1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OG Prius ?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Delta Flyer II, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Delta Flyer II

Delta Flyer II Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hello fellow Prii owners...

My mom is a commuter, and her current car is drinking way too much gas, we were thinking about getting her a 2002 / 2003 Prius, something she can just use for a commuter or switch off and on, doesn't need to be anything spectacular....

Has anyone heard or know of any problems or such? We've seen them anywhere from $3k - $5k some in really good condition...

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions, look out for's would be greatly appreciated....

PS Sorry if this is posted in the wrong area.

2. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You may find it easier to locate a good second generation (2004-2009) Prius.

iPad ? HD

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    stay away from gen I (prior to '04) unless you are a crackerjack mechanic.

4. wheelsup

wheelsup Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just recently bought a '99 Volvo V70 for $250 locally. The negative battery cable was disconnected and it kept cutting out on the previous owner. I didn't need the car and flipped it but it gets 30 MPG highway. Honestly unless you are driving a lot around the city the Prius doesn't make sense from a cost standpoint IMO. The extra $5000-$8000 or so you'd spend for a decent one buys a lot of gas.

If she is doing a lot of highway driving look for a small commuter car like the Pontiac Vibe (same as Toyota Matrix without the name markup) or something similar without the potential $3k charge for a new battery pack (a very real possibility on an older higher mileage Prius).

5. Delta Flyer II

Delta Flyer II Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thank you all for your feedback....

She drives 150 miles per day... has a V6 and its not the best on fuel....

We will see how things will work out in the upcoming month. A buddy of mine and I changed out spark plugs (sadly the rears you have to take off the exhaust manifold, damn British cars) MAS cleaned, and a bunch of other stuff cleaned... Seems to be running much better and we will see if the fuel economy goes up.

But thank you all for your comments and suggestions