1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil Catch Can are useless

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by abubin, Jan 30, 2023.

1. Eddie25

Eddie25 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Generic amazon 350ml located under the engine. I take out the air filter box to dump it between oil changes, takes about 10 min. It wouldn't bother me if it filled up faster in the summer and not the winter. I suppose I could have located it up top and that would pretty much solve my issue.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe that can just isn’t very effective; does it have internal baffling?

mikey_t likes this.
  3. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    OMG. I just spit out my drink! ROFLMAO!.. My wife and I HAVE HEATED ARGUEMENTS OVER MY DIRTY SHOP TOWELS. after 13 years of marriage............we now have rules...
    LOL. I now have my own stash that are MINE. We have a drawer full for the FAMILY to use..and SHE has HERS in a super secret stash somewhere in the woman cave. NO JOKE.

bisco and mikey_t like this.
  4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The wife and I came to a compromise a couple years ago, actually. I keep a cardboard box in the garage near the door that goes into the house/kitchen area. When she has any household towels that she deems no longer worthy of keeping (regardless of size or where used), she washes them one last time and then places them in that box, where they officially become shop rags. I have quite an abundant supply. Anywhere from beach towels to facecloths. I still like to grab one from the kitchen every now and then just to keep her guessing..

Sub4Medic likes this.
  5. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Correct. The Gen 3 intake manifold does a great job at catching oil, sludge, carbon, water, etc. In fact, it's so effective, it can completely defeat the EGR process, causing broken head gaskets and piston rods, etc.

Sub4Medic likes this.
  6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's hard to keep track of all the "x causes broken head gaskets and rods etc." stories floating around PriusChat. Some are less persuasive than others, but we might just have set a new record.

7. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You are right. As noted above, more recent engine designs drain the condensate back to the sump. The condensate volume is much less in engines without low tension rings and a low PCV valve location.

8. DPri

DPri Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    xliderider likes this.