1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Offshore drilling. Oil spills.

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Manolo1, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Manolo1

Manolo1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am having a discussion in another forum on the risks of offshore drilling in the Florida Gulf Coast. Most of the other party's arguments are based on the fact that natural oil seepage is 20 times more than man made spills and therefore the risks of drilling are minimal.

Globally speaking I have no argument against that statistic, but oil seepage is distributed all over the world and an accidental oil spill in the Florida Gulf Coast could bankrupt the Tourism industry in all that area.

The recent Timor Sea spill is 100 miles long... all the coast from Tampa to Naples...

Can anyone help me gather recent facts/stats on the risks of offshore drilling near heavily used and beautiful pristine beaches?

2. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They are still finding oil all over Prince William Sound 20+ years after the Exxon Valdez spill. Sea otter populations are ~50% of what would be considered normal. Every tide change washes oil into the sea water, and back on to the beach/rocks.

Fla is a more benign place than Alaska, but why are we chasing a few barrels of oil when we should be weaning ourselves both due to peak oil, and CO2?

1 person likes this.
  3. radioprius1

radioprius1 Climate Conspirisist

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Why don't you post the link and let us visit the forum and help?

4. Manolo1

Manolo1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  5. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
  6. Manolo1

Manolo1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes but...
    Oil seeps are natural and some say they are responsible for 80% of oil in marine environments, some say only 10%... which number is best?
    Additionally, oil seeps are distributed globally and I am sure there are no oil seeps next to Waikiki, Tahiti and many other renowned beaches... otherwise they will not be famous and nobody would go there.
    I am trying to make the point that regardless of the size of oil seeps, drilling close to a nice beach (which does not currently suffer the inconveniences of natural oil seeps) is too darn risky...