1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured OH No! Toyota Might Ditch the Prius c, v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon) and Plug-In Hybrid

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by DKTVAV, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE

My wife drives / commutes in our 2014 v three, I drove it yesterday and just noticed our lifetime mpg over the last 6400 miles or so (almost a year of ownership) is right around 35mpg. not the greatest by any stretch... but yeah it beats my Hemi Ram CC 4x4 which pulls a solid 14 +/- avg (low of 11, high of 15.5)...

FYI, she drove a new Rav4 prior to the v, and got crappy mpg as well... its prob her 9 mile commute with half of it being stop n go that kills the gas mileage..

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no, it's our wives.:p

3. Blizzard_Persona

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE

You know what, you are absolutely correct!

Back when I owned the Barcelona red 2013 Liftback three, I averaged between 48-50 mpg driving it with due regard....

when she took over driving it full time mpg dropped like a mafia snitch getting dumped into the hudson weighed down by a cement block....LOL!!! I even showed her the videos and tried to teach her the ways... oh well...

mrlebop and bisco like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    same here, life long habits are tough to break. but like you said, what would it be in a gasser?

mrlebop likes this.
  5. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    I will admit I got pretty mediocre mileage for my Gen 2 Prius.

[​IMG]

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    whose wife are you?:p

mrlebop likes this.
  7. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    So we get an updated v sometime in the future but no totally redone one until they see how the RAV4 is received and how it cannibalizes v sales.

Sounds pretty sensible.

Station wagons haven't sold well in the US for years.

mrlebop and E. Dennis like this.
  8. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Its not going to happen this summer. that was the date over a year ago. It slipped and the author didn't notice. Q2 of 2016 or Q1 of 2017 are all toyota will say now. Betting on summer delivery is a fools game. Sure they may show it next month, but there will not be deliveries until much later this year or maybe next in the US.

I hope the gen 4 brings sales closer to 2012's levels and above the dismal 2015 levels in US and Japan. The aqua is selling well in Japan, but I just don't get why in america you would pick a prius c over prius liftback now versus a mazda 2 or 3 or honda fit or corrola. Its priced above its punching weight, which means it will only sell in the US if its heavily discounted as it has been. The prius v is long in the tooth even though its not old, the design is. For passenger room the fusion, camry, sonata, and now malibu hybrid seem better and as efficient. Its only for cargo room, and most of those probably have been sold already in the US. It needs a redesign, or better more of a camry wagon hybrid made in america. I have no idea how alpha and v sales are in the rest of the world

9. Silver bullit

Silver bullit Right Lane Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What if gas goes back to $4.00 a gallon?

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there'll be no c or v, so we'll either buy lift backs or ionix.

11. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The aqua is the most popular car in japan now. They will export them even if they only sell in small numbers. The v just really needs a redesign.

12. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's going to happen...and maybe sooner than we all think it is.

The G3 was out for 6 years, and I seem to recall several up and down cycles during that one generation. Besides.....despite what I said earlier I keep forgetting that we have some pretty lofty CAFE requirements to reach by 2025....and let's just say I don't see any major changes in DC for at least the next five years.

Even if gas stays at $1.39, Toyota will need some compliance vehicles to offset those 4x4's.

13. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    In the cafe, toyota got the biggest carve out. Its able to bank the prii and other efficient vehicles it sells now to offset some if its trucks and guzzlers. GM is is the worst shape, Hyundai just doesn't sell many guzzlers so they are far ahead and can sell some allowances to gm and others.

Low gas prices mean that probably prius lift backs and mid size 4 door sedan hybrids take almost all of the market. No reason for the big upspend on a LRXh or other expensive hybrid, but people will value oil savings and buy some of the real efficient (38mpg+, that cuts off anything with more than 4 cyclinders). Plug-ins look to be having a good january, with the best january ever for the volt, but the leaf is doing poorly.

Gas is a lot higher than $1.39 in California. The government should provide a price floor and lower our payroll taxes.

14. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Eh....
    That's probably wandering a little too close to the electric fence for the mods, and I'd hate to see this thread get flushed into the sewer over government price controls. :D

15. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Let's see how they rate:

Volume * Miles/Gallon
    2016 model ft{3} MPG ft{3}*mile / gal
    1 Prius ECO 93.1 + 27.4 56 6748.0
    2 Prius 93.1 + 24.6 52 6120.4
    3 Prius v 97.2 + 34.3 42 5523.0
    4 RAV4 (h) (*) 100.7 + 35.6 33 4497.9

* - RAV4 - has all-wheel drive and largest passenger and cargo volume

That should be 'wives' as mine too has a lead foot and still misses her 1974, Plymouth Fury station wagon. She delights at treating the posted speed limit as the lowest value.

This also highlights different approaches to fuel efficiency:
    • Better hardware - works regardless of driver (*)
    • Better operator - like force teaching opera, it doesn't work and annoys the student
    (*) Hummm, maybe the wife should get an EV or a Tesla . . . I3 becomes more attractive.

Bob Wilson

#55 bwilson4web, Feb 2, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  16. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    BTW it's only the last few days (after the steel plant fire in Japan) that we started hearing this stuff, one wonders if that event could stretch the schedules of release eg; PiP2

17. Blizzard_Persona

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Right!

I really would like to see the specs on the new PIP2 and if this screws up the release that would blow.

mrlebop likes this.
  18. E. Dennis

E. Dennis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Tesla Model X
    Model:
    N/A
    I do miss the old selection of wagons, like the old Accord and Camry models...the Volvo wagons were splendid.

There's certainly not a lot of wagon choices out there. VW, perhaps has the most trendiest with the Golf sportwagen. It just seems a tad ...plain and ordinary in design.
    Personally, I'd consider a hyCam "sport" wagon if Toyo designers would take a leap and create a trendy 3 row alternative to soccer-mom SUVs. A sort of go-between RAV4 - Highlander .

mrlebop likes this.
  19. Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I have 2 large dogs. The trunk, to me and my dogs, isn't "slightly larger". It's huge! First vehicle I've had that Seamus (the one pictured), can sit up straight in.
    The regular prius hatchback wouldnt work at all for me, so I guess it just depends on usage how valuable the larger rear area is. to me, it's invaluable.

Stevevee likes this.
  20. priusCpilot

priusCpilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I won't be replacing my C until the Gen 4 PC is out lol.

If gas is free or 10 bucks Prius C all day everything! I also have a few sport cars for fun on weekends and other toys.

Nothing will EVER beat it's reliability and lack of needing major service maintenance.

Incredible car and can't wait to hit 300+k miles. So far I'm at 80k and just changed fluids and 1 set of tires which are LLRs rated to go 90k miles lol!!!