1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil burning prevention pondering

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by nick31, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've gone with Toyota 0W20 since day one, no consumption yet, but only 50K miles, so who knows.

FWIW, with 30+ years of Honda vehicles, I've never had one that didn't use a little oil, anywhere from a cup to a pint top up required, about mid-way between oil changes, to bring it back to the top. Never anything catastrophic though.

2. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have owned over 25 vehicles, all makes and have never had anyone of my cars use oil. Its all about early oil changes, not driving hard, letting engine warm up by driving easy and using a quality oil. Mobil 1 is what I have always used and I will continue with Mobil 1.

3. nick31

nick31 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Of course early (3k?) oil changes and driving lightly affect the state of the engine and state of the oil.
    However majority sticks with recommended 10k mi oci and/or drives hard (guilty).
    I have 2 3rd gens and it seems that the one with 105k is becoming oil thirsty.
    Will it be driven lighter? I highly doubt that. I am changing synth 0w20 oil every 5k. Is that oil stable? The dipstick tells me it's not. So I'm going to dump a few bottles of techron over time and my next oil will be the one that does good enough on the heat test.

4. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Among the 9 pri in my group of friends we have found 0w-40 Mobil 1 to be the oil of choice to reduce burning. We also noticed that the 3 cars driven most conservative ly burn the most oil. This may be chance or they may have been run without oip changes longer or poor quality oil or who knows. Just observations here. We still love these cars.

orenji likes this.
  5. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would recommend sticking with 5K mile changes and switch to Mobil 1 0W-40 weight oil.