1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil 2.25 quarts low / engine damage

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Serious Lee, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Serious Lee

Serious Lee New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I need your advice.

I checked the oil something lik 7,000 miles after my last oil change and....2.25 quarts low. (that's how much i added to get full).
    Maybe even 2.5 low.
    Ow..

For reasons, I did not change oil then. Of course I regret that.
    Then a few thousand miles later, I had to add a 1/2 quart.
    I changed the oil at like 10,400 (I know).

Half my mileage is 12 mile trips. The rest is mostly 1-2 mile trips.

So, here's where it gets unfortunate, and I need advice.

Currently, my engine makes a vibrating purring sound, that irritates me when I'm in the driver's seat and car is at a stand still. Like drdrdrdrdrdrdr, but at a faster rate that one would make if you made that sound with your mouth. . I guess I'd say 'quieter' than a voice. I guess.

My mechanic says that basically the oil is not getting to the pistons in time.

He wants me to do this:
    As soon as almost a quart leaves the engine (as we know it will), he wants to add an oil additive that he says "should help", though there will be no way of knowing if it does.

He also says the purring may or may not stop, but either way, there will be no way to tell if I've still got a problem. At the end of our conversation he stated that it should be ok.

He definitely wants to do what he can or "risk ruining the engine".
    I hope I haven't already.

So, what's exactly going on, and what should I do?

What's the risk....should I even keep this car?

I am required be law to tell any potential buyer of any problem I know about the car.
    Yet and still, if the risk of dead car or short life / expensive repairs is significant, I'd rather sell it to someone willing to take on that risk than deal with major problems myself, of course.

But if it 'should be fine', fine.

Cliff notes:
    Engine oil down 2.5 quarts
    Now purring/constant 'rough hum'-type vibration/sound
    Damage assessment ?
    Next steps?
    In the future: Risk of major repairs?

Thanks,
    SL

#1 Serious Lee, Apr 2, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  2. Serious Lee

Serious Lee New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    @ETC(SS)
    In another thread, you said, "...a trusted local mechanic then you can certainly clean the EGR and the throttle body, and replace the PCV. Those are easy, sub $200 items."

>> Value in that / reason? I just want to see how important this is before spending $350. ( only because you said "you can certainly...", which sometimes means -- no one knows if this helps? Hard to tell from your wording.

"DO NOT go to a Toyota dealership and mention throttle body cleaning otherwise you'll wind up paying $150 for a $4 can of throttle body cleaner."

>> Got it, thanks.

"Clubbing up to a 5w30 flavor of oil won't really hurt either."

>>OK, will do.

"The problem you're going to have now isn't the rings in your engine, but rather your catalytic converter.
    You see.....in 45-1/2 states, a bad catalytic converter is about a $300 fix.
    It's a little different in SoCal, and you're going to have to get a handle on the drinking problem before your cat gets fodded out and have to deal with that as a main issue."

>>I'm in KY / Ohio. How will I know when I need that fixed ?

Thank you for advice!!

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

how many miles on her, and how many have you owned her for? can you post a recording of the sound?

start checking the oil everyday, then slowly spread out the checks as you feel comfortable.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Prius Chat (y).

Some additional questions :):
    • Has your mechanic worked on a Prius before?
    • Can you share the additive he is thinking of using?
    • Have you done any additional maintenance on your Prius, or just been “by the book”?
    Keep us posted (y).

5. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    First and foremost, y not just top it up and see what happens? Is the noise still there?

Can you do a short video of the noise?

In my opinion, if the noise is still there, it can't be the piston rings that's the problem. It might be the connecting rod bearings are wearing out because of lack of insufficient oil pressure supply to them. You could use a thicker viscosity oil and see what happens. If it doesn't reduce, you may have to prepare for an engine overhaul, or replacement with a used olw mileage one.

Grit likes this.
  6. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Welcome to PriusChat.

If the engine was starved for oil for a long period of time, this would cause damage to the connecting rod bearings. Try using a 5w30 oil. If the noise remains then u are most likely looking at a engine rebuild or replacement.

iPhone ?

Grit likes this.