1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil Catch Can, Eliminate that knock!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by danlatu, May 22, 2017.

1. Harry9508

Harry9508 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I cleaned the EGR about 3K miles ago.

It has 93K miles on it. and this is the OCC:

Attached Files:

#1561 Harry9508, Jan 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Others are using that, catching stuff. There must be flow through, if your intake's all oily again. What's inside it, any baffle? If it's just open you could try adding some stainless steel wool, just loose.

scona and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    How cold is it in Gilbert Arizona?

If not that cold, you might not have as significant a condensing of lights going on that the rest of us do:cool:.

I’d listen to @Mendel Leisk and increase the residence time of the vapors in the can;).

Where is your catch can mounted:whistle:?

Go low and you’ll be assured it’ll catch something:).

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

SFO and scona like this.
  4. scona

scona Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    I think what has happened is that you drove for 2950 miles after cleaning the egr without a catch can and that is where the oil came from that is in the intake. Then you installed the can and drove 50 miles, which is not enough to catch hardly any oil. I run mine at least 1 month and there may be a few ounces in that period. Most here run from 3 to 6 months to get to the larger amounts that we see in some of the photos shown in the forum. As Mendel has stated you may need some steel wool in the can to help it collect better, it will take some experimenting to get it sorted out. It sounds like you are on the right track, just give it a month or so to show some progress.

5. Harry9508

Harry9508 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Guys I am thinking of doing a EGR job tomorrow, with that I'll also clean intake manifold again (after 3 days again LOL) and I'll try to adjust OCC near the Driver's Side Head Lamp, right now it's near the engine cover which is a bit higher now. Plus, I'll try to obtain some steel shavings to put inside the OCC.

By the way, after cleaning the manifold recently, my exhaust tip is much cleaner then before so it's definitely the oil in the manifold. Moreover, I know Otto cycle engines push some air-fuel mixture out back in to the manifold, but I rarely doubt this mixture to contain oil vapors unless your piston rings are worn out and they pull some vapors up from the crankcase which ultimately are push back to the manifold. But again, I don't think that's the case with my motor cause it still feels powerful, my plugs are always brown and clean.

6. Harry9508

Harry9508 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey guys, I just noticed today that upon maintaining a cruise speed of 37 mph, I get about roughly 42mpg with ICE running and not on battery power. Is that a good figure for the motor? My civic 1.5T shows 49 mpg at 37 mph.

But as I get to 60mph, mpg drops to about 39 which I really think is low. I have read many threads but there's never a definitive answer. Tire pressure's at 32psi, 95 Ron, outside 56 degrees

7. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You’ve read many but have yet found thr correct the answers. Steel shavings will get sucked inside your engine w/o a fine filter and it’s an Atkinson cycle.

Mendel Leisk and Harry9508 like this.
  8. Harry9508

Harry9508 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Oh shoot, I meant Atkinson cycle. and Thanks for the heads up on the metal shavings! this OCC doesn't have any filter so I think I shouldn't do that.

9. NewHybridOwner

NewHybridOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Not stainless-steel shavings, but one of those stainless-steel pot scrubbers.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    People on YouTube are using steel shavings in their catch can, and the info made its way here :LOL:

11. Harry9508

Harry9508 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah yeah, I don't think this will damage anything? In fact this won't ever disintegrate

Attached Files:

12. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That makes sense. And if he doesn’t clean his intake, the oil should eventually get burned and the symptom should go away.

13. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just looked at one of those at the store... I decided against it. If just a bit of that stainless steel comes loose and blows into your engine, it will wreak havoc on your pistons and valves.

14. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    We’re all in trouble then :eek:

15. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Use fine steel wool. You can get it at the dollar store, for a dollar. Or just about anywhere.
    "IF" any breaks free and get into the engine, it's so thin and fine it won't do anything to the engine.
    Many have used it without any problems.

16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My Moroso can came with heavy-duty stainless steel wire "biscuits". I guess the key is to have a material that's free of loose fragments.

IMG_1777.JPG

ASRDogman likes this.
  17. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I use broken glass in mine.

Pixel XL ?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  18. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    When we were kids, the say was "Pics or it didn't happen" :whistle:

Rebound and mjoo like this.
  19. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Mine has a wire mesh as a filter medium firewall and I stuck stainless steel scrubber thingies between firewall and intake side so technically there is 2 filtering in tandem.

Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.
  20. Eddie25

Eddie25 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Joined the club today (140k miles). Took about 3 hours for an intake cleaning and OCC install, plus new PCV. Feels good. I'm a little nervous as there does seem a scenario where the catch can is the fist line of defense against something on the road (besides the plastic), but I guess so is the oil pan... so hopefully not an issue.

Intake wasn't that bad, coated but not 'pooled'. Original PCV was fine. The little holes on the intake were the worst. The intake of engine block had minimal carbon caking that I decided to leave alone. Cleaned MAP with electrical contact cleaner, hopefully that works out (see below, didn't realize how expensive these were until today).

Pinched the throttle coolant hoses for more room on the OCC install. I think it actually did help with drill access and was nice, but it ended up exactly like the nuts and bolts video in that I spilled coolant, mostly on the MAP. The throttle basically didn't need cleaning so maybe I should have taken the advice to leave the coolant lines hooked up.

The aftermarket throttle body to intake gasket did not seat well because of that screen thing, I just re-used the original one.

I installed the $25 amazon OCC with a bracket on the main crossbeam under the intake. I only used one 10-24 screw with a lock nut and rubber grommet. Zip tied in case it fails. Solid, but still slight left to right play if forced. Not sure if this is best, but I'll keep an eye on it.

Slight engine hiccup on first engine start up... but normal after that.

Here's to keeping this thing purring a little longer.

scona, Raytheeagle and Grit like this.