1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Official: New VW Polo Bluemotion offers 85.5mpg, less co2 and cheaper than new Prius!

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by culltec, Sep 5, 2009.

1. octavia

octavia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    To be fair, you did post out of the gate with a statement implying that this other car is a BETTER choice than a prius. That just invites a heated discussion and of course die hard prii fans will dispute your claim. ;)

Personally, I'm delighted that the industry is moving full steam ahead towards greener and greener cars. There are all kinds of auto buyers, so having all kinds of better choices is the perfect way to go! I'm a bit frustrated that it has taken us this long to finally get the momentum going this way ( Who killed the electric car) but am delighted none-the-less that we finally are!

Welcome to both of you! I look forward to non US-Centric posts and views as I'm sure many others here do too.

:welcome:

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    "Cheaper" is a tricky word. It will cost you less but if you get an inferior car, what is the saving? It doesn't necessary mean you will save money unless a car like the Polo is what you are looking for and Prius comes with extra features that you will never pay for. So then why compare it to the Prius? They are in two different classes.

Making compromises to gain fuel economy is a trade-off and the list does not stop there. As someone mentioned, a bicycle as a great alternative.

To prevent future "stepping over Prius owner's toes", I would be very careful about making statements about costing less (and getting less) and general statement about "greenest" car. CO2 is not the only gas that comes out of the exhaust.

I do agree with you that Polo Bluemotions seem to be a car that is "up to the chore" and doesn't cost a lot. The downside is that you don't get the hybrid premium features such as electric transmission that delivers jet smooth and quiet acceleration.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Put it this way, if you can't afford a Prius, the Polo Bluemotion is an excellent alternative. For me, I don't want to drive a subcompact (since you said it's not a supermini. I disagree and say it is a supermini because the iQ and smart are micro cars). However, I do not want to drive a midsize (D-Class) vehicle either so the Prius is the best of both worlds. I drive a small car but get big car interior comfort.

4. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is based on the 3.3 liter/100km EU test cycle, which means 85.6 mpg imperial and 71.3 mpg US.

Ken@Japan

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    culltec is in Europe (UK specifically) so I guess it applies to him. There the Gen II achieved 65.5mpg. The new one achieves 70mpg something. I forget the exact number.