1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil Catch Can, Eliminate that knock!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by danlatu, May 22, 2017.

1. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe it should be in the same spot under the intake plenum. The engine code 2zrfxe is the same for third and fourth gens.
    Screen Shot 2017-11-06 at 4.08.02 PM.png

mjoo, amos and Mendel Leisk like this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Looks like you can't miss it. (y)

I started a thread in 4th gen, asking if anyone was doing OCC. I'll post a link to this.

RMB, amos, scona and 1 other person like this.
  3. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe all the prius' need oil catch can's due to the high compression and it should be a sticky along with egr system cleaning. A lot of problems here on priuschat lead to motor knock, bad mpg and blown head gaskets. We might be able to prevent a lot of expensive repairs and down time with this.

Robert Holt, RMB, mjoo and 4 others like this.
  4. amos

amos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Great idea. Some gen4 here may be at their 100k already. Taxies and uber with gen 4 may be be there by now . 2 years on the road.

5. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @soldierguy is getting close, I believe. He has a long commute.

Raytheeagle and amos like this.
  6. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Since they are in our geographical area, I offered my services up to help understand if the egr circuit is improved from the Gen3 with the relocation to after the catalytic converter ;).

Still waiting to hear back:whistle:.

mjoo, Prodigyplace, scona and 2 others like this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Still, there's no upside to waiting till 100K miles for an OCC. Well, except concerns about jinxing warranty, which is really too bad.

#307 Mendel Leisk, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    scona, Prodigyplace and amos like this.
  8. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    After a year mine has only 12K miles. I am a little concerned about the WAF (wife acceptance factor) of doing this for little or no immediate benefit to us.

9. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    don't tell your wife/
    if my wife would know what I did already to her subaru to extend its life, she would probably be mad at me..../ ;)

10. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your secret is safe with us... what was it?

Raytheeagle, pilotgrrl, amos and 2 others like this.
  11. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    SFO and amos like this.
  12. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    occ, oil/gas/atf/radiator fluid additives, signal lights as drl's, led hi-beams, interior lights & tail lights all leds, brake light flasher, signal light flash speed.....
    for my wife a car is nothing more than a tool to get from a to b, as long as it does that, she has no interest at all in the details..../
    except she doesn't want neone to screw around with it, because in her opinion cars come perfect from the factory/

Butaketsu, Simtronic, m.wynn and 4 others like this.
  13. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My wife was raised on a farm so she mechanically knows her way around pretty good.

SFO and Raytheeagle like this.
  14. amos

amos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @danlatu . the potential of carbon build up is still there on the gen4. I dont see the engineering improvement aspect. Just by removing and relocating pipes? Pcv valve is at same area so they obviously think it is right. I think you mentioned before that egr cooler is mounted at a higher point now.
    Does gen 4 has same p/n for egr cooler? Egr pipe? as with gen3 @Mendel Leisk.
    Digging deeper into it lile hoses and pipes diameter or material used may give us an idea of where did toyota engineers decide to improve desigh. They obviously know better and obviously know this problem is real.
    @mjoo ?

#314 amos, Nov 9, 2017
    mjoo likes this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The EGR on 4th gen connect to exhaust downstream of the catalytic converter, whereas on 3rd gen it's upstream. The part no's look to be all different:

EGR System for 2010 Toyota Prius | Toyota Parts

EGR System for 2016 Toyota Prius | Toyota Parts

Here you can see the revised 4th gen exhaust manifold EGR inlet:

Exhaust Manifold for 2016 Toyota Prius | Toyota Parts

EGR inlet highlighted in yellow, downstream of CAT:

upload_2017-11-9_11-27-21.png

#315 Mendel Leisk, Nov 9, 2017
  16. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There must be other reasons you're keeping her...

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

SFO likes this.
  17. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The sooner the oil catch can goes on the sooner it starts collecting deposits from your crankcase reaping a cleaner engine.
    From the pic mendel provided, the egr gas should be cleaner since it is from the downstream.

Robert Holt, RMB, amos and 1 other person like this.
  18. soldierguy

soldierguy Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't really dug into it yet, although I did take a peek down the throttle body a few days ago. I'm at roughly 82,500 miles now, or somewhere in that neighborhood...the miles pile on quickly!

Anyway, I saw what looked like a thin coating of liquid on the inside of the intake manifold...just enough to make it shiny. Throttle plate was clean on both sides. But honestly, I'm not too worried about what I saw in there.

Here's why I'm not worried. There's a lot going on in that intake manifold. EGR sending exhaust fumes (there are tiny particles of stuff in those fumes), PCV sending oily fumes into the manifold, and because the engine itself is an Atkinson cycle engine, the intake valves will allow part of the air-fuel mix back into the intake manifold on the compression stroke, to effectively reduce the compression and reduce pumping losses under low-load conditions. Let's see...exhaust particles, oil fumes, and a little bit of fuel, and all I have is a thin film of liquid on the manifold? That's not too bad to me...I was fearing a VW TDI-like sludge thickly layered on. Also, I know it can't be much oil that's getting in there...I have never seen the oil level drop even the tiniest bit between oil changes.

Granted, I haven't looked at the PCV valve or the lines leading from the PCV to the intake manifold, so that could be gunked up, although given the relative lack of stuff visible downstream of the throttle body, I wouldn't expect a lot of garbage in there.

For now, I'll keep using top-tier gas, and I'll keep tossing some techron in the tank now and then as well. Maybe around 100K or so I'll look at the PCV.

danlatu, Mendel Leisk, amos and 3 others like this.
  19. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Since an oil catch can doesn’t sound like it is in your near future, what about a trip through the egr circuit :whistle:?

danlatu, amos and Prodigyplace like this.
  20. soldierguy

soldierguy Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't see a need at this point. If I had seen sludge thickly coating the manifold walls, or if I see some nasty stuff at around 100K, I might look at a catch can, but not mess with EGR.

My logic is this. To make sludge, you need at least two elements: quite a bit of PCV oil ending up in the manifold (or some other liquid), and a lot of fairly large exhaust particles being sent into the manifold. I can't do anything at all about fuel ending up in there due to the Atkinson cycle engine, so that's off the table for trying to address. EGR...I'm not too worried about EGR. Since the Prius engine is not direct-injected, the exhaust particles are very likely small...direct-injected and diesels emit larger particles, but not regular port-injected engines. Plus, in order to address EGR, I'd have to mess with emissions components, and I'm not interested in doing that because I do not want to pollute more than I have to. I would be ok with adding a catch can, if I see the need later on...although PCV is part of the emissions system, it's really there for evaporative emissions. A catch can doesn't change that, as long as you keep it sealed by not using the breather element.

So I'll see as I continue driving. For now I'm not sweating it. Maybe sometime in the spring I'll add a catch can. The challenge is finding the time to do it!

danlatu, mjoo, Mendel Leisk and 2 others like this.