1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil Catch Can, Eliminate that knock!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by danlatu, May 22, 2017.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Zero, insurance claim, deductable waived: other driver acknowledged fault, very good about. My wife was just parked, other driver misjudged clearance when cornering.

They're really good at "blending" these days, cannot see any transition, not even sure how far they painted. I know there was a bit of peeling on the rear face of the bumper (it's had a previous repaint, after I was T-boned in that corner), that peeling is gone too I think, judging from the pic, I should have a close look.

I should have asked how they cured the saggy butt: maybe some shims on the clips under there?

#581 Mendel Leisk, Jan 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    Bay Stater and bisco like this.
  2. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I assume it did not knock because you cleaned out your intake plenum were you had oil/water/fuel sitting from the pic you showed below the throttle body. The oil catch can will keep this area cleaner. (y)

12voltman likes this.
  3. qettyz

qettyz Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Checked my OCC today, about half dl of broun water fuel mixture. Last week i drove alot short trips and today then longer, so i assume this moisture from oil.

BUT, took OCC of, i cannot risk that its going to freeze.
    After drive, tubes front of inverter to OCC were soo cold -> guarantee that then those freeze.

Im putting that back in spring. Maybe with insulated tubes and some heater element.
    Best would be installing it like @Mendel Leisk . Tubes directly down. But then it is hard to reach. At lest based on this one day my emptying intervar would be week.
    Leveled tubes, like i had in front of inverter are no no for cold. Investigated this a lot today from local forums and decided that OCC had to go for now.

Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    One deciliter is 100 milliliter, just for info. So @qettyz 's talking about 50 milliliters. I had a similar amount, but with roughly 2500 kms travelled, with a fair bit of rain, temps typically 0C to +7C

The engine bay will always warm up, and it's debatable if freezing in the bottom of the OCC will mean blockage in the air flow. Not sure really. Putting foam pipe insulation between fender seam and hood will help too to hold the heat in. Here's ours, year 'round like this:

IMG_8108.JPG

#584 Mendel Leisk, Jan 14, 2018
    danlatu likes this.
  5. qettyz

qettyz Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Its not a problem is bottom of OCC freezes, tubes are problem.
    There has been lots of cars in Finland, Citroens for example and older Opel Omegas what has been ”famous” of oils running out of engine at winter because of stock PCV tube has frozen.
    Cold tubes will start getting water from warm air passing by, and if tube is level or there is slope it will then gather there and freeze because cold air blast the tubes.

I just have to insulate tubes and put tube heater. At least i can safely use OCC in our summer time.
    Insulating edges of engine bay does not help since -15c air is blasting thru front of the car to engine bay. PCV systems tend to freeze just when cruising for example 60mph.
    Of course engine bay is warm when parked and PCV air warms hoses, but that does not help when cruising.

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You can grill block too, with the same stuff:

IMG_8107.JPG

With our moderate conditions I've only put in one tube (50% block), but for sure you should use two, as long as conditions are steadily sub-freezing.

It's your car, your risk assessment, but I'd be inclined to wait and see, albeit monitoring closely (if that's possible). If the regular PCV hose between the valve could freeze, is it really any worse if there's a catch can added, with a deep sump, below the air flow?

Again, as you note: maybe short lines down to low mounted OCC and then back up to intake manifold, are the best way to keep the hoses clear and less freeze-prone.

danlatu, Prodigyplace and qettyz like this.
  7. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I understand the concern for the tube to freeze if there is too much moisture. As the engine is running the tubes warm up quickly and will stay warm as the engine is on. Hot blow-by gasses are flowing through these tubes even at cruising. The occ prevents cold start knock by keeping the intake plenum clean. I would keep it on. Risking a cold start knock and blowing a head gasket is the last thing anyone wants. Crankcase ventilation is for preventing seals in your engine to leak and recirculate internal combustion gases. The only way oil would run out of the prius (through main seal, pulley seal, any engine seal) is if both pcv and upper crankcase vent had been plugged. But I'm willing to bet the dipstick would pop out if this were to ever happen. If it were colder than 30 degrees fahrenheit, you could always block the grill like @mendel suggests. Prius would get better mpg due to engine having to run less by staying at temp longer.
    Turbo evo with too much blow-by blows dipstick out.

#587 danlatu, Jan 14, 2018
  8. Lightning Racer

Lightning Racer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I finally installed my OCC yesterday. One run to the OCC, located behind the left side headlight like danlatu's, was braided hose attached directly to the PCV valve. For the other run, I kept the existing ventilation hose intact instead of cutting it in half like many of you did. I rotated the end attached to the intake manifold so other end points below the throttle body area of the intake manifold. The spliced in new hose then does a U-turn under the throttle body before going to the OCC.

I did use hose clamps or the existing spring clips on the connections. I've had those hose barbs slip in other applications (particularly when the hose gets cold), though admittedly under tension that the OCC hoses don't get.

For securing the OCC behind the headlight, I like the foam cup cozy concept, for now at least. Since I didn't have one, I wrapped a running shoe insole and another soft pad around and under the OCC and taped it up with Gorilla tape. To keep the OCC from moving, I secured the two hoses where they enter the OCC to the car with a 1-inch nylon strap with a ladder lock wrapped around that body color brace behind the headlamp. That will be easier to loosen than cable ties when I need to open the OCC.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i thought we would be out there this month, but a bum shoulder and a new grandson put the kibosh on that. maybe next year, although, i'd love to make the concourse d'elegance at pebble...

Raytheeagle and Prodigyplace like this.
  10. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The concur de lemons is also an option:p.

I know Wayne Carini from out your way attends both(y).

bisco likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    exactly. my plan was to fly to arizona in early january, then drive out to sandiego and up the coast. go well...

Raytheeagle likes this.
  12. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Uh .. that was me!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. 12voltman

12voltman Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Update -
    No cold soak knock to date POST OCC install , and temps in the northeast have been single digits for a few days now. Hopefully that will be the end of the knocking cold soak syndrome , now that an OCC has been installed. (really worried about the knocking causing head gasket issues , so will be nice to eliminate that possible cause ) .

Put a few hundred miles since my OCC install last week , and did my first "check and drain" .
    Was very surprised at the amount of "mucus" that already found its way into the OCC . It was a combination of water (frozen) , oily residue, and a fuel smelling liquid that was not water (since it did not freeze) .
    To think the engine was trying to burn this mess is crazy ! :eek::eek::eek:

Here are the first "check and drain" pictures ...... Yes, that is a disk of ice at the bottom !
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Proof is in the pudding , I guess !

#593 12voltman, Jan 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    qettyz, SFO, danlatu and 2 others like this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  15. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Here’s my follow-up.

It was about 5 degrees F (-15 C) yesterday morning when I took these pics.
    Yes, the fluid collected in the can is frozen. There was oil residue and ice crystals on the stainless steel mesh at the intake. There’s no noticeable obstruction though — air could freely pass through.
    This car is mostly driven on the highway at speeds of 70-80 mph (120-130kph) sometimes with ambient temps below 0F (-20C). I’m not at all worried about freezing.

Attached Files:

16. Joele3

Joele3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Here are some pictures of what gunk is getting stored. Thats the nipple removed for cleaning. Been having some head gasket issues. OCC was installed after intake and EGR cleaning. My coolant tank is clean no contaminates. My oil looks clear no coolant in it. Oil cap not dirty , dipstick looks normal. This was the third time cleaning the can( the dirtiest).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    That's terrible looking -- I've never had anything that consistency. I wonder why it's so thick?

18. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    What does the oil smell like? Since the coolant is now being lost, could the head sealer be some of this?

19. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good question, as it sure does have a mucoidal thing going on.

Maybe crowd sourcing additional 'catch can' data sets would offer some insight into this gelatinous mess.

Might it have something to do with Synthetic vs Conventional, and or varying weights?

danlatu likes this.
  20. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Screen Shot 2018-01-17 at 5.26.24 PM.png

#600 danlatu, Jan 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    xliderider, Prodigyplace and SFO like this.