1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil Catch Can, Eliminate that knock!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by danlatu, May 22, 2017.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Wow, you're not kidding:

2. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    They are very expensive, but seem to be custom fit per application?

3. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Moroso does that too, basically a custom mounting bracket and specific install instructions. For some US vehicles.

4. Kingsway

Kingsway Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Active
    For anyone who might be interested... I have a 2014 Yaris Hybris / 'Prius C' -with 55 000 miles. If I'm not mistaken the engine is a slightly modified version of the Gen 3 engine.

I've been wanting to make sure it doesn't have quite the same problems with fouling caused by the PCV, so this morning I took it out and had a look.

The good news is that the PCV valve has been moved to the top of the engine - in the right-rear corner of the valve cover, and access is quite easy.

pcv-valce-cleaning.png

What is more interesting is that downstream from the valve is a zinc-plated canister - I believe it is listed as a 'vapour canister' - which is almost certainly a means of separating oil from air/vapour. It has one inlet on top and two outlets below, which lead under the inlet manifold.. My guess is one outlet goes to the manifold, and the other is an oil return to the sump.

pcv-or-wot.jpg

It has one inlet on top, and two outlets below that lead under the inlet manifold. My guess is that it is an oil separator similar to the cyclonic one fitted to some BMW models. With the oil that is separated from the air/vapour being retired to the sump.

cyclone.jpg

I inspected both my PCV valve and EGR pipe this morning, and found no sign of any coking or noticeable deposit at all - the expression 'clean as a whistle' comes to mind. Quite a suprise after 55 000 miles!

At best there was a light coating of soot, and the PCV valve was no more than slightly oily.

my-pcv-valve-at-54000.jpg

This does raise the question in my mind as to whether it might be worth modifying the Gen 3 Valve Cover and moving the PCV valve up to the top of the engine. Then I guess the addition of an Oil Catch Can would be a 'no brainer'.

So, as far as my car is concerned, my mind has been put at rest, and I probably don't need to do anything more. But I did already order a very nice OCC for £13 on Ebay - well-made enough I can't imagine how they make it for the price, and I certainly wouldn't bother building one!

I also have one of the BMW cyclonic separators on the way (£9.99!) so I will be interested, just for fun, to try installing them just after the PCV valve and see how much oil or crud they collect. (and see if it keeps the sump-oil cleaner for longer?)

BTW The EGR valve and cooler have been moved, compared to the Gen 3 and are quite quick and easy to access! The cooler is smaller, for some reason...

#824 Kingsway, Apr 5, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    danlatu, Bay Stater, scona and 2 others like this.
  5. Kingsway

Kingsway Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Active
    Prius C / Yaris HSD PCV and EGR valves....

curved-spanner..jpg

mjoo likes this.
  6. Kingsway

Kingsway Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Active
    EGR pipe, and where it joins the manifold - not much more than just slightly discoloured after 55 000 miles!

egr-manifold-end.jpg egr-pipe.jpg

Bay Stater, m.wynn, Civiceg94 and 4 others like this.
  7. Civiceg94

Civiceg94 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I wonder why toyota puts the pcv in different location on the same engines then.

8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's not the same engine, on a Prius c?

I replaced the PCV valve on a Civic Hybrid a while back, in was in similar, pain-in-the-butt location, below the intake manifold.

9. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The Prius C engine isn't the same as the Gen-3.

The Prius C uses the 1.5 ltr 1NZ-FXE engine found in the earlier Gen-2 Prius -- albeit with updates that weren't on the earlier Prius models -- like beltless accessories and EGR cooler.

10. Kingsway

Kingsway Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Active
    Unfortunately, I can't find a way to edit my original post... (Several people told me it was a development of the gen 3!)

11. Kingsway

Kingsway Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Active
    Just a thought - did the Gen 2 engine also have the PCV valve under the manifold? Did it also have problems with fouling of the manifold?

I've just had a look at the video by the wonderful Prof Kelly at Weber State U. about the Gen 2 transaxle.

Apparently it is designated 3CM next to the drive shaft output on the left side of the casing... Too wet to have a look under my car for the moment - but I'm wondering if it is indeed the same trans-axle which has a chain drive?

3CM.png

fitting-chain.png

#831 Kingsway, Apr 6, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe it's a gen 2 engine but with some mods? On my 3rd gen the PCV valve (below intake manifold) screws into a flanged plate on the side of the engine block. Maybe there's also a similar but blank flanged plate that could be sub'd.

It seems to me too, with some PCV systems, there's two sets of hoses, a lower one between a crankcase mounted PCV valve and intake manifold, and at the top a hose between the valve cover and the pipe between air filter and throttle body. I don't have more than an inkling, but was thinking maybe the top hose is somehow to balance air pressure inequities caused by the bottom hose. Completely out of my depth though, just speculating.

Bay Stater likes this.
  13. Kingsway

Kingsway Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Active
    Mine has two hoses. The PCV valve is at the right rear, and at the front right is a largish hose drawing clean air from the inlet, just before it goes into the throttle body

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Here's an illustration. Seems my inkling was close, you're pulling air out of the crankcase, and feeding air in to replace it, with the other line:

upload_2018-4-6_9-38-28.png

Positive crankcase ventilation

Bay Stater likes this.
  15. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The PCV valve on the Gen-2 is in the same place as yours, but the Gen-2 doesn't have the EGR system your has. My recollection was that it was not uncommon to have slight oil accumulation in the intake, but there were no issues with clogged EGR systems (since there was no EGR system), and therefore no head gasket issues. Also very few oil consumption issues.

Bay Stater, m.wynn and mjoo like this.
  16. m3pare

m3pare Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    6000 miles later on my Ruien OCC... here’s what I’ve collected and how the hoses look.

B10320E0-BA31-4484-80E5-276F1FC89018.jpeg

BFEB652F-901D-4C97-A6A8-5A26A552DDBF.jpeg

17. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Same amount of material and appearance to what I found today CD67FF96-ED4A-4EC7-84D9-4EFE00EC760F.jpeg .

Only the braided vacuum hoses on my occ after 6500 miles have flattened :(.

Time to go and buy some vacuum hoses(y).

#837 Raytheeagle, Apr 6, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  18. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Agree that the spooge accumulation under the throttle body is as "normal" in gen 2 as it is in gen 3. It appears the C engine also gets a gen 3 -style, plastic intake manifold vs. the gen 2 aluminum looking one. Kingsway's pic into the EGR port of the intake manifold certainly gives the impression that this external EGR circuit may resist clogging better than gen 3. It looks clean... I'd love to see this entire circuit torn down for a comparison!

SFO, Bay Stater and Raytheeagle like this.
  19. qettyz

qettyz Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Prof Kelly has dedicated video about Prius C/Yaris HSD transaxle here, its not same as Gen2 prius.

20. Damagio

Damagio New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well...it was nice and damp here Thursday morning, and I got "the knock'. Also after work pulling out onto the road while the engine wasn't warmed up I through another 301 CEL code. So, I ordered an EGR cooler from Ebay for $90...looks like it comes with the EGR valve too, so that's a score. I figure this way I can clean it up really well and go from there. Will report back, but probably won't get to this for a week or two. Also may have an EGR cooler for sale for $90 soon! LOL.

Bay Stater and Raytheeagle like this.