1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil Catch Can, Eliminate that knock!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by danlatu, May 22, 2017.

1. Tbkilb01

Tbkilb01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    IMG_5601.JPG IMG_5599.JPG IMG_5592.JPG IMG_5593.JPG IMG_5595.JPG IMG_5597.JPG IMG_5598.JPG I unplugged the small hose from PCV to intake and noticed it was oily like accumulating! So I Decided to just go ahead and do the OCC......................(per DENLATU )...........
    today as long as wipers were off and air box... went on scavenger hunt at pull u parts and found an clean power steering reservoir and hoses that grabbed my eye. Paid the man and worked design. Unplugged PCV and ran hose. Connected other hose to intake
    Plugged cap with cork for now to avoid vacuum leak! I'll most likely use rubber stopper later.
    Seems right? Turned upside down to position for draining and vacuum... we shall see...fingers crossed ... thanks DENLATU (y):giggle:

#121 Tbkilb01, Aug 4, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    Simtronic and danlatu like this.
  2. Tbkilb01

Tbkilb01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I meant "DANLATU" ...apologies
    :sick:(n):whistle:
    However, wondering if I should move it lower? It's a long way to OCC in current location.
    Perhaps below snorkel resonators? Plenty of room down there.
    Allow oily to move away from PVC and down into OCC?

#122 Tbkilb01, Aug 6, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    mjoo likes this.
  3. Yippeekyaa

Yippeekyaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Basically that was my thinking on where mine got mounted. Wanted the occ to be lower than the pcv and the intake. Remove the snorkel and look at all the space under it. Zip tie it under there. You can even mount it in such a way that it can be checked every oil change from the flap underneath.

Btw love your creativity of scrounging at a pick and pull to find something to make your own. Two big thumbs up.

mjoo likes this.
  4. Tbkilb01

Tbkilb01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    IMG_5471.JPG Thanks
    I'm on it!
    The great thing is the hoses I grabbed have bends in them so it's just about finding the right position

mjoo likes this.
  5. Tbkilb01

Tbkilb01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    IMG_5472.JPG IMG_5474.JPG IMG_5473.JPG Well seems to workout just fine
    The hoses really wanted to cooperate and just fell into place. The reservoir also found a sweet spot. Just lodged itself. Might zip tie...in case I pull General Lee over a train crossing o_O

mjoo and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I do not think it matters where the oil catch can is. The air pressure from the crank case will push the oil into the catch when it is mounted high or low. All I know is that for the last 2 years and 30k miles, we have had zero knock from the 2010, The 2011 prius has 3k+ since the rebuild with no knock at start so mission accomplished. Now all I have to worry about are things like when do I need new pads and rotors for the 2010 because they are the original set. 110k miles for original brakes baffles me? In a good way. I suspect there is more rust than wear.

Simtronic and jjmerp like this.
  7. Tbkilb01

Tbkilb01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    image.jpg I ran brakes to almost Toyota minimum which is pretty darn low! I think 1mm? Mine were at 3mm.
    Scary low by gauge. Nonetheless it was 171k when I changed mine. Front wore but the back are right at 50%. I left them on since dealer was out anyway...:confused:
    I haven't had any rattle since Mod and I've ran nearly 100 miles intentionally daily to get a good cold start in the morning and it's not rattling.
    It had just begun to rattle and I immediately parked it when I began to hear it, until I could figure something out, before damaging the engine. One mechanic friend heard it and said it was nothing but us PRI know our vehicles! 185k and you know when something's not right! So I researched and went ahead and did the intake cleaning along with throttle body, egr/cooler, and the infamous OCC (kudos to DANLATU and his adamant findings) and just went ahead knocked it all out!
    Thanks to all of PriusChat community for input...so far I am a believer! My advise: JUST DO IT! don't wait till problems start!
    Toyota really missed a beat.., it happens I guess even to the the best!

#127 Tbkilb01, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    Montgomery, RMB, mjoo and 1 other person like this.
  8. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    About 76.5k miles on my Prius---more than some Prii have when they begin serious oil-guzzling, but less than the median (~105k, I've read). As previously noted, it consumes extremely little oil overall, so far, so I can't see how a catch can could accomplish much. I take it you don't subscribe to the conventional theory that excessive oil consumption by these engines is caused by coking of the piston rings, ring grooves, drain holes, etc., just as in several other older Toyota engine families?

Yes, my Mazda's engine had pretty much "original everything," as far as oily metal bits subject to wear. However, it did receive a head transplant at 476,402 miles due to erosion of head coolant passages.

Sorry 'bout my delay responding. (Access to PriusChat has become inconvenient.)

9. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What do you think causes the "coking of the piston rings, ring grooves, drain holes, etc"? If you don't know, you need to take out your intake manifold and have a good look at it. You'll see a gluey mess that's a mixture of soot + oil.

All methods for removing carbon from automotive parts with chemicals involve some way to dissolve oil.

What do you think might happen when the piston rings coke and cause oil consumption? More blow-by through the PCV leading to more coking of the combustion chambers and intake.

It's a vicious cycle a.k.a a bomb.

danlatu's catch can is meant to snuff out the bomb's fuse.

Tbkilb01 and danlatu like this.
  10. Tbkilb01

Tbkilb01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That gooy mess is getting sucked up into combustion chambers no doubt in my mind. When I took off intake besides being "full" of oil in the small useless "catch" Toyota put below throttle body, there was oily everywhere throughout the intake and there was that same "gooy"oil on valves waiting to get sucked in and cause misfire or worse! There was also "coking" all around inside head too. Some pretty serious stuff. I didn't have air to blow it out after cleaning so I left the cleaning for a later date but I plan on cleaning it as much as possible. I realy donot want to see inside combustion chambers!
    The Prius is not using oil at 185k. I change at 10k and it may be 1pint low. Usually appears that level at 8k however, I do check weekly as precaution. It's not a big deal to install. Just reach in and swap hoses.
    I drive an MX-5 for fun and I might do the OCC mod on it. It has 79k. Revs high all the time. Surely spitting oily air through hoses too. Maybe on all my vehicles? The Previa has 295k and sees long trips. It has that engine pancaked under the seats. Pretty hot down there, and the FJ has 135k and well, likes to be driven.

#130 Tbkilb01, Aug 9, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    danlatu likes this.
  11. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    To anyone doing the intake manifold and EGR system cleaning + PCV catch can please post your before & after fuel economy results for the naysayers. We could start a new thread under the fuel economy forum.

For those curious I'm at a 57 MPG indicated average and I do mostly short trips with A/C around town. I've always used regular gas. My workplace is 4 miles from home.

Pixel XL ?

Jason Beauchamp and danlatu like this.
  12. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Remember oil being burned in the combustion chamber will also make it's way back around through the egr system and will clog the egr cooler, egr valve, intake plenum/valves, and go back into the combustion chamber. The majority of wet oil/water/fuel coming out of the pcv will be trapped in the oil catch can and keep intake manifold, valves and combustion chamber cleaner. Oil catch can creates a smoother running engine, no knock, more efficient combustion, more power and better mpg. You can make one for less than 15$ with right materials. So what do you have to loose. When you dump the oil catch can in a 10k oci, you will see how much oil is being trapped. The knock in my opinion is very bad for the motor and can prevent a head gasket from blowing. Race cars have been using them for decades. It works in the same exact way. If your engine starts to knock because you have oil in the combustion chamber and intake manifold, just remember to come back here for the fix. Toyota will not help you. They will charge you $$$ for a band aid or just waist your time because there is no cel and you cannot duplicate the knock when showing up at the dealership. No car is built perfect. That is why aftermarket is ever so popular.

#132 danlatu, Aug 9, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    mjoo and Montgomery like this.
  13. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There are already people here that have said they have experienced better mpg with the catch can. Thanks MJOO for posting this. I too want more people to chime in on the results of the oil catch can.

Simtronic and mjoo like this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I have some old (but in very good shape) washing machine water supply hose. Has 3/8" I.D. Possible to use with oil catch can? Not sure if it would be oil resistant.

danlatu likes this.
  15. Yippeekyaa

Yippeekyaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Since I added the occ and put in new plugs I've experienced no change in fuel economy. But it has been very hot here in the southeast and ac has been run wide open and eco mode turned off. Maybe that's an increase. I don't know. But the car has ran smoother and seat of the pants it feels more responsive. Placebo effect? Possibly. Time and miles will yield more answers.

NeilPeart, danlatu and mjoo like this.
  16. Tbkilb01

Tbkilb01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It might be too early to respond or pinpoint the root, but after doing the throttle cleaning, EGR pipe/cooler cleaning , installing OCC, and the new 12v battery, my gas mileage is definitely improving. There's probably still oily in route?... I used to be ecstatic when I'd do a little tune up work and see a 50 MPG when I arrived after trips...just to see an improvement was great feeling back then. Now I'm seeing 52.1 and better and haven't changed driving habits. I'm beginning to miss the ole 48's and 49' almost 50 feelings, but I'll take it any day! ...the engine starts smooth and responds great. I think the HV Battery likes the changes too!

Colton, danlatu and mjoo like this.
  17. Tbkilb01

Tbkilb01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's not so much the gas mileage with me as the vehicle itself. Meaning, a vehicle built by Toyota is a vehicle that's capable of lasting 20+ years to me! This little hiccup ( oil out of PCV into intake into valves into combustion chamber...into EGR...) can be a catestrophic disaster to my Prius! as great and awesome of a car that it is I'm sure it was built to last! I hope Toyota stands behind their name and quality and do something to help remedy this. They don't have a problem selling cars but issues as this can and will hurt loyal buyers. Allot of people like new cars, I buy the brand because it's the best! Especially the PRIUS... a reputations at stake!
    I do loves a big Ford too! Built tough IMG_5493.JPG

#137 Tbkilb01, Aug 10, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    mjoo likes this.
  18. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sometimes hose has a part number printed on it. Maybe you can google the specs.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Reposting into relevant thread

There are lots of examples on the internet of how an EGR system affects different car models and the results are the same. Just google "EGR cooler plugged". Although the EGR system is good for emissions and fuel economy it puts deposits on the intake manifold, valves, and EGR cooler. Here is another EGR evangelist proselytizing owners to clean the intake manifold and EGR system and also install a PCV oil catch can:

"The clogging problem that older cars have doesn't seem occur on newer cars as much for a number of reasons: ultra low sulfur diesel fuel, more precise fuel delivery and burn, better oil separators in the PCV, and new EGR systems all reduce the likelihood of clogging"

The '95 Saturn SL2 that I owned had lots of sludge problems, oil burning problems, and it had PCV and EGR systems. I installed a PCV oil catch can and it helped prevent the clogged intake manifold common to that car.

The '07 Saturn Ion I drove was problem free and had no related issues for the life of the car. The aluminum engine ran higher compression but did not have either PCV or EGR systems.

danlatu, Montgomery and Mendel Leisk like this.
  20. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The saturn ion may have a tighter engine tolerance (piston to wall clearance) and may have considerably less blow-by than the prius. It also looks that the pcv is built into the intake plenum and sits higher on the block. This may direct less oil, moisture, fuel fluids back into the intake manifold. No car is perfect, it seems there are engineering flaws in every design. Oil catch cans were generally used on race cars and now used on engine's that are worn out.
    The prius has greater thermal efficiency than other motors due to less engine friction. Toyota either put softer rings or looser piston to wall clearance to achieve this along with the atkinson cycle. This creates less heat, creating more power, smaller radiator with less coolant. The only caveat is excessive blow-by and oil burning. I understand how it works for better mpg but does not seem to be in the favor for the consumer associating Toyota as a brand for reliability and high resale value. The more I read about how many head gasket failures and problems priuschat owners are having has me question what the hell were the toyota engineers thinking. I know that the tacoma, tundra, corolla and other toyota's are having issues with burning oil too. Direct injection is another problem in itself. Sorry to rant.
    I read on jalopnik that FCA has been trying to sell there company to vw, gm and now china. China's response was... We only want jeep, LOL. Maybe toyota will be like FCA and sell to china if they keep this crap up.

Screen Shot 2017-08-21 at 10.46.40 PM.png

mjoo likes this.