1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil Catch Can, Eliminate that knock!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by danlatu, May 22, 2017.

1. putty

putty Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I added a small separator to the OCC outlet, the OCC is working fine I just thought to add something with a filter. When I cut the outlet hose it was dry. I still must set up my support for the can.

Attached Files:

m.wynn, Rebound, Bay Stater and 3 others like this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sometimes funky is just fine. (y)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. Juba79

Juba79 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Hello, guys from Priuschat, from Spain, after reading the post I decided to install, the OCC, place it on the right side, remove the water intake of the windshield, and in this I put a plug of cork.

The PCV valve, I put it new and connect the direct pipe to the OCC, the air inlet to the intake manifold, rotate it approximately 90 °, and connect it with an adapter, to the pipe and from this to the OCC, below the intake manifold.

Take advantage of and clean the intake manifold, engine block inlet, and EGR pipe, after 300km, the OCC, now here it is summer, with temperatures of 100 ° F, had not collected anything, but the PCV outlet pipe, it is filling little by little, with oil.

I could see in a video of Nutz about bolts, that the hose of the PCV, was narrower, than the entrance to the collector, influences something ???

I attached some photos.

Attached Files:

#1183 Juba79, Aug 15, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    Bay Stater, danlatu, RMB and 2 others like this.
  4. RMB

RMB Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Good job and nice location for mounting the OCC.(y)

But those clear plastic tubes has got to go, don't think they are fuel and oil compatible.;)

5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    3/8" Inside Diameter black rubber fuel line, spec SAE 30R7 is good, not that expensive either: $1.50 to $2.00 per foot. Most automotive stores would have it.

qettyz, Raytheeagle and RMB like this.
  6. Hsieh2017

Hsieh2017 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Better to have the OCC mounted lower than the PCV, since oil vapor will condense in side of the hose. If OCC is higher than PCV, oil will be collected in the hose(or PCV) and increase air flow resisitance. If OCC is lower, the collected oil will flow into the OCC instead of staying inside of hose.It just my thought and I do mount OCC under the PCV(exact location is under engine air filter case; difficult to reach and drain the oil).

Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah I put my OCC lower as well, on a bracket* on the cross-beam below. Access from above is nigh impossible (unless you like pulling out the air box). But DIY'ing oil changes, I just drain the OCC at the same time. It really helps that my OCC has a tap on the bottom (Moroso 85474, good, but pricey :(). On the flipside, sludge can build up in it, doesn't drain that readily, so once every few years a complete removal and clean-out is a good idea I think.

* If you put any bolts/brackets on that cross-beam, put something compressible in the interface, say rubber washers or gasket. You want the connection stable/solid but with a little give. That beam needs to flex, especially if you use the front/centre jacking point, which is the underside of that beam.

8. qettyz

qettyz Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have OCC next to inventer converter so its higher than PVC. I removed OCC for last winter and did not see any extra fluid on tube. I actually was expecting to see some, so took extra care for removing it and looking if there is any.
    Fall is coming here and in couple of months i have to take OCC away again when temps go near freezing.
    I will see if there is anything on the tube between PCV and OCV now because OCC has been installed since April/May.

Still i would not be worried if there is some fluid. Vacuum is so high so it will pull it to OCC.

9. Juba79

Juba79 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Well, I used transparent silicone tubes, to prevent heat, with respect to the location, as I saw that most of them located it on the inverter's side, higher and further away, it did not seem bad to me, after 400km in the city, hardly I collected nothing.

10. RMB

RMB Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    By the way, what did you do to the windshield washer bottle filling neck?:rolleyes:

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm guessing he fills with a transmission funnel?

upload_2018-8-19_18-39-15.png

RMB likes this.
  12. qettyz

qettyz Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I checked PCV-OCC tube and there was only five drops of mystery goo.
    During the summer i have collected maybe little more than 3ozof oil and stuff.
    So maybe there is nothing to worry about installing OCC higher than PCV valve.

13. Juba79

Juba79 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Fill the tank, it is not a problem I use a funnel, with a sleeve, apart, it has led lights, with washer headlights, and the tank is bigger, here where I live is not used much, I fill it once a year.

14. Stangar

Stangar Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Mmmmm, . . . I can top that. I removed my windshield wipers, front and rear. They were removed a year ago. It doesn’t rain here. I’ve got that clean Chip Foose look on my Prius. Better aero. True.

15. Juba79

Juba79 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I envy, I always liked the clean look, style a single windshield wiper, like Mercedes, or none, hot rod style

16. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No, who don’t you post some facts instead of spouting nonsense and conjecture?

Manufacturing anything consumes resources. We already figured that out.

17. Juba79

Juba79 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Hello guys, because I was not totally convinced, and after studying put it lower, I was not attractive, for the difficult access, and I have placed it, on the opposite side, is a little higher, but the distance of the hoses is less.

I have replaced the inlet hose with a smaller diameter, specific, for gasoline and oil, 3/8 "- 9 mm (metric), The out line is the same but more shorter.

Taking advantage of the change of location, I cleaned the interior and this time if I had collected oil, in approximate 600 km, but I noticed a little oil in the intake manifold, when it had been cleaned, and installed the occ, may not well its function ???

3.jpg 2.jpg
    1.jpg

Bay Stater, RMB and Mendel Leisk like this.
  18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Some oil seems to originate from the intake ports, dribbles down, but just a small fraction of what's put in there by the PCV circuit I think.

19. RMB

RMB Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Exact same location where I put mine (y) Next to the inverter coolant reservoir.

Juba79 likes this.
  20. Juba79

Juba79 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Hello guys, I see one mishimoto 3 port oil catch tank, 2 in, 1 out, anyone try install with two inlet, one the PCV, and the other, upper exit of the rocker cover?

mishimoto-compact-baffled-oil-catch-can-red-3-port-universal_large.png IMG_20180827_133333.jpg

Thanks.

Mendel Leisk likes this.