1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil Catch Can, Eliminate that knock!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by danlatu, May 22, 2017.

1. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    We actually had some rain down here yesterday and more in the forecast.

But I’ll make pulling the stick in the Can part of the routine;).

Not a bad addition to the usual 5 minute routine(y).

danlatu and Mendel Leisk like this.
  2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here is our first report of a 90K mile Gen 4. Dealer performed maintenance, but it mentions oil seen in the intake manifold looking through the throttle body.
    Noticeable performance improvement after dealer service.

Super-Commuter & high mile thread | Page 2 | PriusChat

Attached Files:

RMB, danlatu and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I’m still more than willing to help if we could ever convince them to allow us to;).

Would be good to take a gander and see what the Gen4’s look like:).

But I can only do so much:whistle:.

RMB, Prodigyplace and danlatu like this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    SoldierGuy mentions "a little film of oil", looking through the throttle body. That's open to interpretation, but on the face of it, sounds like the condition I observed sometime after Oil Catch Can install (on our third gen).

Prior to OCC install there was a "swimming pool", maybe a 1/16~1/8" of liguid, filling all the convolutions of the intake manifold's nadir.

IIRC maybe 1000 km's post OCC install, there was no pool, but there was a thin, oily film. I'm suspecting that's due to a slight spit-out of oil from the intake ports, and perhaps a residual amount of vapour sneaking through the OCC.

Anyway, this would bode good for fourth gen PCV circuit. OTOH, SoldierGuy might be a special case: he's running 100's of miles daily, so always well warmed up, lots of engine run time.

RMB and danlatu like this.
  5. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I do not think it would hurt to put an oil catch can on. That thin film of oil/water/fuel is being sucked into your combustion chamber. The carbon buildup will eat at your performance and increase compression with time. Cleaner parts keeps the oil cleaner = engine running longer. You could then monitor how much oil/water/fuel is being trapped in the can.

RMB, Raytheeagle and Prodigyplace like this.
  6. Abu Rais

Abu Rais Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Here is the OCC after I drove 5460 miles. Not all the way up but more than half of the can. Next time after 2000 miles I am going to empty the can and will see how it looks.

Attached Files:

Bay Stater, danlatu, scona and 2 others like this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Is that the Moroso 85474 Universal Air/Oil Separator? That's the one I have.

8. qettyz

qettyz Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Slowly getting the parts i need.
    But a question, anyone using OCC in cold? Any problems with freezing?
    Been thinking that should i worry OCC lines getting frozen since very short PCV tube behind intake will extended far out to left headlight. Got to be sure that there is no down slopes on where water can cumulate.

OEM short PCV tube hugs in warm between crankcase and intake;)

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've heard mention of OCC content freezing, haven't looked too hard though....: You can be the guinea pig. (y)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  10. jack black

jack black Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    what is that elaborate OCC stand?

11. 12voltman

12voltman Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, you guys can put me on the list for the next OCC install.
    Have had my 2011 for 3 trouble free years , in all kinds of weather . Purchased it with about 30,000 miles on the clock, and now its just about to creep over to 70,000. Prime time for the dreaded cold soak knocking syndrome, so I have read.
    Mine started about 2 weeks ago. Very cold morning in the northeast , about 8 degree's F out. Went to start it that morning, and for the first time EVER , it started knocking like crazy. Dropped into reverse real quick, and the noise was a little better . Let it warm up for a minute or so, and the noise went away and it ran great . Fast forward a few days later , with temps hovering around 5-8 degrees F , and it did it again . (this one I may have been partially to blame , as I started it first thing in the Am to check it and it was fine. Stupidly, not thinking I shut it off about 2 minutes later. When I went to restart it and head out for the day, about 2 hours later ...............it started knocking again. )
    Car has been inside the garage ever since, and I have been using my truck until I had time to get to it. Ordered a black non-vented Ruien style OCC that day , and just waiting for it to come in . Should be in today hopefully .

Going to pull the intake/throttle body and clean it out good . Pull the EGR cooler and pipe assy , and clean those good with Oxiclean and maybe some brake clean.
    Also going to do an oil change, because its due.
    Also, going to install some new spark plugs and air filter . (any advise on the best spark plugs for a gen3 ?)
    Last thing on the list is to install the new OCC .

Will take some pictures of the amount of oil residue in the intake, the dirty EGR ,and the OCC install .
    Going to mount the OCC right behind the drivers side headlight like danlatu's install. Kind of up in the air with a holder bracket for the OCC .
    .........Wishing Danlatu would sell some of the updated 2 bolt OCC holder brackets to PriusChat members ....... hint,hint ! ;)
    I will take one , just send me your paypal info ! :)(y):whistle:

BTW, thanks to danlatu for this fix , and the other PriusChat members who have lent there support !

Will report back on how I make out , with some pictures hopefully .

#491 12voltman, Jan 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  12. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Have not had a problem yet. 7~19 degrees Fahrenheit here in Maryland. I have dumped the oil catch can in 19 degree weather and can is warm.

13. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for your detailed description of what is going on with your car. Ours did pretty much the same thing and I know the dealer is full of sh!t when it comes to solutions for a problem.

It takes 5 hours to just print the bracket. I had to play with the hot end temps, bed temps and speed for printing nylon. Nylon also has a shrink rate a lot like abs filament. I have to get these #'s correct for strength and fitment. I have had to play with sizes .150 ~.350 for shrink tolerances. Not too tight, not too loose. I am almost there, that is why the thingiverse has a work in progress @ the top. I had to pull the baffle file because it ended up getting stuck inside the can. The heat from the oil swelled the nylon and it got stuck. Back to the drawing board kind of thing. I am almost done with all the sizing. I pulled the 2 bolt occ design because a lot of prius do not have the ground strap on the inverter. 90% done with the design so I will sell them soon. Just pm me in a week, I should have all of this sorted out by then.
    With the occ in place. You will not have to worry about cold start, shut off then restart with a cold engine to prevent knock. I made a video of that in another post.

#493 danlatu, Jan 9, 2018
    Bay Stater, Colm01 and 12voltman like this.
  14. Abu Rais

Abu Rais Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No. I used the ruien polish baffled can. It was cheaper. $35.99

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  15. 12voltman

12voltman Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks danlatu , will hit you up for one when you get them ready. I will just hold it down with some zip-ties for now, lol :D .
    Single hold down bolt style is probably better , would fit most all Prius gen 3's , with or without ground strap. Good Call.
    Got my OCC today, will be installing it by the weekend hopefully . Luckily , I have a heated shop with a lift. Makes things ........easier.
    Thanks again !

#495 12voltman, Jan 9, 2018
  16. 12voltman

12voltman Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just a quick question for anyone running the Ruien style OCC.
    Mine came today and there is NO o-ring on the "dip-stick". I cant see anyway this will make a positive seal without an o-ring .
    Does everyone else's "dip-stick" have an o-ring on it at the top groove ?

17. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I do not have an "O" ring on the dipstick. I have zero issues with air leaking in.

Bay Stater, Raytheeagle and 12voltman like this.
  18. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry 6hrs 8min
    Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 7.07.28 PM.png

19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What holds the OCC in the hole, just close tolerance, friction?

20. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Close tolerance, I drive through the city and pretty much offroad the prius. It does pop out unless I pull it out.

Mendel Leisk likes this.