1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OFFICIAL New Year Eve Yak Thread

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Jack 06, Dec 31, 2005.

1. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Does the poor guy work 60-hr. weeks? Four 12-hr. days? Get OT? Getting WalMartized?

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    60+ hours/week, depending on what makes it into his bay. 5- 12 hour days of work, usually. sometimes he goes in for a 6th day if he's got a customer who urgently needs their car back.

no OT, he's paid flat rate. usually makes decent hours, but the diagnostic time doesn't pay as well in most cases and they always send him the "Wth is wrong with this one" jobs.

however, he's got great insurance and pays no premiums... not walmartized there.

there is a very big downside to being a mechanic if you have any kind of family you wish to ever see...

3. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Why don't you train to be a Service Mgr.? HIS SM. You could see him during the day (30 seconds at a time + lunch). You could do your drugs on the side. Wait, that's not right. I mean, you could fool around on the side. No, no, that isn't right, either. You could do lab work on the side. :p

4. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    unfortunately they already have one of the top service managers around running that place perfectly... doubt they'd take someone like me who's good with a pipetter but can't stand getting oil on myself... :(

oh well. the good hours come with time.

5. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

I guess the rest of you are still up so you can see the, um, the, um, so you can see a few people in downtown LA, no, ah, there's no downtown 'xactly, anyway, see them watching the ball, um, no, no ball, either

well, that's why we have watches, huh?

6. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    and don't forget the one extra second they're adding in this year...

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The artificial designation of a "new year" is about as interesting to me as seeing the spot where somebody famous did something that I'm supposed to care about. The earth goes round and round the sun, and some Roman (I suppose) decided that today (give or take for precession) is the "beginning" of the year. Yawn! At least if they had put new year's day on one of the solstices or equinoxes there would be some reason for the choice.

New year's day for me is just a day with no mail delivery. And of course I have to get used to writing 2006 on checks. On the very rare occasions when I actually write checks any more.

The first religion I ever invented had a 7-day year, so every 7th day was new year's day. I don't remember which. Probably Monday. This was a very long time ago. There was a commandment to work one day a year and rest for six. I think Sunday was the day when adherents were required to work, after resting the first six days of the year to prepare for the ordeal of earning their daily bread on the last. I've always been full of ideas.

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    have to agree with you daniel... always thought the first day of Spring was the day to celebrate. i see nothing to celebrate today.

9. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Here's something to celebrate. Well, I will, at least. May be heading up next weekend to test it out so to speak:

[Broken External Image]:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/rancid13/mammothdump1.jpg

Now I really MUST get my board waxed and tuned and make sure all my gear is in order. January's here and the never ending roadtrip weekends to Mammoth and June Mountain are in order until closing day. :D

10. Schmika

Schmika New Member

My department has a pretty good weight room and helpful guys (kind of like personal trainers). I just don't have the motivation. I have struggled with weight since high School. My best shape was when my dept. had mandatory standards. The union busted that, so I lost my "stick".