1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil Burning

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Ted in Olympia, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Ted in Olympia

Ted in Olympia New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was reading the manual today and it said that "normal" oil consumption can be as high as 1 quart per 600 miles. And do not bother calling the dealer unless it burns more than this amount. This seems terrible to me and I think I would be at the dealer if mine burnt any oil between changes. It does not even say how often you should check the oil?

Does anybody have oil burning problems?

How often do you check your oil?

Do you have to add oil between changes and if so how often?

Thanks

TED

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    welcome Ted; have driven 3 Priuses over the past 6½ years and none of them burned a single drop of oil. i used to check the oil level a few times a week. i am now down to less than once a month. i would not recommend it as i have been lulled into a sense of complacency

welcome to PC!!

3. Ted in Olympia

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks Dave,

As a note I put this in the incorrect area. This Forum has a ton of subject areas and it is easy to forget where you are when you submit a new post.

TED

4. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No oil consumption here. Not in any of my other three Toyotas either.

5. socratesthecabdriver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    it goes down a bit it depends on how hard the car is driven! i did notice my oil go down a bit !

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This seems consistent with the manufacturer figures for other-brand cars I've owned, only one of which regularly needed added oil between changes.

Do any other common models or manufacturers list lower oil consumption limits in their manuals?

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I bought new a 2000 GMC Sierra with the Vortec 5.3 that had oil consumption every bit as high, sometimes more. Have never owned a Toyota or Honda that burned any noticeable oil

8. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Toyota says:

[​IMG]

However, my car has yet to show any oil consumption with 44k miles. I check the level every 3rd or 4th time I refuel.

Attached Files:

9. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    yea the i qt every 600 miles is just sad. But i haven't noticed my oil level going down over the 30,000 miles i have drove.

10. GrGramps

GrGramps Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess Toyota is most interested in reminding new owners that an internal combustion engine burns oil. How much it burns is affected by miles on the engine, type of oil and weight, topping off as needed, how it's driven, and the list goes on.

Since the oil change interval is now 10,000 miles, (am I right) the owner should check the level and replenish as needed. I don't believe that there are many Prius on the road that are burning much oil. I hope the entry in the owners manual would discourage an owner, who just added a quart after 6,000 miles, from complaining that his engine is defective.

Your mileage may vary.:cool:

11. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    By my estimation, if you're burning a quart every 600 miles, what's the point of changing the oil every 10,000? You've already changed it 4 times! :D

+1 to not burning any, though. I'm at about 4500 miles so far, and it's just as full as it was when I picked it up.

bentbow likes this.
  12. Ted in Olympia

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    All good news thanks. Chevy used this excuse with the Vega years ago. People were burning up engines since they were burning a quart every 500 miles or so. At first Chevy answer was that it was normal and the manual said to check at every fill up. This gave them the excuse not to honor the warranty. But in the end they had to come through with replacement engines since the problem was so widespread.

TED

1 person likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my fathers girlfriends 2005 cadillac with 60,000 miles has burned a quart every 500 miles since it was new. dealer told her it was 'normal'. mormal for gm maybe. northstar engine i believe.

1 person likes this.
  14. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Prius, which uses the high-compression and retarded-valve-timing version of the Corolla engine, will burn about half quart in the first 5,000 miles, when the engine is broken into. After the engine is broken into (after 5,000) miles, the oil consumption should be a small fraction of a quart in 5,000 miles.

Later in the engine's life (after 100,000 miles or more), you will start seeing leaks and higher oil consumption.

The rule of thumb is that check your oil regularly, at least once every 5,000 miles with a new car, and notice the oil level. This will tell you how much oil is being consumed. If all is normal, it will be a fraction of a quart, and you don't have to worry about checking it frequently or adding oil.

Note that it takes one quart to go from the low mark to the high mark on the dipstick. Chances are that most new Toyotas won't require adding oil but if there is something wrong, you would ruin your engine if you are not checking your oil. It could be that the dealer might have forgot to put the drain-plug gasket for example. Also, do not overfill when adding oil.

So, the long story short, you should check your oil even with a new car if you care about your car.

1 person likes this.
  15. Econ

Econ Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I check the oil on the dip stick and the washer fluid every Saturday.I do this first thing in the am or when the car has not run for a few hours. I do not burn any between oil changes.
    Tire pressure- the first day of every month. I keep a visual on all four tires when every I can throughout the week.

16. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I went almost 20k mile between oil changes recently and I was down about 1qt.. It may have actually been less because I usually ask the guy changing it to fill to just a bit under the full mark.

That's not bad IMO. Then again, I come from background of racing GM cars and trucks. lol

17. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So if i do the math there is nothing wrong with a prius that burns 16.6 qts of oil between oil changes. Thats more oil than if the prius was a 2 stroke.

18. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    All engines burn some amount of oil, even if it's only a small fraction of a quart, including the Prius/Corolla engine, because that's how they work.

At one point in its life, the Prius engine will start burning/leaking 1 quart every 600 miles, but this could be after 200,000 or 300,000 miles.

When your car has more than 120,000 miles on it, changing the oil every 5,000 or even 3,000 miles is a good idea, as the oil will be consumed and deteriorate much more rapidly. In fact when the oil deteriorates, it thins with hydrocarbons and is consumed much more rapidly. The 10,000-mile oil-change interval only applies to the first 120,000 miles or so.

Silver Pine Mica likes this.
  19. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Strictly speaking, yes. But that's just Toyota covering their nice person. The largest oil consumption rate I recall reported in Priuschat is half a quart in 5000 miles. At 51000 mine does not burn oil measurably between changes.

20. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I disagree, if i had to add a quart every 600 miles there is no reason to change the oil early, cause every week i would have 1 quart of fresh oil added.

Mendel Leisk likes this.