Australia? Did they unsave some data? Canada did in about 2005 following a political pendulum swing.

I have little or no concern about electronically stored data, because "frantic". But paper and other artifacts might be subtle. I seem to recall NASA itself dumpstering a lot of early space-program artifacts.

Bad.

10. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: Budget Cuts Lead to Lab Closures in Australia | Science | AAAS

According to an internal planning document obtained by ScienceInsider, the cash-strapped national research body, the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO), will shutter eight research facilities in the wake of an austerity budget announced by the federal government for 2014 to 2015.

The labs slated to close include a horticultural facility in Merbein specializing in wine, table grapes, and citrus fruit; the Aspendale Laboratories near Melbourne, a stronghold of marine and atmospheric research; and the Griffith Laboratory in New South Wales, which specializes in water and irrigation. Industry was not consulted on the closures, which could “rob us of a great resource” and undermine Australian competitiveness, says Anne Mansell of Sunraysia Citrus Growers in Mildura. The planning document, called the CSIRO Directions Statement 2014, also spells out cuts to agency-funded research on geothermal energy and liquid fuel and marine biology.

Old news, there has and continues to be follow-up. One of which is the lab making the CO{2} record in the Southern hemisphere: Australia Cuts 110 Climate Scientist Jobs - Scientific American

With an ax rather than a scalpel, Australia’s federal science agency last week chopped off its climate research arm in a decision that has stunned scientists and left employees dispirited.

As many as 110 out of 140 positions at the atmosphere and oceans division at the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) will be cut, Larry Marshall, the agency’s chief executive, told staff Friday. Another 120 positions will be cut from the land and water program. Across the agency, 350 climate staff will be moved into new roles unrelated to their specialty.

Bob Wilson

11. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Thanks for ruining my day

12. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I thought it was old news. <sigh>

Bob Wilson

13. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Thinning the herd of Australian Earth Scientists is old news. Topic here is more about interrupted access to data and analyses. However the Australian situation does highlight what more might be at stake in US. Thus that fretting over data files is a type of deflection that 'we' bring upon ourselves.

This was the basis for my complaint @11

14. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I never thought it was a complaint. We share too much understanding of the 'real world.'

Bob Wilson

15. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius