1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

oil cartridge falling apart?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by GasSaver1, Jan 5, 2014.

1. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    John,

I see what you are talking about now. Someone else is going to have to answer your question !

Dwight

2. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure if I understood you correctly, but to clarify, oil goes to oil pump first before the filter and oil flow in the filter is is from outside in.

[​IMG]

3. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe you're right as to the Prius, but the loose piece of filter media still will not pass through the intake screen or go through the tight tolerances of the engine.

A lot of oil pumps don't have the pressure relief valve going back to the oil pan. That is handled by the clearance on the rotors. As the speed increases. clearances prevent the buildup of excess pressure.

The relief valve is in the filter cartridge of a "spin on" filter. In the current model of Prius, the relief spring and valve is in the center of the filter cap. That way, there quality of the relief valve is assured in the OEM filter cap. On that account, I would not buy anything but a genuine Toyota replacement filter cap.

4. GasSaver1

GasSaver1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I don't know.... I didn't check. I dumped the filter and then only as I was installing the new filter did I notice the chunk at the bottom of the canister. As mentioned I had to fish it out. I wish I would have looked- just had to fish it out of the trash

Den49 likes this.
  5. mindmachine

mindmachine Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    NOT REALLY!

6. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Since this was addressed (SCREAMED!) :) to me, please explain.

7. mindmachine

mindmachine Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You guys are way too anal about this.

8. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My comment was directed to someone who felt the need to change the "oil filter only" at 5k without changing the oil on their gasoline powered car. It is your privilege to have a differing opinion, however as a mechanic I guarantee I take much better care of my vehicles than you ever have...or likely ever will. By the way, thanks for the "anal comment" regarding maintenance...I consider that a compliment. ;)

9. working1

working1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I work in industry that depends on the skill of many talented folks to deliver a finished product that works. They will not let a unit ship without it meeting the expectations of what the customer needs. I expect the same from TRD filters. If over 80% of the filters I buy are OK, why not 100%? This is a process issue. Get it right 100% of the time going forward.

10. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Looks do NOT always equate function. I haven't examined the TRD filters, but they may function at 100% without looking pleasing to the eye.

11. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't understand the consternation over the LOOKS of the TRD filter??
    The fact that the hand stitching on the element seam isn't up to assembly line robotic standards has zero to do with the functionality of the filter. Why are people claiming 20% are not serviceable right out of the box? Just because it LOOKS HAND MADE? Seriously, we're talking about a sub $10 item here- not a $1000 hand made Italian suit.... the stitching has to be functional, not elegant and perfectly straight or uniform.
    Has anyone ever read anything about a TRD filter failing, especially at the element seam?
    The TRD filters are premium priced and supposed to be more durable than the regular Toyota filters not an economy alternative to them.

12. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Those who do not understand engineering concepts and function base decisions on image and looks.

In years of evaluating and investigations, I am least impressed with those people who have immaculately clean offices and workshops who work in inherently messy and dirty environments.

While a certain degree of cleanliness and neatness are required for safety, such facilities would indicate that they may NOT know what is significant in their business and base more of their sales on image rather than function.

It's like selling dog food. Dog food is marketed to humans, NOT dogs.

ny_rob likes this.
  13. Mr.Electric

Mr.Electric Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I wait until the oil maintenance required warning comes on (5k miles?) then use a cheap filter element and cheap bulk 5-20w oil. This is not the recommended oil weight but it is what is readily available at the vehicle maintenance area at my job. The total cost of oil change is very low ( free ). I hope I never regret it and need to spend big on a new motor.

14. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That was meant as a joke correct?

15. Mr.Electric

Mr.Electric Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    No not a joke.

16. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If the "cheap bulk" oil is not synthetic I would go with 3,000 on change cycles. If it's synthetic...cheap is good...and 5,000 is also. In San Fran 0-20 or 5-20 "synthetic" makes no difference other than maybe 1 or 2 mpg. 0-20 is used and recommended by Toyota for Gen IIIs to inch out better EPAs. The real key to engine life as it relates to oil is frequent changes. These are my opinions and I am sure someone will get upset with them. :rolleyes:

17. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I vote for the dealer to change it with OEM parts and if it fails they buy. Prius is a car I will never change the oil on or flush the brakes. Oil gets dirty folks please change your oil often. Air filters I am reconsidering to let the dealer do it under warranty.

It just does not cost that much more to be free of the hassle and aggravation.

18. subjective

subjective Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I once had a Fram come apart on a BMW 528 at about 5k mi. I always used Mobile 1 oil and the oil was changed at Walmart. At that time this store had a good oil change team. The mgr. brought this anomaly to my attention. At that time Fram had an agreement with Walmart that if one of their filters came apart and damaged the engine, Fram would repair or replace the engine. Sure enough Fram called me and confirmed this policy and told me to contact them if the engine was damaged. Fortunately the engine was not damaged and we drove this car another 60K mile. I do not know if this Fram warranty is still in effect with Walmart or other oil service dealers. The man that bought this BMW from me I know over another 100k miles with no problems. I considered this luck.

19. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I took this photo of the factory filter I have out in the garage. The ends of the pleats are sealed with glue.

pleats.jpg

jdcollins5 likes this.
  20. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks, I thought I must be missing something, but this is not at all obvious in picture 1.

John (Britprius)