1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oh Wow

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by crewdog, Nov 26, 2016.

1. crewdog

crewdog Acting Ensign Prius Prime

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    New Prime at home recharging on 240v!

Love the acceleration, and the Star Trek noise it makes as it gets up to speed.

Changed title on user icon.

So far only 29 primes are on Entune eco app.

The 6.2 miles from grocery store i made with 5.2 ev miles on pip, made with 4.2 ev miles on prime, so at first glance it seems way, way more efficient.

Zythryn, inferno, bisco and 6 others like this.
  2. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Star Trek noise? Does it ask you to beam something up?

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    20% improvement, amazing!(y)

4. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If it's the same as the PiP, I always thought it sounded like the first War of the Worlds (movie) machine movement sound sped up...

Awesome particularly since it's 150kg heavier.

Unsupervised!

5. Tideland2005

Tideland2005 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Very nice. Congrats

6. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Which Prius has better acceleration, Prime or regular?

7. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I just did a test drive on the first Prime in the Denver area. "Wow" is right.

The Prime is 4-5db quieter at 55 than my 2004 is (68-69db versus 73db on a non-calibrated device). At 65, it's still 3db quieter than my 2004 at 55 (70db versus 73db). Same road, same road surface.

The Prime (Advanced) I drove has Toyo Nano Energy tires.

The thing is crazy smooth when starting and stopping the engine. At lower power levels, it's undetectable. At high power levels, it's only detectable by the sound. It feels absolutely seamless. Very impressive.

Plenty of power and responsiveness. No issues at all climbing an on ramp to a 65 zone at less than half throttle. Very nice.

8. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I should have mentioned that these numbers were for Hv mode. I tried to measure a difference between Hv and Ev at 65mph and it was barely detectable - maybe 1db or so. That's because the engine is virtually silent at cruise power. At acceleration power, the difference is larger - perhaps 3db or so depending on throttle level.

One other thing. When I started the test drive, Ev mode was depleted. So I tossed it into charge mode right away so I'd have a little Ev to play with along the route. Now, on a short test drive charge mode doesn't give you much, so I only had one or two pixels above the line on the battery display when I put it into Ev mode. I then wanted to see the acceleration in Ev mode so I gradually pushed the accelerator down toward the floor. It took off well but as I got to about 75% throttle position, it started the engine. We knew it would do this in Ev mode at low levels of charge, but what took me by surprise is that I couldn't detect it other than by the sound. Even in hard acceleration - at an accelerating rate - starting the engine from off for assist just felt like Ev mode. It was completely smooth and the instant I let off the accelerator the engine stopped. It was only running for perhaps two seconds.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no question the gen IV cabin is quieter, but without running the same tires, the measurements can be skewed.

10. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That was Toyo NanoEnergy on the Prime versus Ecopia 422 Plus on the 2004.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    exactly. the tires could have been the whole difference, or some, or none. or even made the 2004 quieter than it would be with nano's.

12. GT4Prius

GT4Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Excel
    Off topic sorry, but can we estimate the weight of the prime traction battery? We know the weight difference between the two cars but there are lots of other factors in there so not a good guide. Thx.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

13. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  14. GT4Prius

GT4Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Excel
  15. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's 73Wh/kg. By modern standards, that's horrible. The best is about 3-4 times that amount.

I suspect most of the weight is packaging, protection from impacts, thermal control, and monitoring, rather than the batteries themselves. They should be in the 200Wh/kg range, give or take a little.

That's the problem with improvement. If the batteries become zero mass, this battery would only decrease in weight by a third or so.

They're going to have to do a better job of packaging if they want to make the batteries lighter.

In answer to your question, battery energy has been increasing by something like 7% a year. That is expected to decrease without changes to the fundamental structure of the batteries.

Lithium metal anodes have the potential to make the batteries twice as energy dense. So, you'd get twice the range from the same battery.

Lithium Sulfur has the potential to make the batteries 2-5 times as energy dense. Both are in active development.

16. GT4Prius

GT4Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Excel
    Thanks! V v interesting!!

So depending on the cost being a acceptable, there is the potential, theoretically at least, for owners to retrofit replacement traction batteries in the Prime in future, to double the range, or possibly if someone is prepared to manufacture a smaller battery package and cooling etc to reduce battery pack size and have a bit more cargo space? From what you say the second option is pretty limited in potential for space saving?

Is the cost reducing too with these developments, or does that mostly depend on economies of scale following increased sale volumes?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

17. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah, retrofit is theoretically possible.

Yes, cost is decreasing too.

18. yoyoman

yoyoman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I drove 15 miles to work but only spent EV 12miles of juice. Maybe the traffics is so bad at Bay Area - bumper to bumper speed.. couldnt wait to get my hov sticker... really bad.

iPhone ?