1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OFFER: document brake pause problem

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Apr 2, 2010.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

If you think your brakes still have the "brake pause" problem after getting SSC-A0B, I have an accelerometer to loan you to document the problem:
    [​IMG]

The process is fairly simple:

• Send PM with contact information - this way I can mail the accelerometer. But it is very important that you are able to replicate the problem at will. If it is a rare event, this tool will be a royal pain to deal with and we won't get the necessary data.
    • Once it arrives - on your next trip to where you can replicate the problem, follow the instructions and put it in your car as shown in the photo.
    • Remove it from the car and e-mail me the data - I load the data into a spreadsheet and 'integrate' the acceleration to get the velocity profile.
    • I'll e-mail back the spreadsheet with the velocity profile - use this as part of your complaint to Toyota/NHTSA e.t.c.
    This is how the data looks when there is no problem:
    [​IMG]

Here is the data before SSC-A0B with the problem:
    [​IMG]
    You'll notice the velocity after the first speed bump stays constant. Blowing up the first speed bump and 'brake pause:'
    [​IMG]
    You'll notice the acceleration, the blue line, goes to zero during the brake pause. So looking at the velocity profile in this small interval:
    [​IMG]
    You can see during the 'brake pause', the velocity stayed the same after the speed bump before normal braking returned. The pause was about 800 milliseconds.

If you honestly think the brakes are still not working, send me a PM and I'll loan you the accelerometer to test the brakes.

Understand that since I had SSC-A0B, I no longer have this pause. It is gone. Documentation is a two-way street, it can also show there is no braking issue.

Bob Wilson

2 people like this.
  2. jpadc

jpadc Type before I think too often

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Excellent data.... You have a Gen II - Have you tried getting the same data in it? I would love to see a comparison between the Gen II and Gen III (pre-fix). We all talk about it, but I have often wondered if the pause duration in the Gen III was actually longer than the Gen II or is there was some other reason that people seem to complain about it more in the Gen III.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    We have the NHW11, 03 Prius, and ZVW30, 2010 Prius. I've tried to find a local NHW20 for regression testing but no luck.

Bob Wilson