1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Official Toyota Dealer caught on a lie....

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by JohnRobinson, Apr 28, 2010.

1. JohnRobinson

JohnRobinson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Well here is the story. I am writing it here not to bitch but to ask what to do next.

I recently bought a 2007 Prius Exec model with leather interior. Lovely car with 41000km on the clock. I am English and live in Norway.

The car was imported from Germany and during the whole sales process I was pushing for a service history. Before contracts were signed I was told that the dealership where the car was sold in Germany confirmed the car was serviced at 15000km and 27000km. The car should be serviced every 15000km so I was happy that the 30000km was done early and that the next service was due on 45000km.

I asked for documentation for the services as the service book was empty without luck so I contacted the dealership in Germany where after several mails received this one back.

"Hi John,
    the car had 2 services, at 15.000 and 27.000 km, that´s right. Unfortunately there is no stamp in the service book.
    Since the service has not been done here, I cant do anything about this.
    But you can believe me, you bought a good car, in good condition.
    I hope I could help you and wish you all the best

Ben

Ben Möckelmann
    Verkauf

Auto-Partner Zenke GmbH
    Königstraße 28
    22767 Hamburg
    Tel.: 040-39 88 88 77
    Fax: 040-39 88 88 70
    Email: [email protected]"

I wrote back saying that Im sorry but I can not just take his word for it and that if he found the car has had 2 services then he can give me the information of which garage. After three attempts I still havent had a reply.

Additionally to contacting the dealership I contacted the head office in Germany because I was informed it was actually owned before by Toyota Germany. Again after some mails they sent back this:

"Dear Mr. Robinson,

Thank you for your e-mail.

We can not provide you directly with the information you need. Our internal
    system called "E-FA" said, that on November 2008 your Prius stayed at
    garage for the first yearly maintenance ( at 19.000km ). A receivable
    second one isn´t part of our file.

If necessary, do not hesitate to contact us again.

With best regards from Cologne
    Your Toyota Team
    "

So as you can see the car hasnt had 2 services at 15000km and 27000km, but infact only one at 19000km. As the car is now at 41000km it means firstly it has driven over 22000km without any service but also 11000km over its 30000km scheduled one.

So the dealership basically lied and gave a fraudulent service history for my car.

My question is, what should I do next? I feel I have been cheated here but take away that I have a car that I thought had a great service history to one that is quite bad. Im thinking about the impact on selling it in the future as well. :(

Please any thoughts and comments are welcomed.

Thanks alot.

John

p.s. You would of thought that Toyota Germany could keep the services up on there own cars wouldnt you? :rolleyes:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would be more concerned about oil changes. there really isn't much to service before 60,000 miles. no worries!;)

3. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i guess you could just enjoy the car... many people including myself don't take the car in for service. some wait way longer than they should and have yet to have problems. there seems to not be much you can do.... besides contacting the national toyota headquarters... (i'm surprised you haven't already...)

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since this service history bothers you, do you have the option to rescind the transaction? If you cannot reverse the deal, then I suggest that you make the best of it.

Change the engine oil and oil filter now. Also check the engine and cabin air filters and replace them if dirty. That's really all that your car needs right now.

At your option you can have the other inspections performed that would be called for at 30K km. Good luck.

5. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's hard for some of us to comment because we're not sure what kind of consumer protection laws exist in your situation that may allow you to take action. If you have the fact that the car was serviced at those intervals in some sort of contract, that may be somehow enforceable...but IANAL.

6. JohnRobinson

JohnRobinson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Well guys thanks for the replys. You have confirmed what I was hoping that its not so much of a big deal about the early services. Im not so concerned as of now.

The car will get its 30000km service with a much needed oil change.

Thanks again! :)

Thought you were insulting me.... Didnt know what that meant until google helped me out. He he! :D

7. Ichiro

Ichiro Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    i'm quite shocked a car dealer was being completely honest with a customer. unbelievable!!

1 person likes this.
  8. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It may (or may not) give you some peace of mind to get an oil analysis done of the oil the car has in it when you get it changed. Since that's the only item that was really missed, if the oil is still OK then there's been no harm.

9. sktn77a

sktn77a Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    E-mail the dealer (in Germany) back and tell him that Toyota said they have no record of the second service and to please provide you with some documentation that the 27000km service was indeed done. If he can assure you that the service was done, he should be able to provide documentation. As this impacts the powertrain warranty, insist that the dealer do this. In the meanwhile, get the oil and filter changed regardless.

If the dealer can not do this for you, send copies of the e-mails to Toyota and you can rightfully accuse him of lying to you. This is illegal (fraudulent) in most countries.