1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

oil cartridge falling apart?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by GasSaver1, Jan 5, 2014.

1. GasSaver1

GasSaver1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just changed my oil and when I pulled the canister off and took the filter out I went to wipe down the inside of the canister and saw a chunk of the filter on the bottom of the canister. It did not occur to me to take a picture at the time.... it was roughly 1 square cm. I had to fish it out with a screw driver before putting the new filter in.

Here was the conditions:
    My car has 15,000 miles on it. I have done an oil change 3x now. 1 at 1,000, 1 at 5,000 and now was the first time I went the 10,000 mile interval. The last oil change was about 8 months ago but during this 10,000 interval I made two round trips from NY to FL (drive 1300 miles straight then do it again 2 weeks later. This done in August and now in December so there is a range of temperature changes).

So here is the question:
    Obviously this is not normal. The oil may be able to last 10,000 miles or 1 year but the filter probably breaks down long before that. I am considering putting oil filter replacement on a 5,000 miles interval like regular cars. We all know it is possible to pull the canister off without draining the oil, there is minimal oil loss and just have to top it back up.

Has anyone ever experienced a filter falling apart? Can the conditions cause this? Is 5k interval a good idea?

Thanks

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have not heard of or experienced an oil filter falling apart. What filter are you using?

I personally prefer to change oil at 5k mile intervals. My main reason is getting under the car and inspecting for leaks, abnormal wear, CV joint boot cracks, etc. on a more frequent basis.

I understand that UOA has verified the oil can go 10+k miles and more but I also prefer to change the filter on a more frequent basis. If I am changing filter I am also going to change oil.

Be prepared to hear a wide range of opinions on this subject.

3. GasSaver1

GasSaver1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    the filter is the OEM 04152-YZZA6
    the canister is torqued to 28ft-lbs everything is pretty much exactly by the book.

The oil I am using is Mobil 1 0w-20 full synthetic approved for Honda and Toyota (incase the oil somehow caused this)

4. GasSaver1

GasSaver1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Where the filter is like $5, the oil is roughly $7.50 a quart or Walmart sells it in 5qt jugs for $25bux at least down in Florida.

I understand the concept of if you are going to crawl under there to do the filter might as well get the oil too but if the oil itself can really last 10,000 miles it just doesn't seem very environmentally friendly and can add quite a few dollars in annual maintenance.

5. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I carry the used oil to Advance Auto for recycle. I do not consider 4 quarts recycled every 6 month as having an environmental impact.

6. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe try the Toyota TRD filters, they seem much more robust as compared to the stock filters.
    Part #: PTR43-52090
    PTR43-52090.jpg

AAA likes this.
  7. working1

working1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I used the TRD filters the first 50K and have switched to using the Mobil 1 M1C-154 Extended Performance Oil Filter. About 20% or the TRD filters I received had quality issues with the construction of the filter and could not be used. Too high of a rejection rate to absorb. In my humble opinion, there are better filters than the OEM filter for a 10K service interval. I change oil/filter at 7.5K but I will not use the OEM filter.

8. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    How much oil do you lose when changing only the filter?

9. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Not much, only what is in the filter. You could change only the filter and top off the oil level.

gliderman likes this.
  10. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    But why...you are already under there. If you feel the filter has failed or not up to the job, then the oil should be changed as well...don't you think.

11. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    +1. That is my line of reasoning as well.

12. GasSaver1

GasSaver1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    the theory is that the filter is the weak link. Synthetic oil wont break down so you would be maintaining the weaker link until the whole thing needed to be done. It is almost like changing a brake pad before it is grinding the rotor.

Also if people are using the 2year Toyota care, honor an oil change every 5k because the procedures now say 1year or 10k.

AAA likes this.
  13. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Go for it then...but if my "other" vehicle has a failed fluid filter, that requires determinations there are no other mechanical failures and repairs required, followed by a fluid change regardless the results. This practice is sound regardless the machine.

Your car, your choice. :)

Rebound likes this.
  14. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Did the filter media come from the current filter, or was it from a previously installed and removed filter?

It could have been a scrap left over from the manufacturing process. Were the edges clean cut or was it raggedly torn?

15. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's what I've used since my first 10k oil change interval. I haven't seen any quality issues in the TRD filters.

16. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    28 ft lbs?? Correct torque is 18 ft lbs for the filter cap.
    I have not had any problems with a 10k interval on the filter. The filter has always looked perfect upon removal for me.

17. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Neither have I- yes they're hand stitched, so the seam may seem a bit irregular but it's 100% functional and way better made than the stock OEM filter especially with the metal endcaps.

18. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The metal end caps, apparently are "glued" to the ends with an exothermic setting epoxy, as are the OEM filters, so I don't see how they are any better.

I'll stick with the OEM filters.

Again, I still believe that the piece found by the OP was likely a cut-off scrap and NOT part of the functional filter.

19. GasSaver1

GasSaver1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    it is 18 ft lbs

mistype, I accidentally gave oil plug numbers but meant 18 on original post

20. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I just mark the housing in relation to the "clip," before the first oil change.

The dealer did three complete oil changes and always returned the housing mark to within 1/8 inch of the clip.

Attached Files: