Official (OEM) Toyota Prius 2016 (Gen 4) oil-change instructions

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Gokhan, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yes it is. :(

The spin-on is less fuss, and maybe more dependable?

Too, it was just a very tempting mod. (y)

2. Norm from GA

Norm from GA New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Probably, in theory; Practically, tossing an oil-soaked filter into the paper bin gets recyclers' panties in a knot. Its like cheese-soaked pizza boxes, it "contaminates" the scrap. Toss a can full of oil-soaked paper into the metals bin, and nary an eyebrow is raised. Those organics won't last where they are going. ;)

3. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    True. But assuming all the shop waste is considered hazardous and treated accordingly, is it possible to retrofit a paper-filter style filter in place of a spin-on? Does anyone make such cartridges with replaceable filter elements?

4. Gokhan

Gokhan Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Spin-on oil filters are completely recyclable and normally recycled; so, I don't understand the fuss about them here. I have always had mine recycled when I did my own oil changes by taking them to Autozone or Pep Boys along with my used oil.

https://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/usedoil/filters/

Having a spin-on oil filter has a lot of advantages. For example you can upgrade to a premium synthetic oil filter with high efficiency and high capacity from the standard OEM oil filter. Replacing it is a lot easier, with something going wrong much less likely. Obviously Toyota had a lot of problems with cartridge oil filters, likely warranty claims to replace damaged engines due to improperly installed oil-filter cartridges, and that's why they have gone back to spin-on oil filters.

krmcg likes this.
  5. Michael Wood

Michael Wood Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    At first I thought that 0w16 was probably manufacturers attempting to squeeze a little more mileage out of their engines. But after a little more research it's starting to sound like 0w16 may be better designed for cold weather, quick-start applications, and may contain detergents and additives that would enable low emission engines to run cleaner for longer. And then there was that gen 3 cold weather knock issue that seemed completely unrelated....but a little pressure in the wrong place on the wrong day.... It's really difficult to get reliable data on anything oil related.