1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oh no- my turn for an accident

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by rogerv, Aug 14, 2013.

1. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hard to believe nobody got hurt there. Looks really bad. Bet that total it. That truck wheel looks like it came out of Mad Max. Yikes!

I have a dashcam. Use it all the time. Its a Go Pro Hero Camera with a suction windshield mount. Records on SD card and battery power. Really easy to take it in & out. There the best. Hundreds of deals on ebay. The picture quality is superb and there tough as nails camera.

Go on Youtube and put in Go Pro.

2. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ed, thanks for the info. My son did the research and mentioned Go Pro, but we wound up with one from Blackvue that has WiFi along with an SD card. Sends the video right to a smart phone. Installed his last night, waiting for my car to be fixed. It wasn't totaled, as value is about $28K and repairs so far about $9400 as of a week ago. They could go a little higher as they get into the repairs. Wish I'd had a dash cam installed, would have convinced the CHP officer as to what happened and that it was the truck driver's fault all the way. :(

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm glad you're ok, buddy!

This is NOT the stuff I want to read when I come back to the forum, btw. :p

4. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks, Justin. Not exactly what I would prefer to post, either. :cry:

F8L likes this.
  5. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sorry to hear of your travails, rogerv. Best of luck.

Good job on the dash cam recommendations, guys.

rogerv likes this.
  6. SLOW_RR

SLOW_RR Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Those of you who are using a dash cam in the PiP, where do you recommend mounting the camera (I just got an O-SKY dual camera 720 HD). I would like to get at least the front part mounted tonight as I have to drive on the NYS Thruway Speedway tomorrow morning...

7. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't have my PiP back yet (looks like another couple of weeks), so I too will be looking for tips on installation. In the meanwhile, I have been using my camera in my Lexus. The Blackvue is cylindrical in shape, and as a temporary installation I used three rubber bands to attach it to the passenger visor close to the windshield. It works fine there, at least until my wife wants her visor down.;) I will eventually do a permanent hardwired installation, as I bought an extra cord and bracket. Unless I see something better here, I will probably just go with the behind-the-mirror installation. I want it to be wired so that it comes on automatically when the ignition is on.

8. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Your safe and not hurt. The car can be repaired.

9. SLOW_RR

SLOW_RR Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I finally decided to put mine up near the mirror as well, just to the left of it and used the permanent sticky holder... Wiring is temporarily duct taped to the door jamb on the drivers side. I think I will get a bunch of stick on wire pads to permanently hold the wiring. I found a spot where the camera had a clear view but the body of the camera is up in the pokadot are at the top of the windshield. I will wait until later to install the rear camera. The entire camera can be easily removed if I want to put it away or to use in another vehicle as needed. It also came with a suction cup holder (that won't stick in place on the polka dots...) I'll get some photos after I am finished.

BTW, I do hope they do a great job repairing your car! And that it serves you well for many years.

rogerv likes this.
  10. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Update: Got the car back this morning. Yippee!!:D Just finished wall-charging after driving just a short distance home in HV. Wound up with four new tires, although only two were damaged in the accident. I wanted a quieter tire, and I prefer to buy all four at once. I got a trade in allowance for one old tire, and the shop put the other one on the cosmetically damaged alloy wheel to use as a spare. The big test will come tomorrow when I have a roundtrip of about 180 miles to make. Racked up about 2000 miles on the Lexus while the PiP was laid up for a month, sucking up a lot of expensive gasoline in the process, so I am REALLY glad to have my car back! Prior to the accident, the Lexus had only accumulated 274 miles in the last year. We use the PiP for practically everything except cross country trips. 60+ mpg vs 25, not to mention 87 octane instead of premium.:p I appreciate all the support and positive comments from my friends here on PriusChat. Thank you!

chesleyn, Jeff N and Lourun like this.
  11. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Great to see you got it back! I'm sure everything will be fine with the repairs! I am sure it feels great to have it back. Enjoy! :)

rogerv likes this.
  12. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thank you. The repairs are guaranteed as long as I own the car.:)

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats rog, happy for you!:)

rogerv likes this.
  14. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle