1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oh no- my turn for an accident

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by rogerv, Aug 14, 2013.

1. chesleyn

chesleyn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So lucky you survived a pit manuever and the car took all of the damage and not your body! Wonder how well a Volt would have handled that :LOL:

rogerv likes this.
  2. plchung

plchung Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    sorry to hear the accident, rogerv. I am glad you are ok.

rogerv likes this.
  3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, were you lucky.
    The way you describe the events as they happened it could of been a lot worse.

Good Luck with the repairs.

rogerv likes this.
  4. Vern2

Vern2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    rogerv,

Sorry about accident, unavoidable. Because of my health, I would always be blamed.

Not a very presents thing to happen. Liked the camera idea and this camera.

This may help.

Vern

rogerv likes this.
  5. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for the good thoughts everybody. I was indeed lucky. Also thanks for the ideas on the dash cams. I like the idea of front and rear coverage. So many idiots and aggressive drivers out there cutting in and out and tailgating, it would be great to be able to provide that to investigators, even on someone else's accident.
    So far, the body shop has repairs up to $8000. They will have the Toyota dealer remove and check the battery pack, etc. and store all that until repairs are done, then reinstall the system. This is because they have to weld in a new rear quarter. So far they haven't found any structural damage, but the true test will be when they go to hang new doors and see if they line up properly. They will also get a tire shop involved to check for flat spots, since I was pushed sideways along the pavement. Only 19025 miles on the car when I left home yesterday, so my OEM tires have quite a bit of tread left if they are otherwise OK.

6. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Volt might have been a bit more stable, but probably just as much damage.
    As for me, I haven't had that kind of excitement since my training days in executive protection. We did live ramming exercises similar to a pit maneuver, except that the idea was to "drive through" the other vehicle and escape, rather than spin and pin like the cops do it. It was lots of fun, but I was 15-20 years younger and was wearing a protective helmet.:p
    To add to the experience, somebody would be firing a starter's pistol out the window of a car next to you, or sometimes a couple of guys with paint guns would be shooting at your car. Like I said, it was great fun.:cool:

7. rcsting

rcsting Toyota Fanatic

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Roger

My Pip was hit in a parking lot a few months back. It also needed a left rear quarter panel welded in. I sold it to Carmax a few days ago to pick up my new Rav4 EV and was shocked when Carmax said that its considered frame damage due to the unibody design.

Carmax said that it will be sold at wholesale and they would never sell a frame damaged car. I took somewhat of a hit on the price so beware when your insurance will only cover the repair and not loss of value. :(

8. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Because my own insurance is paying for the repairs, I won't get anything for diminished value. Had it been the truck driver's insurance paying, I could have gone after them for that. Damage estimate has come in at less than $9400, so well under the value of the car. So I'm stuck with the car long-term, and hope that I get a good repair job.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sorry man.:( i hope they make it like brand new!:)

10. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm glad you're OK!
    I wouldn't sweat the DV thing in your case. It's like the stock market. The value of your Pip is only of concern the day you buy it and the day you sell it.
    You're in a CARB state.
    You love your Pip.
    Most of the damage seems to be sheet metal, go you don't have to worry as much about your car being more arthritic in it's old age.

So....you have a very good reason to keep the Pip until the wheels fall off (or the next driver that hits you is caught on video.)
    So...
    It will probably all shake out in the long run.

People are a lot harder to fix than cars are, and by the time you go to sell your Pip, it will probably have saved you enough to zero out this problem.

Best of luck!

rogerv likes this.
  11. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    One rather interesting thing I learned is that the body shop uses a software program from a third party to establish a value for the car. Get this- they came up with a figure over $27,000! They also gave my car equipment that it doesn't have, such as "electronic parking assist" and "fog lights". Those items probably wouldn't make that much difference, but I am going to question my insurance adjuster and see if they would really pay that much for a total. :confused:
    Update: I checked online with Edmunds and KBB, and was amazed to find their prices are right in line with what the body shop guy gave me. I thought the value of the 2012s had dropped when Toyota started adding incentives that got the price down to around $27-28K for some buyers. So, moot point in my case, as my car will be repaired.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think cali prii have kept their value.

13. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm very happy to hear that you're fine. That's what really matters. Too bad about that dirtball truck driver.

rogerv likes this.
  14. Electric Charge

Electric Charge Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I actually have this exact camera (and also a BlackVue HD cam in my RAV4), and while this camera is a good deal, and looks great on paper, my rear cam failed already (of course, on the day I really needed it).

BlackVue makes higher quality cameras, but their latest model which supports WiFi and a rear cam, has such horrible bitrate, that it's useless. There are some other cams coming on the market now, which offer dual cam functionality as well, but I suggest you go to Dash Cam Talk and do your homework. Their forums are really good, lots of useful info. I'm currently shopping for a new dual cam system because of this failure.

rogerv likes this.
  15. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Update- parts are in; work in progress. Promised delivery date of 9/4, but in my experience, body shop repairs usually exceed the time estimate by a few days. In the meanwhile, really missing my PiP. Driving my Lexus, which I normally love, but without the HOV stickers and paying for premium gas at 25 mpg vs regular at 63 mpg, I really notice the difference. Example: $58.00 to drive 366 miles that would cost $22 in the PiP. :cry: OTOH, since I didn't buy rental coverage on my auto policy due to having other cars, I'm saving on the cost of a rental car for a few weeks.:whistle:

16. NoMoreNow

NoMoreNow Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've also have this Dual Dash Cam.....Is not the best or worst DashCam to have, when compared to other 4 models (w/GPS) I have. But is better than having nothing, and does the job for me.

Here is simple Front & Rear clips from my last week driving & passing those trucks in Oakland.
    Try PRESS Play together to see the real time sync.

ksstathead and Tracksyde like this.
  17. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for posting the results from your dash cam. I can see that it would have been handy to have at the time of my accident. As someone previously pointed out, a dash cam would have shown me in my lane and veering after being hit by the truck. A rearview camera would have shown the truck approaching, my lane change and then the offending truck coming up to pass, and maybe even the moment of impact. I'm definitely going to look into getting one of these. I'm hoping they have portable mounts to make it easier to switch from car to car.

18. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I hope you never need your dash cam.

19. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yeah, me too. But it sure would have been handy to have one in my car last week. It would have been enough to convince the CHP officer that the truck driver was responsible. The officer said all he needed was 51% to blame one side or the other. My son, who is a sergeant with our local county sheriff's office said a dash cam record would give him all he needed to declare fault.
    So we have each ordered one through Amazon, and they do indeed offer portability between cars or to remove for security reasons. Now I just have to get my car back in order to install it. ;)

20. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    From what I've seen on Youtube, it seems every other car in Russia has a dash cam.