1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured OH No! Toyota Might Ditch the Prius c, v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon) and Plug-In Hybrid

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by DKTVAV, Feb 1, 2016.

1. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The choice of power. It's geared different to deliver more. That's an efficiency tradeoff.

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    is this what he means by 'bitched out' ?

[​IMG]
    ;)

mrlebop likes this.
  3. mrlebop

mrlebop Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Oh yes... That's it! I'll call it my little Prius CTS-v. Can we get 50 mpg please? :p:ROFLMAO:

#243 mrlebop, Mar 13, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  4. Bill the Engineer

Bill the Engineer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Anything is possible with a Sawz-all...

mrlebop likes this.
  5. mrlebop

mrlebop Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Lol, Bill, I've been following your project recently. Absolutely awesome! When you're done with the Fyrbrid, can you do the Prius CTS-v? Please please please? Hopefully they're the same wheelbase! :cool:

Bill the Engineer likes this.
  6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    No - Please don't.
    There were threads a couple years ago & more .... people butch'n the pri all to heck.
    Prius pick-up truck???? | PriusChat
    The goals? It doesn't mean the rear doors will even work.
    :eek:

7. Bill the Engineer

Bill the Engineer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Next project will be an all-electric BMW Z3 for my wife. Then, we'll see...

Not to worry. My project doesn't even have rear doors. ;)

8. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interestingly enough, I was looking at the Rav 4 Hybrid today. This is an AWD market, so maybe even at $30 K this will sell well. I was almost in tears over the auto lift rear hatch door, which sadly, the v doesn't have.

But even though I was a potential Rav customer, there are more direct comparisons. The most direct comparison is the Subaru Forester. Same relative shape, a bit higher due to the AWD, and just a smidge more cargo room.

I think what prevent us from having the market decide what sells and what doesn't is regulations regarding the classification, CAFE and other requirements. The perfect shape for many people is the Jetta wagon. A tad higher and you have a Forester, with light-duty towing and AWD. The Prius v has the size, both for people and cargo, and the room.

Interestingly enough, we just leased a 2013 Camry Hybrid XLE today as a replacement for our 2007. The sale of the 2007 practically pays for the lease, two-thirds of it anyway.

I like my Prius v, I don't love it. Perfect would be a car that drove like the CMax, and had the reliability of a Toyota. A 30 MPG Rav4 hybrid is not on our list, probably never would be.

9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I remember that the last Focus wagon, from 2004 maybe, had the same cargo space as the Rav4 of the time. Oh, and the Jetta wagon and other cars were once capable of light towing. Still are in other markets.

10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    In fact, the Prius, all generations, have been capable of light towing. The unique characteristics of the transaxle makes that practical.

Bob Wilson

11. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I was referring to the fact that the Jetta once had an actual 2000# tow rating in the US. Now it doesn't, but likely does still in Germany.

12. LasVegasaurusRex

LasVegasaurusRex Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Toyota/Scion has way too many models, it just confuses people and adds inefficiency to the factories. iA, Yaris, tC, Corolla, and Prius C all overlap more or less. Kind of silly to have Camry Hybrid and Prius v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon) too, since their MPG is the same, although i know they are very different cars.

I don't know what they should do, but I do know FCVs and more models is what they shouldn't do.

13. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The FCV's could prove to be a really bad decision, time awaits. As for the Prius v? The people and cargo space attracts a lot of window shoppers. Now when people window shop, they sit in a car, look quickly at the sticker price, and the epa mileage. In this climate, people will look at Subarus and the Honda CRV. The Prius gets weighed down by no AWD, and the others have AWD and acceptable mileage now. Not to mention, the Prius tends to be scary when you look at the sticker price. That's how the masses shop. There's always the coolness factor as well.

No doubt in my mind that Toyota could produce a wagon that gets stellar mileage, is more fun to drive, at a competitive price. With as many Jetta wagons as I see on the road, I know it's possible. We might also be victims of Toyota's size. Toyota's enormous, so a nice market for VW or Subarus, would be a drop in the bucket for Toyota. A decided advantage for their competition.

LasVegasaurusRex likes this.