1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oh No! Not ANOTHER Anti-Religious Thread!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by airportkid, Apr 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Not true because of one inescapable fact . . .

The worst mass killings in history occurred within the last century led by secularist and atheist. APK's supposition doesn't pass the smell test. It's plain that his toted "secular alternatives" aren't doing the job of eradicating ignorance. At least not among secularist and atheist. In fact it's seems worse thousands of years further down the line from the religious atrocities he's railing about.

BTW: Just because someone kills in the name of religion doesn't mean they kill because of religion.

1 person likes this.
  2. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    No more than it makes Einstein religious or theist.

3. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    He or she but one or the other, a sexual being nonetheless. So who are God's parents? Who is God's significant other? No Yin without the Yang. And what's God need sex for exactly? Pleasure or reproduction or both? Pure pleasure is going to get him or her tossed out of a LOT of churches. Are there a bunch of godlings running around? And if they are born, do the die?

Sexy God creates a lot questions.

4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It would be taught as what it is -- the reigning theory.

Scientific theory.
    Like the theory of gravity
    Or the (now) theory of quantum mechanics.

5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'm guessing you call them 'worse' because more people were killed. Since the populations were different sizes, that is a poor argument.

It is my opinion that these mass killers were 'secularists' or 'atheists' by virtue of a desire to not share power with their competing Churches. It really says nothing of their personal philosophies, other than megalomania.

Religion, on the other hand, enshrines ultimate power as a doctrine. Oh wait -- the religious killers are just the humble servants carrying out god's will. As I have said before, if religion is really good at anything, it is hypocrisy.

6. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    You don't understand. Killing in the name of religion isn't the same as killing because of religion. If you understood the why's and what fore's behind the inquisition you wouldn't make these unsupportable comments.

7. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    And since it's a poor argument for secularists, I'm suprized you are running with it.

Spanish Inqusition: 3,000 executions

Clergy killed in the Soviet Union: 50,000. This does not account for other religious percution - the total figure will be considerably higher.

Even factoring the population of Spain at that time vs the Soviet Union, your definitely in a losing arguement even without factoring in tens of millions of Soviets slaughtered - nothing like that in Spain.

8. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

Your attempt to portray the destruction of the entire Jewish society of Spain as only 3000 murders by torture ... errr ... executions is nauseating. How many were tortured but not brought to trial ? How many were disappeared ? How many were thrown out of home, livelihood, community, and country to die of neglect and starvation ? It is telling in more ways than you would ever admit, that you only count the well documented kangaroo court cases.

I am horrified by the Soviet era slaughter, as acts of man against humanity. When it comes to your Church's acts of genocide and depravity, you are a basketful of rationalizations, spin, dodging , and denial.

Well, at least you know why secularists find your positions contemptible.

9. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I have heard this BS tautological argument before.

Sorry, no dice.

10. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So when you run out of things to attack just make up something, like indifference to Spanish Jewry.

an estimated 150,000 were tried during the Spanish Inquisition....I bet Stalin processed that many in his kangaroo courts in months. Two wrongs don't make a right.

How is not saying the Spanish Inquisition as bad as Stalin's atrocities passively condoning it? I'm sure you could dig up my mention the Holocaust was a one of the greatest atrocities ever, if not the worst.

11. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Clarify 'tried.'

Administrative hearing, and a fine of a day's work perhaps ?

What was the Jewish population of Spain before, and at the end of the inquisition ? So sad how "3000 executions" to a Christian, is genocide to the slaughtered society.

Have the inquisitions been criticized by the Catholic Church ?
    Have the justifications for the inquisitions been considered, evaluated, routed out of Catholic theology ?

12. massparanoia

massparanoia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Its only BS because you don't agree with it. Funny how that works.

1 person likes this.
  13. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So you think I'm either indifferent to the Jews or even anti-Semitic, even after saying the Inquisition was wrong several times?

If you think your behavior is promoting your position, go ahead.

You're smart enough to go to wikipedia and search Inqusition, aren't you? That's my source.

14. massparanoia

massparanoia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Of course you are an anti-semite. You disagree with his rhetoric so that automatically makes you a(n) (insert ad hominem here).

15. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I see, atheist and secularist kill hundreds' of millions in the last centry and it's acts of men against humanity. But when done by men with the thinnest affiliation with religion, it's religion and God that get the blame. Not the men. Thanks for the excellent example of hypocrisy from the secular/atheist side. :thumb:

2 people like this.
  16. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You have not answered my questions.

Here is another:
    How wrong ?
    Genocide wrong, or "I should not have yelled at my cat for eating a lizard, since it is her nature" wrong ?

What is the Vatican's formal position on past inquisitions ? What is your opinion of the Vatican position ?

IIRC you call yourself an evangelical protestant, so you might wonder why I seek your opinion of the Vatican or the inquisition. For this discussion, you are good (or bad, as the case may be) enough. We can discuss burning heretics if you want something closer to your specific brand.

17. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Your willingly displaying ignorance of the subject that you're discussing? :rolleyes: Come on Sage quit using this subject as an opportunity to vent anger via personal attacks and engage the debate with a modicum of knowledge, an open mind and a mature attitude.

1 person likes this.
  18. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Absolutely.

The know-it-all attitude stemming from beliefs is your schtick.

19. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I answered one of your questions and you chose to ignore my answer.

Therefore, I will ignore your additional questions since you will ignore those answers anyway.

Why you would think subjecting anyone to hostile questions all day long is going to get the response you desire in incredible.

20. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Tony's post closing the other religion thread sufficed so I'll simply quote him:

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.