1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Offshore drilling provides outstanding artificial reefs

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Dave_PH, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Dave_PH

Dave_PH New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    They support an abundance of life. Nature and technology can live in harmony.

TPWD: Rigs to Reefs

[​IMG]

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  3. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    They can, but they quite often don't. The dead zone in the gulf and the garbage patches in the Indian and Pacific Oceans are but a few examples...

4. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Actually, in my home town, Savannah, they dumped the span of an old cantilever bridge off the coast and it make a quite nice reef. But, in that case, it was antiquated technology.

5. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    BS: Offshore drilling provides outstanding artificial reefs

I'm not saying that artificial reefs don't work, I'm saying I disagree with the premise of this thread. Offshore drilling does not provide outstanding artificial reefs.

6. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Re: BS: Offshore drilling provides outstanding artificial reefs

Why, when the evidence is to the contrary (as I posted on another thread recently)?

And an alternative to drilling is shipping oil around the world in tankers. That uses significant amounts of fuel, is not good for the air, not good for sea life if the ship has an accident, and is terrible relative to invasive species.

How are those negatives better than drilling, with the documented evidence that sea life thrives around oil rigs?

7. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

An alternative would be to actually invest in renewable fuels. But we aren't going to do that in America given the current administration's vested interest in fosil fuels.

... Brad

8. robbyr2

robbyr2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    And an apparently fair chance of the next one too. Oh, yeah, the senator from Arizona believes in research into alternative energy, because as everyone knows, none of them are ready for the "big time." Everyone knows oil and natural gas are cheaper and always will be. Drilling and nuclear (in 10 years) are the only real answers.

Right. And the wind doesn't blow all the time in west Texas.

Too bad Pickens doesn't swift boat the guy who is definitely not going to support his plan (not that I'm all that excited about the NG part- but I trust the automakers to go EV or hybrid).

9. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

I agree re: alternatives. But also think we need to pursue domestic supplies. And on that point, it is simply wrong to conclude that oil platforms are not beneficial to sea life and not a better alternative to shipping oil around the world in tankers.

10. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    anything you sink makes outstanding artificial reefs like sunken world war ii U-boats!

what about the 133 or so fuel tanks from the space shuttle missions located somewhere in the indian or pacific atlantic oceans, they probably are benefiting marine life too

11. thepolarcrew

thepolarcrew Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

They don't get it. It's like visiting a Grandparent at the nursing home who has Alzheimer's, they don't get what's really going on around them, only remember a few of the good ole days, and aren't going to get it back.

I can see the logic in the transportation issue, increased risk of spillage, emission from diesel fuel burnt for propulsion, garbage dumped over the side, bilge transfer of unwanted biota and many others.

12. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Off shore drilling will do more to extend the life of the fossil fuel industry than it will to improve the ecology of the oceans. Find all the positive fringe issues you like, any off shore drilling will only be to please the oil barons and the rednecks it will have nothing to do with enhancing the environment.

13. thepolarcrew

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hey your from down under, what do you know about rednecks?

Besides, half our country uses diesel for home heating, not to mention trucking and rail.

How do you propose we wean our selves off the stuff? You can't fun a big rig off solar.

It would be nice if we could just throw a switch and every thing would change.

Mean time back at the ranch, (isn't that where red necks hang out) we need it until we can come up with solutions and change the infrastructure

14. Dipena

Dipena Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    What part of "finite resource" don't you understand?

15. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Perhaps they should find another solution. Offshore drilling won't do a damn thing to help them for years at any rate. It's not a short term solution.
    Shit can the big rigs. they're a grossly inefficient way of shipping goods across the country. Rail is vastly more efficient.
    Offshore drilling isn't a flipping of a switch either, so what's your point?

16. thepolarcrew

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What part of economic ruin don't you understand.

People living from pay check to paycheck are going to be the big losers in all of this.

While people like you keep calling for $10 gas.

We're starting to see a real disconnect between what the Dems say they stand for and what they actually do. Like come back from vacation and try to ram through an economic stimulus like the they gave Bush hell about in order to try and buy the election from people that don't trust your smooth talking Big 0. Oh I almost forgot the off shore drilling proposal being offered up, the one that the Big 0 said he disagreed with before he agreed with!

17. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's already too late for paycheck-to-paycheck folks. They're getting screwed now by the fallout from Republican policies, years before any new drilling can help them.

As for artificial reefs: we're going to need something to replace the real ones after they've been killed off by sea-level rise and increasing ocean pH (both of these caused by increased CO2 from fossil fuels).

18. thepolarcrew

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So the solution is the same as 30 years ago. Do nothing, tie every thing up so we end up a 3rd world country and the Arabs, Russians and the Chinese laugh all the way to the bank.

It goes back to analysis through paralysis.

A lot of wishful thinking and little or no action. the old, not in my back yard syndrome.

19. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Tripp for answering in my absence. Drilling for more hard to get oil is the equivalent of doing nothing, the only incentive to do something will be the rising cost of energy, this will accelerate development of alternative energy and conservation strategies.

Those conservation strategies include moving freight by rail not road, more efficient vehicles, alternative sources of heat, ie geothermal heat pump, use more local product, insulation in homes, double glazing, accepting inside temperatures closer to outdoor temps and dressing for the season. I don't mean wear a coat indoors but why not a jumper?
    then there is energy efficient lighting, smaller homes and smaller cars, more use of public transport.

And the list goes on.

20. thepolarcrew

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Agree with most said but will still be up against not in my back yard.