1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil Catch Can, Eliminate that knock!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by danlatu, May 22, 2017.

1. Coots

Coots Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah, I can see that, it makes sense.
    It was my second round at it, too. It only took me about 2 hours total to do the job, so I'd have been waiting around, since I had already replaced the intake manifold and I only needed to do the EGR valve. It was a gamble on the cooler's cleanliness and, like I said, since I had to remove it anyway for the valve, I just replaced it again.

And:
    I kept my old one this time since it was only used for 60k miles and still pretty clean. I plan to clean it and keep it as a spare to reuse the next time I need to change out the cooler (which will probably be forever).

So far, 2000 miles on the updated intake manifold (without catch can) and not a single knock. Fluctuating midwest temps from mid 20s to 50s.

ASRDogman and Mendel Leisk like this.
  2. Victorine

Victorine Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is an update of my new OCC install after approximately 900 km of short trips in cold, humid weather.
    I changed the oil at 7617 km (Yacco 0W20 HY) and all filters, so I used the oportunity to also check how the OCC is working.
    Still found a light oil coating in the intake manifold, but the OCC seems to be working better than my previous setups. It collected approximately 75 mL liquid in the above mentioned interval. But what puzzles me is the aspect of the liquid. It seems to contain more water than oil and it is not the emulsion I was used to. If you take a look at the picture, I asume water is set at the bottom, since oil and fuel have significantly lower density and float at the top.
    I also found that the O-rings used by the Chinese manufacturer are not oil/fuel resistant and became soft and enlarged... I will have to change them. The interior of the can was all sprayed with liquid, all the way to the top, above the baffle plate. When assembling it back together I didn't use the stainless steel scrub, I just want to see how it performs without it. Screenshot_20230317-190938_Gallery.jpg

3. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Increased condensation of the moisture blowby gases contain is caused by winter temperatures

Coots and Mendel Leisk like this.
  4. Victorine

Victorine Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, this seems obvious, but I didn't expect to see more than 80% water and I also wonder how is this new OCC working so differently than my previous setups, since it separates the phases so good, I was used to seeing an emulsion (café latte). See old vs. new setup: Screenshot_20230320-082450_Gallery.jpg
    I'm just curious. Of course, water content in the mixture has to do with the season, I'm just trying to figure out what happens inside the OCC. Maybe someone with an OCC equipped with bronze filter can come with an update, too.

#2264 Victorine, Mar 20, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
  5. markinuckfield

markinuckfield New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
    Has anyone found an increase in fuel consumption once the catch cans installed ?

mine has jumped by more than 10%

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    So you're using more gas per mile, or less? I wouldn't expect it to make a difference, one way or the other.

7. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No difference for me.

8. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Decreased MPG is my interpretation…

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I suspect you’re right, but grammatically, “increase in fuel consumption” means, well, an increase in consumption of fuel? How about we let @markinuckfield field the question.

10. markinuckfield

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
    it’s gone up from 57 to 65mpg and the sound of the engine is completely different, very smooth. In the U.K.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe something else improved in the process led to mpg improvement? Did you have the intake manifold and throttle body off in the process, cleaned them?

The "reward" of an Oil Catch Can is an intake significantly less fouled up with crankcase goop, and hopefully less carbon build-up on the pistons/rings, and engine longevity.

#2271 Mendel Leisk, Jul 22, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2023
    Grit likes this.
  12. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My impression was slightly increased power or throttle response. Not sure whether mpg was affected though.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

jzchen likes this.
  13. Fifen

Fifen Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Im still curious if this is a safe mod to do on a vehicle that exists in a winter state (Utah). Winter temps stay below freezing for a few months.

SM-N986U ?

14. markinuckfield

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
    What do people do about the valve cover vent pipe?

15. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Having it in a location where you can pour hot water over it can help sometimes. In winter just need to empty it more often.

I've had it completely plugged with ice and no serious consequences. You'll know by the engine noise. Needed to empty weekly in January cold

moto g power ?

16. OptimusPriustus

OptimusPriustus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not
    i would add that if driving is mainly city driving (egr used a lot) and oil consumption is low then the reward can be significant. I myself still don’t have nor plan occ. Not worth trouble. Car consume oil anyway so table spoon every now and then via intake does not make any difference:)

17. Paladain55

Paladain55 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'll add that these cars are atkinson cycle engines so you will always have an oily intake manifold. They basically vomit oily intake charges (around 20% of total stroke) from the cylinder back into the manifold all day. Rings only seal so well. Typically this will go out the exhaust port but it also gets to lube up the intake ports on its way to the next cylinder that is willing to use it. I have no crankcase ventilation vapors going to my intake manifold and it still gets a good coating of carbon and oil. Doesn't seem to hurt anything. I don't get any pooling at the bottom of the intake or winter cold starts anymore.

18. OptimusPriustus

OptimusPriustus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Never experienced cold start rattle. Not even at -25deg Celsius. Intake is well lubed

Paladain55 likes this.
  19. markinuckfield

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
    Sorry bad grammar really

the car has improved fuel consumption.
    It’s gone from 52.6 to 56.7 actual. It’s just been filled up and the dash is showing 67. Waiting on the next tank full to see if it’s any higher in reality

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  20. markinuckfield

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
    I cleaned the inlet manifold and egr channels out 3 months ago and changed the pcv

Mendel Leisk likes this.