1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Official 2022 Ioniq 5 Reviews Thread

Discussion in 'Hyundai/Kia/Genesis Hybrids and EVs' started by Tideland Prius, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The day before yesterday I test drove a 2022. Even though I'm not financially ready for a new car, I almost bought it on the spot!! I need to get my taxes done and see where I am with the tax ramifications from my solar panels. If I can use up the tax credits from that and not have to carry much over to this year, I think I just might go for it. I was impressed enough that my Prime seems kind of ancient and clunky now. LOL! I'm still looking for a pdf brochure like Toyota has that specifically lists all the features of the various trims.

Tideland Prius and John321 like this.
  3. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I own the sister car to the Ioniq the Kia Niro. I do not think you would be disappointed with the Ioniq 5 if you bought it.

I do realize the Ioniq 5 is the brand new all electric vehicle. It is a very exciting vehicle.

You will be hard pressed to match the value for your dollar you get with a Hyundai or KIA vehicle in another brand these days.

I believe you will get Android Auto, Apple Car Play, Hyundai Bluelink all standard as ways to interact with your vehicle and these vehicles in the mid range models come with every safety feature available in automobiles. They have some neat features where your smart phone can become your car key and Hyundai Bluelink lets you interact remotely with your car from a smart phone.

Our KIA vehicle has been trouble free for almost 3 years with no recalls

We were impressed enough with our KIA NIRO that in 2020 when we decided to buy a new vehicle we bought a new Hyundai Santa Fe SEL. It has been a great trouble free vehicle with no recalls either.

jerrymildred likes this.
  4. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Attached Files:

Tideland Prius and farmecologist like this.
  5. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    JerryMildred, you do understand you can continually roll over your solar tax credits, right? I've been doing that with ours for 12 years now and have purchased three new EV's in that time, using the $7500 EV tax credit in those given years.

jerrymildred likes this.
  6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    We're one of the 1st in line for delivery of an awd fully optioned model 5. One of the harder things to determine was that you had to go fully option in order to get the heat pump included/added. We cancelled the ID4 back when we found out you can't get a heat pump in the US on the id4 (in Montana - cold can be rough on capacity) . And I read a lot of complaints on its poor quality with VW anyway ~ so it's no loss.
    If hyundai goes ballistic and adds a markup over MSRP ~ we will dump the 5 as well, like we did the prime RAV4, when they tried to stick an extra $5,000 on it. Just takes patience.

jerrymildred likes this.
  7. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Right, it looks like you need to buy the AWD in order to get the heat pump. I wonder what the reasoning is behind this. Hopefully they "correct" this soon.

jerrymildred likes this.
  8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Heat pumps for cars aren't as plentiful as air conditioners, which leads to an increase in the cost difference. Assuming there is enough heat pumps available to meet demand. The manufacturer needs to increase the cars price for it, or reduce their profits.

9. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    jerrymildred likes this.
  10. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    God I hate "packages".

There's absolutely no way to get the car I want. If I pay extra for something I want, I lose something else I want.

I want the HUD (Limited), the heat pump (AWD), the 19" wheels (RWD only), the cloth seats (SE only), no sunroof (SE and SEL only), V2L (Limited only), ... you get the idea.

Packages are just because companies are lazy. If I'm going to spend this much money on something, I want what I want, not what they're IQ=0 marketing department wants to give me.

jerrymildred likes this.
  11. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hmmm. When I got the system, they said you have two years to use up the credit. If you can push it back, then that really opens some options.

Ditto!!!

The main thing slowing me now is the economy. My retirement account has dropped in the past few weeks by roughly the price of a new Ioniq 5 base. I have not yet started to withdraw from that account and really don't want to start now with the prices in the "buy" range and not the "sell" range. But I think I'll need to start dipping into it if I get a new car now that I don't have a paycheck coming in.

On the other hand, the cars are on the lot and they are not marking them up. Sheesh! That's tempting!!!!

Anyway, I didn't mean to hijack a thread that's supposed to be about reviews with my personal quandary But I do like that car. Besides my test drive, every review says it's fantastic except for the lack of a rear wiper and having to get AWD to have a heat pump. I think I can live without those, especially since, if I get the SEL, I'll have a heated steering wheel along with the seats. I rarely use heat in my Prime.

Edit to add: I think I want the SEL. I was OK with the SE because it's really nicely equipped. But for just over 2 grand more, you get the projection headlights and the power lift gate along with the leatherette seats which I don't really care about along with wireless phone charging that I probably won't use either. Not sure how much I'll use HDA II vs HDA I but I imagine I'll like that. But I do want the long range version since a bigger battery goes through fewer charge cycles, everything else being equal.

#71 jerrymildred, Jan 22, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
    John321 likes this.
  12. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When we were shopping and looking at reviews, most reviewers agreed with your assessment that the SEL was the sweet spot in the Hyundai Brand for the absolute best value for the dollar.

Also I am glad you posted in the thread about your impressions and evaluations they add to the thread and are helpful in assessing this new vehicle for others.

From your other posts I know you recently added solar capability to your home and it is very interesting that you are now considering an electric car to take advantage of this. The cost of energy particularly electricity and gasoline are two commodities that can wreak havoc on most of our budgets and we have no control over the cost of either of them. It is exciting to hear about someone who actually now has control over these cost and can begin to pick and choose when and how they use these commodities if they choose to use them at all.

#72 John321, Jan 22, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
    jerrymildred and hill like this.
  13. eow

eow Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    While checking out a new charging station that just opened in our neighbourhood, a Ioniq5 was just disconnecting. The couple took delivery 4 days ago. Nice looking vehicle and those wheels / tires are huge looking.

One thing that I noticed is the significant interior window frost build up. Hopefully they just need to learn how to use the climate controls. BTW, it was -20C at the time and our Prime was frost free.

iPhone ?

jerrymildred likes this.
  14. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This Canadian (Brantford, ON) dealer does live reviews and has a bunch on the Ionic 5. I just looked at one where he said he didn't mind one bit that it doesn't have a rear wiper.
    Kia Hyundai Channel - YouTube

And back to my test drive, I did let them make me an offer. They were MSRP on the car (and SE long range) but I think they lowballed me big time on the trade in value on the Prime. They offered $14,500. KBB says it's worth $23k.
    Screen Shot 2022-01-22 at 11.43.48 AM.png

15. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited

Sell it yourself. I have for my last 5 cars. A $3 ad on craigslist priced right stressing things like accident free, maintenance history etc. Has never taken more than 24 hours. I've had people come from 400+ miles away for what I'd consider a very ordinary car (Prius v). I accept cashiers check or cash or bank check. Once I swear it was drug money in $50 bills but he said he was a gold dealer. I do facilitate getting temp tags or title transfers via the local DMV by accompanying them but a small price to pay for not being exposed to the games dealers sometimes play.

jerrymildred likes this.
  16. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thinking about it. In FL, you only pay sales tax on the difference between the price of the new car and the trade-in value. So, if I sell it, I need to sell it for enough to make up the difference in sales tax, but that should be easy in this market.

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  19. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This couple does a head to head between the Ioniq 5 and the EV6.

#79 jerrymildred, Mar 19, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2022