1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil Analysis Anyone?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by PhilBlank, Jun 25, 2014.

1. PhilBlank

PhilBlank Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Do any PIP (or other) owners do routine oil analysis when doing an oil filter and oil change?

Does anyone cut open the filter to look for metal particles? What about sending the filter element to a lab...anyone do that?

Thanks,

Phil

2. LA2014Prius

LA2014Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think PIP will be fine for 10,000 miles oil change. The engine only running 1/2 ish compare to other cars. I believe the oil filter doesn't have to be cut, it's one of the drop in type.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if anything, i would be concerned about underuse. but i'm not sure that's bad for an engine.

4. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Under using an engine?
    What about that Boston guy with 90% EV usage on his PiP. He changes the oil at 10k miles and throws away 1000 mile old oil.

If you are interested in Oil Analysis, here's a thread on the Transaxle Oil change with analysis:
    ATF fluid changes ARE Required. | PriusChat

What does the current PiP owner's manual call out for Transaxle Oil Change Intervals?

5. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I did that in the past when I got the BITOG disease. I recovered from that and it's just not worth the effort. The best (and free) indicator of wear for me is amount of debris on magnetic drain plugs. I use them in all my cars.

6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, No, and....... (thinking.....) No.

It's instructive for some, and if you're able to get the search feature to work in this forum you can find where other owners have done this.

For me the juice just isn't worth the squeeze.
    I usually get about 200-250K out of a car by just checking/changing the oil.

Good Luck!

P.S. If you get this service, please post the results.

mmmodem and Mendel Leisk like this.
  7. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    But Gen3 Transaxles don't have magnetic drain plugs.
    That metallic brew of wear particles is always in suspension.

What is best for the car? Is there talk of ever changing the ATF in a PiP? You know it works harder than a regular Prius...

8. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how to sidetrack a thread in 4 easy posts...

10. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    OP said, "Do any PIP (or other) owners do routine oil analysis when doing an oil filter and oil change?"

Routine maintenance? Just the engine? The transaxle should be ignored?

If you are leasing, or know you won't keep your car beyond 100k miles, or so,
    yes, the transaxle should be ignored. Let the next owner deal with it.

If you do routine engine oil changes, like others have said, you won't find any surprises if you spend the extra $15 for an oil analysis.
    If you wait to change the transaxle ATF at 100k miles, you will find a nasty surprise when you have it analysed.

These posts are to encourage good routine maintenance practices. Take it or leave it.
    It's 4 qts. of ATF. Your call.

Yes, the PiP is using the transaxle harder. That awesome 62mph limit is because MG1 is close to max RPM, correct?

11. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I use

wearcheck.com

they do a good job for $25. You can be a first and we can start a sticky at the top of the page like in the G2 forum.But on a brand new car why bother. I would much rather spend the money on Mobil 1 oil. M1 5-30 at Walmart is $23.95 for 5 quart jug.

Bill had some very interesting pictures of G3 trans fluid. Fluid looked really bad and strange color. Makes me think the G3 trans is harder on fluid than the G2. Thats the UOA I would like to see. I would change the trans fluid very early to get manufacturing debris out of there. Then every 50,000 miles. Its very cheap insurance.

Post all your DIY on toyota.com/owners and it will look very good to the next buyer.