1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oh, hey there everyone.

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by alex s, May 21, 2012.

1. alex s

alex s Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all! My name is Alex (obviously).

Long time lurker here, finally decided to sign up a while back and be social!

I've had my 2008 Prius since I bought it new in '08. I've since paid it off, and I can't ever see myself getting rid of it. I just love it too much. I've even treated her to some new tires, mud flaps, and window deflectors recently.

Not breaking any new ground here, just wanted to say hello!:wave:

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello Alex, welcome to Prius Chat. You give a new meaning to long time lurker - 4 years :)

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Hi There, I hope you find it as comfortable with a name as you did lurking!

4. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Always good to see a fellow Prius owner who is as happy with his car choice as we are. :welcome:

And to be really nice to your Prius, hopefully you also had the transaxle fluid drained and refilled, and soon it will be time to change the small 12V starter battery as well.

:rockon:

5. alex s

alex s Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Indeed, I do treat her well, regular oil changes/cleanings/clay bar/etc. I'm usually pretty anal about fluid changes (owning an S2000 will do that to you.) So I will have to look into the transaxle drain/refill as it didn't even really occur to me to check it. She only has 31,000 miles though, but I'm sure it's time.

I recently did the voltage check for the 12v through the display and all seems well for now, but it's definitely something I keep in the back of my mind.

Thanks for all the warm welcomes everyone!

6. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like your Prius will be very happy and healthy under your ownership. Good job!

Even though Toyota says the Prius transaxle fluid is "good for the lifetime of the car," what we Priuschatters have found is that the transaxle fluid does accumulate metal filings as well as dissolved metals in the course of the normal wearing-in of the transaxle.

So to ensure the transaxle's longevity, we recommend draining and refilling the transaxle fluid at 30,000 miles to get rid of all the stuff from the normal breaking-in of the transaxle, then 60,000 mile intervals afterwards.

Hope your Prius will serve you for many more years to come! :thumb: